There are 154 users in the forums

MadDog49er Seven Round Projection April 24 2015 and Notes

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Losing two starting 34 DEs is a bitter pill to swallow for the team (even if Smith does return, it is for one year). If the team is sold on Dial and Carradine, then maybe it is a higher priority.

Trust me when I saw that AA is not the best player on the board, if he is there at 15. I just think the team will bite.

Depending on how much clout you put in baalkes words, he said that he won't repeat an aj jenkins mistake. If the player that fills the biggest need is a tier lower than the bpa. You go bpa. I don't remember the direct quote but it is that pretty much exactly.
MD, would you mind to tell us your opinion about NT David Parry from Stanford?
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Do you think he can pack on weight and convert to a 3-4 DE?

No. He has a lean lower body. He is going to be maxed out at about 255.
No Zach waggenmann?
Originally posted by Butter:
Mad Dog, if the Niners dont draft a CB in round one, but target a CB in round two, who do you like?

According to your board both Darby and PJ Williams look to be available, but both have significant character flags.

It is a mess, isn't it? I expect that top tier of draftable CBs to go quickly (Waynes, Johnson, Rowe, Jones, Peters). There is hope that Jalen Collins may fall to the Niners in the second round with multiple failed drug tests in college, plus less than a year's experience as a starter. Risky gamble, but one that may pay off in the future (because he is NOT ready to play now). As you stated, Darby and Williams carry character red flags. That is why the team may have to draft a CB in the first round, although I don't like the value of any CB with the 15th overall.

If the team is desperate to not leave the first round without one, then I'd advocate a trade down.

Expect some of the smaller school guys who are sleepers to be drafted well before expected. I have Tray Walker at number 176 right now, but I can easily see him closer to 150 on Saturday.

Here are some of my thoughts on the CB's: I think Q. Rollins is a safety and not a corner. In either case, he is not going to play that much in 2015 The same goes for Josh Shaw (I do think he can contribute in 2015), although I have more trust in his ability to play CB in the NFL. If you don't mind some of the sub- 6' CBs, I really like three guys: Steven Nelson is fiesty, plays hard on every down, and never misses a tackle (literally, as compiled in stats this season). Doran Grant played Amari Cooper better than anyone this year, and matched up well with some quality WR's late in 2014. Senquez Golson won the game against Cooper and Alabama with a late INT, and is a really terrific player overall. A winner. The only problem is big bodied WRs can box him out pretty easily (noted against Sammie Coates). Don't trust Charles Gaines- gets roasted a lot (gambles round the clock)
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Apr 25, 2015 at 11:45 AM ]
Originally posted by stonecold590:
No Zach waggenmann?

Had Wagenmann there two days ago, and then he broke his foot in a pre-draft workout this week. He will be out about two months, and I think that pushes him out of the draft. Could be wrong, but for a guy thought to be a late rounder, any bad news that compromises his ability to go through OTAs and mini-camp is a bad setback (most teams wrap up OTAs and mini camps by mid-June).
Originally posted by communist:

Love him, think he is a terrific player. A combo of Anderson with the 3rd and Parry with the 4th rounder (if he is there) would be outstanding (for the record, I am not a Stanford fan). He is not a jumbo-sized NT, but like former Ravens NT Kelly Gregg, gets the job done. Really liked his work throughout the year, especially against Notre Dame and USC. Holds up very well against the run, and has solid lateral movement skills. High effort, high motor, and outstanding read and react skills (vastly underrated skill for a DL). Count me in on him anywhere in the fourth round.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Apr 25, 2015 at 11:56 AM ]
Mad Dog, if the Niners dont draft a CB in round one, but target a CB in round two, who do you like?

According to your board both Darby and PJ Williams look to be available, but both have significant character flags.

It is a mess, isn't it? I expect that top tier of draftable CBs to go quickly (Waynes, Johnson, Rowe, Jones, Peters). There is hope that Jalen Collins may fall to the Niners in the second round with multiple failed drug tests in college, plus less than a year's experience as a starter. Risky gamble, but one that may pay off in the future (because he is NOT ready to play now). As you stated, Darby and Williams carry character red flags. That is why the team may have to draft a CB in the first round, although I don't like the value of any CB with the 15th overall.

If the team is desperate to not leave the first round without one, then I'd advocate a trade down.

Expect some of the smaller school guys who are sleepers to be drafted well before expected. I have Tray Walker at number 176 right now, but I can easily see him closer to 150 on Saturday.

Here are some of my thoughts on the CB's: I think Q. Rollins is a safety and not a corner. In either case, he is not going to play that much in 2015 The same goes for Josh Shaw (I do think he can contribute in 2015), although I have more trust in his ability to play CB in the NFL. If you don't mind some of the sub- 6' CBs, I really like three guys: Steven Nelson is fiesty, plays hard on every down, and never misses a tackle (literally, as compiled in stats this season). Doran Grant played Amari Cooper better than anyone this year, and matched up well with some quality WR's late in 2014. Senquez Golson won the game against Cooper and Alabama with a late INT, and is a really terrific player overall. A winner. The only problem is big bodied WRs can box him out pretty easily (noted against Sammie Coates). Don't trust Charles Gaines- gets roasted a lot (gambles round the clock)

MD, great break down. If Danny Shelton is there at 15, Im still hoping the Niners take him. If not, I like the idea of a trade down to 21-25 range. If they could pick up a CB or strong player and day 2 pick, Id be ecstatic.

I know the Niners drafted a lot of secondary last year, but Im wondering if they should draft 2 CB. One early and one late. Thatd give them some insurance if the talented/troubled player has a "relapse".
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
Depending on how much clout you put in baalkes words, he said that he won't repeat an aj jenkins mistake. If the player that fills the biggest need is a tier lower than the bpa. You go bpa. I don't remember the direct quote but it is that pretty much exactly.

That is always a smart move. Why give up the opportunity to draft a center like Cameron Erving, who could be a potential perennial Pro-Bowler, with a guy who is talented, but probably not going to be a dominant player in the league. I think the Cowboys and Raiders learned a really valuable lesson last year in Martin and Mack, two very dependable plug and play studs who made a huge impact from Day One.
Originally posted by communist:

Love him, think he is a terrific player. A combo of Anderson with the 3rd and Parry with the 4th rounder (if he is there) would be outstanding (for the record, I am not a Stanford fan). He is not a jumbo-sized NT, but like former Ravens NT Kelly Gregg, gets the job done. Really liked his work throughout the year, especially against Notre Dame and USC. Holds up very well against the run, and has solid lateral movement skills. High effort, high motor, and outstanding read and react skills (vastly underrated skill for a DL). Count me in on him anywhere in the fourth round.

Could you compare Parry with Tyler Davidson?

MD, great break down. If Danny Shelton is there at 15, Im still hoping the Niners take him. If not, I like the idea of a trade down to 21-25 range. If they could pick up a CB or strong player and day 2 pick, Id be ecstatic.

I know the Niners drafted a lot of secondary last year, but Im wondering if they should draft 2 CB. One early and one late. Thatd give them some insurance if the talented/troubled player has a "relapse".

The Niners don't draft CBs early, and they will have to at some point. I believe Trent's philosophy is, "If we can get to the QB quickly, we don't need elite talent on the edges". The Niners have done a pretty good job at picking up bargain free agent CBs, but all of them are short termers. We haven't had a long-term solution...in a long time.
Could you compare Parry with Tyler Davidson?

SImilar in size, but Davison is longer, for sure. I think Parry is starter material, but don't feel the same about Davison, who may be the better athlete. In the end, I see more functional strength with Parry, and better on-the-field awareness. To me, Parry is late third round value, and Davison is fifth round value.

I am glad you brought up Davison, because I needed to move him up the board. I have him going in the 150s, not 170s like before.

If Shelton is there at 15, it almost a no-brainer (you'd still have to see who is on the board). Maybe there will be a run on OL, and that pushes him down. I still can't see him slipping past 12.
Bryce Petty at 35 seems optimistic by any means.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Bryce Petty at 35 seems optimistic by any means.

I am sold it is going to happen. I wouldn't do it, but think of all the teams who desperately want to move up to get Mariota (Browns, Chargers, Eagles). Then, there is the mess in Chicago, the future in Arizona, the disaster in New York. A lot of teams are going to be left out of the QB sweepstakes, and they better get to Petty fast because of demand. I think the next rush goes for Grayson and Hundley in the third, and then Mannion in the fourth.
Share 49ersWebzone