There are 166 users in the forums

Mock Draft + Opinion on Draft Needs

I doubt Shelton will make it past Da Bears (#7)...Fangio's trying to get their D back on track and Shelton could be the anchor for that. More likely for Baalke are either Eddie Goldman or Malcolm Brown, either of which would be great picks.

Track Anthony in the 2nd. But, doubt Walford's still around in the 3rd, which is why if Baalke wants him, he'd likely have to take him in the 2nd. He's one of the best playmakers at TE in the country and he can block. He fits how Niners use their TE's.

Dezmin Lewis will have to learn quickly if 2015 turns out to be Boldin's last year w/Niners. His best assets are his size and speed, but his toughness and ability to learn new routes will be challenged. Also needs improvement in his blocking.

Olomu's coming off a very serious knee injury so might not contribute much, if anything his rookie season. Not sure Baalke will draft, then red-shirt him...he lost Cox & Culliver and other than Brock (and maybe Wright) there's a lot of unproven CB talent on the roster.

I'm hoping Baalke drafts another thumper or at least a bigger RB...and that's not Langford. Possible options could be Yeldon, David Johnson, Karlos Williams. Tomsula already has two change-of-pace RB's in Hunter and Bush.
7 days can not come any sooner.
It's really hard for me to see us taking a NT in this draft, let alone #1 overall. We have Ian Williams, Glenn Dorsey and Quinton Dial all capable of playing NT. When healthy, Williams and Dorsey were both very, very good at the position. I'd honestly put it as our lowest priority on the team.

I 100% agree with your take on our corner situation. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we didn't take a single corner in this draft.
Originally posted by enjumuneer:
It's really hard for me to see us taking a NT in this draft, let alone #1 overall. We have Ian Williams, Glenn Dorsey and Quinton Dial all capable of playing NT. When healthy, Williams and Dorsey were both very, very good at the position. I'd honestly put it as our lowest priority on the team.

I 100% agree with your take on our corner situation. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we didn't take a single corner in this draft.

I think Shelton has the lateral quickness to play all over the line. Also, Dorsey played 3-4 end and was decent, and i personally think williams athleticism would be a better fit as an end. Its very hard to have enough good linemen seeing as how often they are rotated. Personally id prefer them to go with the strength of the draft and select a wr high, im just trying to choose something that could very well happen.
Originally posted by philosoraptor:
I would agree. I think Waynes would be very hard to pass up if he fell to 15, not due to need necessarily but BPA. I also agree with your needs, although id say de is a little more of a need overall then OL due to the fact that I believe either Looney, Thomas, or Martin will step up and take the position.

Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Good stuff N. I agree with the low CB rating. I'd put DE above OL. The DE could play at least in rotation. The Niners need only a swing tackle who would play only following an injury to a starter. Regarding NT, we don't know what the philosophy is for NTs with Tomsula/Mangini. Do they want very big guys there or guys the size of Dorsey and Williams? Will Baalke give the new head coach a gift with Shelton? Or is it smarter to give a defensive coach a stronger offense in that it isn't his background? My hope is the latter.

I hear you both here. Since last night was the final night we had to meet with players, I closed my Baalke list and had just moved up OL a hair above DE based on quantity alone. In short, for the OL we met with La'el Collins (18), Donovan Smith (64), Jamil Douglas (87), Ali Marpet (91), Jeremiah Poutasi (197) & Sean Hickey (216) and DE's was Arik Armstead (27), Marcus Hardison (67), Mario Edwards (75), Xavier Cooper (77), Henry Anderson (89) & David Parry (104).

In short, you guys are right...same quantity of players (6) but all 6 DE's are within a 104 ranking whereas OL only has 4.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I doubt Shelton will make it past Da Bears (#7)...Fangio's trying to get their D back on track and Shelton could be the anchor for that. More likely for Baalke are either Eddie Goldman or Malcolm Brown, either of which would be great picks.

Track Anthony in the 2nd. But, doubt Walford's still around in the 3rd, which is why if Baalke wants him, he'd likely have to take him in the 2nd. He's one of the best playmakers at TE in the country and he can block. He fits how Niners use their TE's.

Dezmin Lewis will have to learn quickly if 2015 turns out to be Boldin's last year w/Niners. His best assets are his size and speed, but his toughness and ability to learn new routes will be challenged. Also needs improvement in his blocking.

Olomu's coming off a very serious knee injury so might not contribute much, if anything his rookie season. Not sure Baalke will draft, then red-shirt him...he lost Cox & Culliver and other than Brock (and maybe Wright) there's a lot of unproven CB talent on the roster.

I'm hoping Baalke drafts another thumper or at least a bigger RB...and that's not Langford. Possible options could be Yeldon, David Johnson, Karlos Williams. Tomsula already has two change-of-pace RB's in Hunter and Bush.

They already have a thumper in Trey Millard . Any rb selected after the 3rd round wont even make the squad it would be a wasted pick.
Originally posted by Izyniner:
They already have a thumper in Trey Millard . Any rb selected after the 3rd round wont even make the squad it would be a wasted pick.

Are you sure a rb later than the third cant make the roster? Im guessing you are assuming hunter makes the roster? He has come off two major injuries recently.
Shelton is my draft crush, nice mock.
Share 49ersWebzone