There are 193 users in the forums

Official Draft Rumors Thread

Originally posted by Since07:
"Multiple sources" tell the Miami Herald that the Dolphins "covet" Georgia RB Todd Gurley, and "would love" for Gurley to fall to them at No. 14.

I doubt Gurley falls outside of the top 15. Too many teams are seeking a RB. I'll go out on a limb and predict he'll get nabbed by the Rams who haven't had a quality RB in many moons.....

If he IS there at #15 it will be a good sign as many other teams will be calling the Niners with trade offers (see Dallas Cowboys).
Originally posted by Since07:
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
ESPN Boston's Mike Reiss believes USC WR Nelson Agholor "could be enticing" to the Patriots if he lasts until the No. 32 overall pick.

Agholor is a dynamic playmaker on offense and special teams. Bill Belichick loves versatile players who can save roster spots. Agholor is more likely to be selected in the 20s, but Reiss suggests Agholor could fall further than expected "because of the glut of top-flight pass catchers" in this year's draft.
Related: Patriots

http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football

The problem with that rumor is that it's complete speculation with the "could be enticing" and Mike Reiss "believes"

I still believe that Tyler Lockette is a better fit for that offense.
I really don'y like Armstead. Bust written all over him. I know Peters is a headcase but he sure can play ball. If Waynes is there I would take him as well. Interesting fact, Waynes and Melvin Gordon were high school teammates.
Old rumor but would love

http://www.hogshaven.com/2015/4/3/8337881/2015-nfl-draft-rumors-san-francisco-49ers-fell-in-love-with-amari-cooper
Do it!

http://www.ninersnation.com/2015/4/26/8499357/nfl-draft-rumors-raiders-looking-to-trade-out-of-no-4-could-49ers
  • evil
  • Veteran
Profootballtalk.com reports "multiple teams" rate Wake Forest's Kevin Johnson as the top cornerback prospect on their draft boards. These teams have Johnson ahead of Michigan State's Trae Waynes, who's been seen as the top corner for most of the draft process. This is not a rich cornerback class, but the need for the position in the NFL is strong, which could push corners up the board. Johnson stands 6-foot and 188 pounds. He has a 41 1/2-inch vertical jump and is experienced in both man and zone coverage.

"Several Giants sources" insist the team will give "strong consideration" to drafting a wide receiver if the right one falls to No. 9 overall. The "right ones" would presumably be Alabama's Amari Cooper and West Virginia's Kevin White. An offensive lineman at No. 9 still seems most likely, whether it be Iowa's Brandon Scherff, Stanford's Andrus Peat, or Miami's Ereck Flowers. Still, the fact that GM Jerry Reese isn't a "needs drafter" leaves open the possibility of the Giants addressing any position in the first round.

NBC's Alex Flanagan tweeted Saturday that she's been talking to "more and more people" who believe rumors of Philip Rivers being traded by the Chargers "have legitimate legs." As Flanagan noted, the Titans "need Rivers," in order for beleaguered GM Ruston Webster and coach Ken Whisenhunt to save their jobs. The Chargers would be a good fit for Marcus Mariota, going to a coach in Mike McCoy who's repeatedly shown the ability to craft his offense to maximize his quarterback's strengths. Any deal of Rivers to Tennessee would likely require a long-term agreement between the team and Rivers. The Titans would have to have that assurance from Rivers' camp before executing the trade. Rivers is entering the final year of his contract.

Jets beat writer Manish Mehta spoke with "several personnel directors" who said the team has "an affinity for" Stanford T Andrus Peat. Let's talk through the selection. Peat has only played left tackle at Stanford, a spot now occupied by D'Brickashaw Freguson of the Jets. From a cap perspective, the Jets can move on from Ferguson following the 2015 season. So Peat could start his career on the right side, and then move to the left following his rookie season. New decision makers are in place, so changes should be expected despite veterans and recent signings at the position. We think Peat makes a lot of sense with the Giants at nine.

Mike Renner reports that Pro Football Focus uncovered "red flags" when digging into Kentucky edge rusher Bud Dupree's stats and film. "The most meaningful one is that only three of his 36 pressures came against tackles with positive pass-blocking grades for the season," he wrote. "While he posted an overall respectable pass-rushing productivity mark of 9.8, that number dropped to 7.1 against SEC competition. A third of those pressures against SEC competition came versus Missouri's right tackle, Taylor Chappell, who had the second-worst pass-blocking grade in the country." That's a pretty damning stat, though some will argue Dupree wasn't given a fair shake in college to learn one position and stick to it. Renner added that Dupree didn't generate even one pressure off of a bull rush in 2014. "Those stats paint the picture of a player who feasted on weak competition and then put up impressive workout numbers, rather than a complete pass-rusher," he wrote.

Pro Football Focus is concerned that Michigan State CB Trae Waynes' 20-yard shuttle (4.39 seconds) was slower than his 40 time (4.31). That occurrence is such an anomaly that the group couldn't recall seeing it before. "That poor change-of-direction ability was evident on tape, and is a problem at a position where change of direction is vital," wrote Mike Renner. PFF is also troubled that a corner with such great recovery speed (thus not having to worry about getting burned deep) was so average on intermediate routes, only breaking up three passes on 59 targets. Waynes' yards per coverage snap allowed was average (1.04) and he struggled against Oregon, allowing 113 yards and a score on seven targets.

An anonymous NFL scout told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that FSU C Cameron Erving's "upside is huge" at center. "That line didn't block well until they moved him," the scout said. "It cleaned up so much inside. He's not a 320-pound mauling center but he gets after you. He's such a good athlete and is extremely smart. Great kid." Florida State doubled its yards-before-contact rush average on interior runs in the final five games after shifting Erving inside. But is Erving (6-foot-5, 314 pounds), who would become the NFL's tallest center, too tall for the position? "I think he's too tall for center," a second scout said. "He's got stiff ankles and plays too small. He smothers college players, but if anyone works his edges he's not great laterally. I don't see it." A third scout disagreed with that analysis. "It (height) hasn't been a problem," he said. "His arms (34 1/8) are so long, he just locks those guys out. He just gets on the nose (tackle). Guard may be his best position. He could start at three positions."
  • evil
  • Veteran
Alex Marvez @alexmarvez · 38m38 minutes ago

.@GeorgiaTechFB WR Darren Waller says @AZCardinals among teams who've approached him about TE conversion. Pre-draft visits with AZ & @49ers

Alex Marvez @alexmarvez · 34m34 minutes ago

.@GeorgiaTechFB Darren Waller says @49ers spoke to him exclusively about playing WR. Spoke with @AmaniAToomer & me on @SiriusXMNFL
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Alex Marvez @alexmarvez · 38m38 minutes ago

.@GeorgiaTechFB WR Darren Waller says @AZCardinals among teams who've approached him about TE conversion. Pre-draft visits with AZ & @49ers

Alex Marvez @alexmarvez · 34m34 minutes ago

.@GeorgiaTechFB Darren Waller says @49ers spoke to him exclusively about playing WR. Spoke with @AmaniAToomer & me on @SiriusXMNFL

Would have no problem taking Waller in the 5th. Any earlier would be too soon for me, but I could see them using a 4th rounder based on upside. He would be a major project. Sloppy, disinterested blocker who needs a lot of help developing that area. Of course, coming from GTU, the route tree is another big area he'll need to develop.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Read that we showed lots of interest in Sean Mannion

http://www.ninersnation.com/2015/4/25/8495071/49ers-have-expressed-interest-in-sean-mannion-over-pre-draft-process

IMO though only in the 5th-7th rounds. We need a bunch of impact players in the early to mid rounds to re-energize the team.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Read that we showed lots of interest in Sean Mannion

http://www.ninersnation.com/2015/4/25/8495071/49ers-have-expressed-interest-in-sean-mannion-over-pre-draft-process

IMO though only in the 5th-7th rounds. We need a bunch of impact players in the early to mid rounds to re-energize the team.

Agreed. Way too inconsistent and just not enough on tape to warrant more than that when players with far, far superior value will certainly be available all the way through the 4th.

CBS said we might be shopping Vernon Davis during the draft
Originally posted by AsianJeff:

I was thinking Brooks would be a more likely candidate, if at all.

I wonder what kind of value Vernon would even have anymore. If we threw in the 15th pick, Vernon, and a 4th, would that be enough to get the Raiders to bite so we could get Cooper?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

That makes sense.
We can get a 3rd round comp (4th at worst) for VD if we let him go after this season because someone should sign him to a big contract. Unless we can get a 2nd or possibly high 3rd I don't think it pays to not have him for 1 last year (contract year too should play better). Vernon would be 32 years old before he plays with this next contract so if someone would give us a 2nd or high 3rd I'd seriously have to think about trading him. More so because of the fact I think he will overvalue himself and want 5 years 40-45 million at 32 years old. As for Brooks I'd hope we could get a 4th or 5th out of him but I'd take less just to get rid of his big contract. He is paid like a starter for the next 3 years. I guess he could be good insurance if aldon leaves after this year though so we might not move him yet.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 27, 2015 at 11:45 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone