LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 327 users in the forums

Expecting to be disappointed

I always get very excited for the draft. It really is like Christmas for me. But, I was thinking about it, and the last few years have really been a let down when it comes to the niners first round pick. The last first round pick I was actually happy about was Crabtree.

2004 31Rashaun Woods WR Oklahoma State University - Well, my happiness doesn't guarantee success. I loved this pick. Still burns me up he didn't work out.
2005 1 Alex Smith QB University of Utah - Was very happy with this one.
2006 6Vernon Davis TE University of Maryland - Was okay with Vernon
22Manny Lawson LB North Carolina State University - Liked Manny.
2007 11Patrick Willis LB University of Mississippi - Thrilled.
28 Joe Staley OT Central Michigan University - Happy, but only because we got a 2008 1st rounder back by trading our 2nd rounder.
2008 29 Kentwan Balmer DT University of North Carolina - Hated the pick. Turns out righfully so.
2009 10 Michael Crabtree WR Texas Tech University - Thrilled.
2010 11 Anthony Davis OT Rutgers - Wasn't big on Davis and didn't love the trade up.
17 Mike Iupati G Idaho - This saved it for me.
2011 7 Aldon Smith LB Missouri - Was happy we passed on Gabbert, but did not expect Aldon.
2012 30 A. J. Jenkins WR Illinois - Disappointed.
2013 18 Eric Reid FS LSU - Liked Reid, but didn't like the trade up
2014 30 Jimmie Ward SS NIU - He wasn't even on my radar.

So I'm guessing we trade up for someone we think we could have gotten at 15, or we stay put and draft someone we thought should go later.

How've you guys felt the last few years.
Its not prefect but its not that bad.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i go by what we do on the second and third days,, that is where you build your team in my opinion
lol a typical zoner. disappointed in any situation. We could have amari cooper magically drop to us at 15 and we would still complain.
I mean who really cares if you are disappointed. What do we know? 6 minutes on YouTube and we think we have it figured out. Everyone should take their opinion of the draft less seriously and they would enjoy it more. I have some personal favorites and some players I don't like but ultimately I trust balke way more then my eyes. Its not like Matt Millen is our gm. Anyone we draft I can't wait to over analyze this preseason.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
lol a typical zoner. disappointed in any situation. We could have amari cooper magically drop to us at 15 and we would still complain.

Did you even look at the list? I was happy with some of our picks. I'm just saying the last few years have been disappointing based on expectations. I think the lesson is that we should expect the unexpected and keep an open mind.

This year, I'm actually excited that we rarely make the consensus pick. I'm not thrilled with Armstead. And for the record, I hope we trade up for Cooper.
Originally posted by jb49ers80:
Originally posted by gold49digger:

Did you even look at the list? I was happy with some of our picks. I'm just saying the last few years have been disappointing based on expectations. I think the lesson is that we should expect the unexpected and keep an open mind.

This year, I'm actually excited that we rarely make the consensus pick. I'm not thrilled with Armstead. And for the record, I hope we trade up for Cooper.

I did look at the list lol im just summing up the zone in general. Yeah I am keeping my expectations in check cause I want a lot of people in the 1st but we can only have one. And same here im all for grabbing cooper
Originally posted by natrone06:
I mean who really cares if you are disappointed. What do we know? 6 minutes on YouTube and we think we have it figured out. Everyone should take their opinion of the draft less seriously and they would enjoy it more. I have some personal favorites and some players I don't like but ultimately I trust balke way more then my eyes. Its not like Matt Millen is our gm. Anyone we draft I can't wait to over analyze this preseason.

I very quickly get excited over our picks after reading up on the prospects (I'm an optimist at heart). My point is just that I get so excited over the draft and hype it up in my mind, but it almost always lets me down. And yet, I'm still super excited for tomorrow.
What would you be pleased with tomorrow?
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
What would you be pleased with tomorrow?

The problem I see is being stuck in no man's land at 15.

I'd prefer a trade up for a WR or a trade down. Ideal wold be Parker falls to us, but that seems unlikely.

At 15, maybe Schreff, Erving, or Waynes.

If we draft Armstead i'll be disappointed but I'll hope that he proves us all wrong and dominates either this season for next.
With Baalke I expect the unexpected.
Pretty sure the only position I'd be dissapointed with is ILB or SS/FS.

I'm expecting any other position on defense or o-line, and that will be fine.

Arik Armstead does worry me. Seems like a Baalke pick and I'm sure he'll be available at #15. I guess that would be a disappointment.
  • buck
  • Veteran
2010---Anthony Davis

2010 17 Mike Iupati

2011 7 Aldon Smith

2012 30 A. J. Jenkins

2013 18 Eric Reid

2014 30 Jimmie Ward

Baalke has had six first round picks.

Four have been good.

One has been bad.

One remains to be decided.
  • Andra
  • Veteran
I think everyone in the zone should start hoping we draft Armstead at 15. Seriously it's important.
Share 49ersWebzone