LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 284 users in the forums

Mock Draft + Opinion on Draft Needs

My personal belief on the focus of the draft is quite different from many. I may be wrong, and ill gladly eat crow if that is the case, but I think cb will not be a large focus in the draft. The fact is Baalke has spent the last two first rounders, plus 3 other draft picks last year on db's. He also brought in Bethea in at safety and signed two corners in free agency this year as well as signing Tramaine Brock to a deal a while back. I do believe there is such a thing as overwhelming a position with talent, and its time for the young guys to develop at cb and if they don't we have three vets to step in. Now, that leaves me to what I think they need to do, build the front 7. Our defense needs strength up the middle. To that point, I used the fanspeak on the clock app and compiled these players based off people who were consistently there at the picks the niners have, I also tried to pick players I though were "Baalke picks".

Rd 1: Danny Shelton
Rd2: Stephone Anthony
Rd 3: Clive Walford
Pick 4 Dezmin Lewis
Rd 4: Ifo Ekpre-Olomu
Rd 5: Jeremy Langford
Rd 6: Zach Wagenmann
Rd 7: Ben Beckwith
Rd 7: Frank Clark

Tell me what you think.
Member Milestone: This is post number 900 for jrouter4949.
Originally posted by philosoraptor:
My personal belief on the focus of the draft is quite different from many. I may be wrong, and ill gladly eat crow if that is the case, but I think cb will not be a large focus in the draft. The fact is Baalke has spent the last two first rounders, plus 3 other draft picks last year on db's. He also brought in Bethea in at safety and signed two corners in free agency this year as well as signing Tramaine Brock to a deal a while back. I do believe there is such a thing as overwhelming a position with talent, and its time for the young guys to develop at cb and if they don't we have three vets to step in. Now, that leaves me to what I think they need to do, build the front 7. Our defense needs strength up the middle. To that point, I used the fanspeak on the clock app and compiled these players based off people who were consistently there at the picks the niners have, I also tried to pick players I though were "Baalke picks".

Pick 4 Dezmin Lewis

Tell me what you think.
Like the S Anthony pick,could do better on the WR pick like D Smith ,Chris Conely,but they would have to be late 1st and 3rd rounds,D Smith would have to be taken late1st Conely 3rd round Z Wagenmann is a good pick not sure if He last till the 6th.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I love this draft. I'd cream my pants if we got Shelton.
For the most part, I like it! I'm a HUGE believer in trading back unless a select few guys fall down to us and Shelton is on the list so I'd be elated to grab him at #15. About the only change that I'd make is swapping out Walford for an OL guy. Don't get me wrong, I like Walford and I see why you have us picking him but our OL has been too unstable for many years now so I want more investment in this area as opposed to TE.

Nice mock!
It could happen.
I'd be pretty happy if it went down like this. I'd also prefer Conley to Lewis, which could happen, since I'd be a little surprised if Walford fell to us in the third. I'm pretty impressed with Shelton's size and lateral movement, and his strength in the bull rush is crazy. If JT can teach him some pass rush moves, I think he could be a dominant 3 down DL. Not sure if he makes it down to us, but that's part of what makes sitting at 15 so exciting.
Would be a nice draft. I would love Shelton falling to 15 but if he or a few others don't I am all for trading back. I wouldn't mind grabbing a CB if we trade back and 1 falls to us or is there in rd 2 but the best CB is one playing behind a dominant front 7. Sherman wouldn't be the same if seattle's pass rush didn't force other teams to unload the ball quickly. The front 7 needs to be the priority.
Originally posted by philosoraptor:

Pick 4 Dezmin Lewis

Tell me what you think.

Agreed on CB! I have it as #7. I think if Trae Waynes falls, then yes, we go that route. If not, it looks like we'll be looking for another from the 97th pick on. We "may" consider Collins, Jones and Peters at the end of the 1st round/early 2nd but I doubt it.

Baalke's Top Priority Needs: (Position Targets by Round)
1. NT (3) - Looking at all 3 top NT's within thew first 29 picks and no further (Round 1 only)
2. WR (13) - Looking at 8 picks within the top 63 picks and 5 more from the 149th pick on (Round 1-2 or 5-7)
3. ILB (8) - Looking at 5 picks within the top 58 picks and 3 more from the 94th pick on (Round 1-3 or 5-7)
4. OL (6) - Looking at 4 picks within the top 91 picks and 2 more from the 197th pick on (Round 1-3 or 7)
5. DE (6) - Looking at 6 picks within the first 104 picks and no further (Round 1-4 only)
6. OLB (6) - Looking at 2 picks within the top 19 picks and 4 more from the 88th pick on (Round 1-3, 5 or 7)
7. CB (10) - Looking at 3 picks within the top 35 picks and 7 more from the 97th pick on (Round 1-4 or 7)
8. RB (5) - Looking at 2 picks within the top 68 picks and 3 more from the 135th pick on (Round 3, 5 or 7)
9. TE (2) - Looking at 2 picks within the top 74 and no further (Round 3 only)
10. FS (2) - Looking at 2 picks at 122 & 126 and no further (Round 4 only)
11. QB (1) - Looking at 1 pick within the top 61 picks and no further (Round 2 only)
Originally posted by NCommand:
Agreed on CB! I have it as #7. I think if Trae Waynes falls, then yes, we go that route. If not, it looks like we'll be looking for another from the 97th pick on. We "may" consider Collins, Jones and Peters at the end of the 1st round/early 2nd but I doubt it.

1. NT (3) - Looking at all 3 top NT's within thew first 29 picks and no further (Round 1 only)
2. WR (13) - Looking at 8 picks within the top 63 picks and 5 more from the 149th pick on (Round 1-2 or 5-7)
3. ILB (8) - Looking at 5 picks within the top 58 picks and 3 more from the 94th pick on (Round 1-3 or 5-7)
4. OL (6) - Looking at 4 picks within the top 91 picks and 2 more from the 197th pick on (Round 1-3 or 7)
5. DE (6) - Looking at 6 picks within the first 104 picks and no further (Round 1-4 only)
6. OLB (6) - Looking at 2 picks within the top 19 picks and 4 more from the 88th pick on (Round 1-3, 5 or 7)
7. CB (10) - Looking at 3 picks within the top 35 picks and 7 more from the 97th pick on (Round 1-4 or 7)
8. RB (5) - Looking at 2 picks within the top 68 picks and 3 more from the 135th pick on (Round 3, 5 or 7)
11. QB (1) - Looking at 1 pick within the top 61 picks and no further (Round 2 only)

I would agree. I think Waynes would be very hard to pass up if he fell to 15, not due to need necessarily but BPA. I also agree with your needs, although id say de is a little more of a need overall then OL due to the fact that I believe either Looney, Thomas, or Martin will step up and take the position.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Good stuff N. I agree with the low CB rating. I'd put DE above OL. The DE could play at least in rotation. The Niners need only a swing tackle who would play only following an injury to a starter. Regarding NT, we don't know what the philosophy is for NTs with Tomsula/Mangini. Do they want very big guys there or guys the size of Dorsey and Williams? Will Baalke give the new head coach a gift with Shelton? Or is it smarter to give a defensive coach a stronger offense in that it isn't his background? My hope is the latter.

A Plus draft. If the Niners get a starting NT, ILB in rounds 1 and 2 it is a winner.

Like the TE pick also.
Originally posted by 9erred:
A Plus draft. If the Niners get a starting NT, ILB in rounds 1 and 2 it is a winner.

Like the TE pick also.

I think low-key TE is one of the biggest holes on the roster. We need one, and id like to get one who can runblock.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Good stuff N. I agree with the low CB rating. I'd put DE above OL. The DE could play at least in rotation. The Niners need only a swing tackle who would play only following an injury to a starter. Regarding NT, we don't know what the philosophy is for NTs with Tomsula/Mangini. Do they want very big guys there or guys the size of Dorsey and Williams? Will Baalke give the new head coach a gift with Shelton? Or is it smarter to give a defensive coach a stronger offense in that it isn't his background? My hope is the latter.

Would absolutely agree with everything you just said. One issue I have with my draft (yes I admit it has some glaring flaws), it provides no immediate help on offense other then possibly Walford as a second te or Langford as a change of pace back.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
The picks are solid... but personally, i really believe that we'll have to move up in order to have a chance on DS..
Originally posted by pete98146:
For the most part, I like it! I'm a HUGE believer in trading back unless a select few guys fall down to us and Shelton is on the list so I'd be elated to grab him at #15. About the only change that I'd make is swapping out Walford for an OL guy. Don't get me wrong, I like Walford and I see why you have us picking him but our OL has been too unstable for many years now so I want more investment in this area as opposed to TE.

Nice mock!
This! I'd also prefer a different receiver ( Conley or Bell)
OL before TE
Share 49ersWebzone