LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

Mickyd's Draft (best I've got)

I have been a die hard 49ER fan since 1980. I love this site and have read and followed it daily for 15 years, although I rarely post.

This draft feels very different than recent years in that we really have to maximize our picks to make up for lost players, past misses, and contacts nearing their end.

**I think a round one receiver is a complete waste considering our offense and roster. (No DGB please!)
**I don't think Peters game is complete enough and don't like his attitude. I also want to see more of our redshirt team before investing this high in CB.
** D line is a value pick, but again I want to see more of our drafted players, and feel there are quality players to be had later.

After spending way too much time on draft simulators and big boards, I've tried to come up with a very realistic draft that brings quality players and people in, that will either start or rotate, and in most cases beat out someone currently on our roster. Here goes my first shot at a draft

Trade back 4 or 5 spots pick up a 3rd
RD1: OLB Eli Harold (young stud to rotate. Necessary for our defense. Will be a beast)
Trade back 15 spots pick up 3rd and 6th
RD2 : DE Mario Edwards Jr (very solid depth and cowboy replacement)
Trade 6th and 7th rounders to move up 7 or 8 spots
RD 3: ILB Paul Dawson ( Borland 2.0 falls to 3rd and we move up to grab him)
RD 3: RB Ameer Abdullah (my draft crush... every sim mock he's top of the board here. Great player and person. Can't pass on him)
RD 3: G Jeremiah Poutasi/ John Miller (both solid)
RD 4: CB Steven Nelson/ Ifo Ekpre (both solid)
RD 4: S Kurt is Drummond/ Adrian Amos (should make Dahl expenable thank god!)
RD 5: WR Kenny Bell/ Chris Conley (either one
Competes and makes the team)
RD 6: DT Xavier Williams/ Derrick Lott (both solid)
RD 7: TE Blake Bell (Delanie Walker 2.0. Raw but so
much potential. Throws a nice ball too)

Olb-Harold
DE-Edwards Jr
Ilb-Dawson
RB-Abdullah
G-Poutasi/ Miller
CB-Nelson/ Ekpre
S-Drummond/Amos
WR-Bell/Conley
DT-Williams/ Lott
TE/H-back/QB-Bell

Thanks for reading. Let me know what you think :)
[ Edited by mickyd49er on Apr 22, 2015 at 2:56 PM ]
I'm starting to think Harold will be our pick as well. I think he's a top 5 pass rusher and he seems like a Baalke pick since no one is talking about him
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Luckycharms:
I'm starting to think Harold will be our pick as well. I think he's a top 5 pass rusher and he seems like a Baalke pick since no one is talking about him

What makes you think that??
Harold is already a stud and he's only 20!
Why would we draft a player in the first that wouldn't be a starter??? As far as passing on DGB, it's understandable but let's not forget the career Moss had when everyone passed on him. Just saying, not trying to make a case for a player with off field issues. But what about Perriman or if Parker was still there at 15, then what?
Well-thought out draft, kudos.

My only concern is regarding your suggestion that drafting a WR in the first is a waste, "given our offense"...what do you mean specifically? That the team already has starting caliber receivers? The offense should be run-oriented so a WR takes away from that?

I ask because you envision taking a part-time pass-rusher in the first instead. I do like Harold, but I imagine a legitimate WR at #15 would see more snaps that an OLB in 2015.
Originally posted by job2436:
Why would we draft a player in the first that wouldn't be a starter??? As far as passing on DGB, it's understandable but let's not forget the career Moss had when everyone passed on him. Just saying, not trying to make a case for a player with off field issues. But what about Perriman or if Parker was still there at 15, then what?

I don't see it that way. Harold would be a rotational guy, and better than any other rotational guy. Secondly, I don't trust Aldon or Lynch to not get in trouble at some point. Thirdly, Aldon is in a contract year and we may lose him, and yet to keep him would come with a huge price tag. Young blood at less dollars ( and stress)

As far as receivers go, I'm not saying we can't upgrade...however, Boldin is still playing at a high level, we upraded with Smith and Simpson, and I feel like Conley or K Bell are an upgrade from Patton and Ellington. We arent puting Smith or Boldin on the bench so it would be a third receiver.And I believe We will resign Boldin for another 1 or 2 years. If we were the Saints or Colts my opinion might be different, but with a run first mentality I don't see the need.
[ Edited by mickyd49er on Apr 22, 2015 at 9:07 PM ]
Originally posted by Brando85:
Well-thought out draft, kudos.

My only concern is regarding your suggestion that drafting a WR in the first is a waste, "given our offense"...what do you mean specifically? That the team already has starting caliber receivers? The offense should be run-oriented so a WR takes away from that?

I ask because you envision taking a part-time pass-rusher in the first instead. I do like Harold, but I imagine a legitimate WR at #15 would see more snaps that an OLB in 2015.

Thanks for the kudos and input. Check out my response to the previous post. I would add to that, I see an early run on pass rushers with a huge drop off after round 1. I see plenty of receiver talent available all the way through 5 rounds
[ Edited by mickyd49er on Apr 22, 2015 at 9:14 PM ]
Love the Blake Bell pick.Harold is also VERY underrated.overall very good
Originally posted by 9ertillidie:
Love the Blake Bell pick.Harold is also VERY underrated.overall very good

Thank you. Bell is such an interesting player and athelete. He could be used in so many different ways. Sooo much potential for a 7th round pick

Bell in the 7th round makes no sense now. Mayock ranks him as the 3rd best TE in the class and even if you disagree, his stock has clearly risen since January/February when he was considered a 6th-7th round pick. He'll probably go in the 4th-5th round.

I do agree that Harold is underrated - he's a good player and very young.
I like most of the players you drafted, but I don't understand you're think with saying we don't need a WR based on roster and offense....then you draft a OLB when we have 3 very good ones in place?? Unless A Smith goes full potato he will be resigned, you don't let top 5 pass rushers leave in FA.

Also throw in that Lynch was a strait beast in a limited role when would Harold play? WR will be a huge need especially in 2016. They will not be paying Boldin (who will be 36) $6 million a year and Smith isn't a true #1. Who takes on the #1 role in 2016?? I hope you don't think Conely could be Kap's fail-safe WR that he counts on to get open when he needs it most?

I'm guessing if SF drafts Ameer then Hunter will be cut? Who's active on game days Hyde/Bush/Ameer/Miller/Millard/Hunter?? Also I don't like his baby hands...fumbles way too much.

Like I said I'm a fan of the players you targeted, but we have a ton of depth (drafted 23 players past two years) I'm on the bandwagon of moving up for a true play maker, at this point we need quality not quantity, time to let the younger guys get snaps and get true difference makers.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Apr 24, 2015 at 1:01 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone