LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 271 users in the forums

Expecting to be disappointed

Baalke needs to hit a HOME RUN on this draft. He does tend to polarize on a "player of need" and the tends to fall in love with a certain player at this position and reach a tad (not a huge amount but a tad). This is his history.

This year, I hope he sticks with BPA. If a Todd Gurley is staring you in the face at #15, grab him. I'd feel much more comfortable with this pick then overpaying for a Byron Jones, Kevin Johnson, Eddie Goldman, Arik Armstead type of guy who only has a top 20-40 skill set.

But I guess I'll believe it when I see it. I so desperately want one of the following on our team tomorrow night: Danny Shelton, Trae Waynes, Davante Parker, or Todd Gurley. If they aren't available, then trade back into the 20s, gain more picks and then reschuffle the deck. Chances are that many of the guys in my second paragraph will still be there.

So Trent Baalke. DON'T OVERPAY this year. Please.
Originally posted by Andra:
I think everyone in the zone should start hoping we draft Armstead at 15. Seriously it's important.

Why the optimism on Armstead?
  • Andra
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NickSh49:
I think everyone in the zone should start hoping we draft Armstead at 15. Seriously it's important.

It's the only way to make sure it doesn't happen.
  • nj9er
  • Veteran
I'll be excited if we get a potential #1 WR
I'll be fine if we draft for OL
I'll accept taking a corner
I'll be disappointed if we tak Armstead

However if the top 3 WR are off the board at 15 need to make every attempt to trade down.
Originally posted by NickSh49:

It's the only way to make sure it doesn't happen.

Lol so true. The only time I remember 49ers picking a player I wanted was Crabtree lol. Every time I have a draft crush they never get picked.
Baalke's done pretty well drafting near the end the past few years...I'm pretty stoked at what he'll do at #15. If some team makes him a good offer, he'll likely trade down in the 1st to get at least another 3rd rd pick. He'll probably make a few other trades and end up with quite a few good to excellent players. He's lost a lot of vets and he'll do his best to restock maybe a starter or two but definitely some quality depth.
  • crew
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
i go by what we do on the second and third days,, that is where you build your team in my opinion

Exactly.
I think Parker will fall to the dolphins somehow. We make a trade up one spot and select him while dolphins gain one mid draft pick and select gurley.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pete98146:
Baalke needs to hit a HOME RUN on this draft. He does tend to polarize on a "player of need" and the tends to fall in love with a certain player at this position and reach a tad (not a huge amount but a tad). This is his history.

This year, I hope he sticks with BPA. If a Todd Gurley is staring you in the face at #15, grab him. I'd feel much more comfortable with this pick then overpaying for a Byron Jones, Kevin Johnson, Eddie Goldman, Arik Armstead type of guy who only has a top 20-40 skill set.

But I guess I'll believe it when I see it. I so desperately want one of the following on our team tomorrow night: Danny Shelton, Trae Waynes, Davante Parker, or Todd Gurley. If they aren't available, then trade back into the 20s, gain more picks and then reschuffle the deck. Chances are that many of the guys in my second paragraph will still be there.

How do you know he is reaching ? If he is taking the BPA on his board is it really a reach ?
I like to look at it as a whole not just the 1st round Baalke has brought in some great talent these past 4 drafts and I expect the same.

• SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by KRS-1:

How do you know he is reaching ? If he is taking the BPA on his board is it really a reach ?

It's not just about BPA, we are not drafting a QB because we don't need one. We shouldn't be drafting Gurley because we are paying Hyde, Hunter and Bush to be on the team, this team is not keeping 5-6 RB's

Any player rated in the first round is not a reach. If you think Kevin Johnson is going to be the best CB in the pros why not take him at #15? because he's got a 25 pick rating lol that's just silly.

Now if Trent goes 2012 and takes the 6th best WR in the draft with the first pick like AJ Janky then I'll be pissed.
Originally posted by natrone06:
I mean who really cares if you are disappointed. What do we know? 6 minutes on YouTube and we think we have it figured out. Everyone should take their opinion of the draft less seriously and they would enjoy it more. I have some personal favorites and some players I don't like but ultimately I trust balke way more then my eyes. Its not like Matt Millen is our gm. Anyone we draft I can't wait to over analyze this preseason.

This!

Gurley is starting to scare me. Missed quite a bit of time due to injuries. He could be the next Gore, but could he be the next Lattimore?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR29zxrY2LM
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by natrone06:
I mean who really cares if you are disappointed. What do we know? 6 minutes on YouTube and we think we have it figured out. Everyone should take their opinion of the draft less seriously and they would enjoy it more. I have some personal favorites and some players I don't like but ultimately I trust balke way more then my eyes. Its not like Matt Millen is our gm. Anyone we draft I can't wait to over analyze this preseason.

This!

we sure about this?
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SoCold:
It's not just about BPA, we are not drafting a QB because we don't need one. We shouldn't be drafting Gurley because we are paying Hyde, Hunter and Bush to be on the team, this team is not keeping 5-6 RB's

Any player rated in the first round is not a reach. If you think Kevin Johnson is going to be the best CB in the pros why not take him at #15? because he's got a 25 pick rating lol that's just silly.

Now if Trent goes 2012 and takes the 6th best WR in the draft with the first pick like AJ Janky then I'll be pissed.

Bush and Hunter are on 1 year deals and we can and have carried 4 RB's before. Hunter also returning from 2nd major surgery in 3 years. Hyde should not preclude us from taking Gurley if he is BPA, just like Gio Bernard did not preclude Bengals from using 2nd rounder on Hill last year, or Packers taking Rodgers when they had Favre. We are still likely going to be a run first/run heavy offense and Gurley has more potential than Hyde and is an upgrade over Hunter.

Agree with your second point.

We should take the BPA regardless of position save for QB. FWIW, I would love Kevin Johnson at 15, think he is a great young talent. If we can somehow end up with Jaelen Strong to be Q's understudy that would also be great.
Share 49ersWebzone