LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 268 users in the forums

Top players to avoid NFL Draft

What's going on? This is the time a future NFL player should be in the spotlight. With sponsors there and the once in a lifetime exposure why do players like Winston. Mariota and Cooper choose to be no-shows in Chicago. Never happened in NY (at least to this extent), so what's up?
I respect it. If you are on site all of your emotions are constantly being watched. If you are slipping in the draft they constantly flip back to you and it can leave you in an awkward position. If a team picks you that you are not initially thrilled about, it will be recorded and constantly played back. Give these players some space and let them celebrate/watch however they want.
Doesn't mean anything to me. In fact, in some ways I would rather see a prospect not attend. Someone who would rather spend that moment with family and (as much as possible) avoiding cameras and the spotlight to instead be with those who have supported him and made this dream possible speaks more to me of character than of someone who shows up just for the hype.

Especially with the league changing everything about the draft (how many days it is, day vs evening event, location, etc..). It is just a publicity stunt now, any "tradition" associated with the draft is long gone. So unless the NFL makes attendance mandatory for top rated prospects and they are in direct violation of a rule (which I don't see how they could be since until they are drafted they aren't employed by the NFL yet), I've got no problems with players choosing to be wherever and with whomever they choose during the draft.
Share 49ersWebzone