LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 258 users in the forums

First and only crack at a mock

Trade: OLB Ahmad Brooks to PHI for ILB Mychael Kendricks
- Brooks would be a good replacement for Trent Cole, and the eagles have a surplus of ILBs. Brooks was a potential cut candidate this offseason, and it would be hard to believe he will still be around after this next season.

1 (15) – Dorial Green-Beckham – WR, Missouri (6'5" 237lbs)
- I'd be willing to take the risk on the potential that DGB has to offer. He's a tremendous red zone threat, which has been one of our offense's biggest faults. Off the field concerns seem a bit overblown and he has reportedly impressed in combine interviews and team visits.

2(46) – Ameer Abdullah – RB, Nebraska (5'9" 205lbs)
- One of the more productive college running backs last season. Many teams will pass him up due to concerns over his size, but we don't need to use him as a 3-down back. Extremely shifty and decisive, was one of the top performers in combine agility drills. He'll provide a great 1-2 punch with Carlos Hyde.

3(79) – Hau'oli Kikaha – OLB, Washington (6'2" 253lbs)
- Relentless pass rusher. Could use some work in the run game, but can be utilized in passing situations his rookie year rotating in with Aldon and Lynch.

4(126) – Henry Anderson – DE/DT, Stanford (6'6" 294lbs)
- Imposing defensive lineman who projects to a perfect 5 technique in our 3-4 defense. Very powerful lineman with long arms (Baalke's favorite). Won't asked to play every down in our D-line rotation, and can learn some better footwork from our coaching staff

4(132) – Taiwan Jones – ILB, Michigan State (6'3" 245lbs)
- Great size for an ILB, will provide depth behind Bowman, Wilhoite and Kendricks and could step into a starting role in 2016 if Kendricks ends up only being a 1 year rental.

5(151) – Jeremiah Poutassi – OG, Utah (6'5" 335lbs)
- Huge offensive lineman who played tackle in college, but projects as an NFL guard. Good O-line depth and insurance for the RG position if Boone leaves via free agency in 2016.

6(189) – CJ Uzomah – TE, Auburn (6'6" 262lbs)
- Continuing the pattern of adding some serious size to the team. Good blocker and pass catcher, but wasn't utilized a ton in the passing game in Auburn's run-heavy offense.

7(246) – Tray Walker – CB, Texas Southern (6'2" 180lbs)
- Tall press corner who lacks ideal speed. We're pretty deep at CB, so Walker could be a solid practice squad candidate.

7(254) – John Lowdermilk – SS, Iowa (6'0" 210lbs)
- Depth pick. Could make an impact on special teams and a potential Craig Dahl replacement down the line.
I absolutely love this draft. If it went down like this, the 49ers would definitely be moving towards getting back on top. People have brought up Torrey Smith as an argument against taking DGB or DeVante Parker, but those guys would be our future #1 after Boldin leaves, and they would be far more helpful in the redzone, which is the other issue the 49ers have in their pass game. Have Torrey Smith and DGB for the next 3-5 years would be wonerful.
Great draft.

The trade could work out well for both teams.

I think we can move down and still get DGB

Would have liked a bigger RB but Abdullah is a good back.

I really don't think Henry Anderson will be there in the 4th and we may even have to move up to get him in the 3rd
Originally posted by daragon:
I absolutely love this draft. If it went down like this, the 49ers would definitely be moving towards getting back on top. People have brought up Torrey Smith as an argument against taking DGB or DeVante Parker, but those guys would be our future #1 after Boldin leaves, and they would be far more helpful in the redzone, which is the other issue the 49ers have in their pass game. Have Torrey Smith and DGB for the next 3-5 years would be wonerful.

I like this draft as well. I like Torrey smith but he isn't a true #1 receiver. He had boldin then Steve smith. He needs another good WR on the other side. The only negative is a RB in 2nd. Would rather go CB, DL or TE there. But overall pretty good.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Great draft.

The trade could work out well for both teams.

I think we can move down and still get DGB

Would have liked a bigger RB but Abdullah is a good back.

I really don't think Henry Anderson will be there in the 4th and we may even have to move up to get him in the 3rd

Yeah, I considered a trade down and could definitely see that happening but didn't end up factoring pick trades into my mock. Maybe we grab Anderson with whatever we get from the trade down.
The thinking on Abdullah is the need for a speed/quickness back. Hyde is big enough to handle the load inside, but we've really lacked speed on offense, allowing teams to stack the middle of the box. Reggie Bush will help that, with Abdullah taking that role later down the road.
Trade: OLB Ahmad Brooks to PHI for ILB Mychael Kendricks

I like your draft a lot other than taking a receiver #1.
I could overlook it if it was Strong. Just don't want DBG at all.
I'd love this but waiting till the 7th for a cb?
Originally posted by Ny2ThaBay:
I'd love this but waiting till the 7th for a cb?

I don't see CB as a big need. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we didn't take a CB at all.
Brock is locked in as our #1, and we have 2 vets (Cook & Wright) & 3 2nd year players (Johnson, Acker and Reaser) all competing for the #2 spot.
Baalke knew we were going to lose Cox or Culliver or both and planned accordingly(hence, drafting 3 CBs last year...4 if you count Ward), just like he planned for the departures of Brown and Rogers the year prior.
Originally posted by mickyd49er:
I like your draft a lot other than taking a receiver #1.
I could overlook it if it was Strong. Just don't want DBG at all.

I'm not a huge fan of Strong. Doesn't create separation very well and is just as big of a raw talent risk as DGB, but with a much lower ceiling. I guess I just feel like DGB is the guy that teams will be kicking themselves for passing on this draft...just like Randy Moss.

The trade of Brooks would be even more savvy if/when it ends up coming to light that he is the unnamed player on Ray Mac's surveillance camera touching that passed out girl.
I'd probably bounce RB to the 4th, take Kikaha and Anderson in the 2nd and 3rd, respectively, and get buck Allen in the 4th. Abdullah can move, but he can't hang onto the damn ball. Allen is going to be better in the pros than college, imo.
  • cools
  • Veteran
Love the idea of trading Brooks for Kendricks, but I doubt Philly would do that for a guy on the downhill side of his career, + huge contract
Im from Philly and thats my second team, so i follow them pretty close

Nice mock, though I'd take J.Strong, he's being underrated on the W'Zone like the Philly pick Rice's cousin Matthews was last year

As a former coach..If ability is close, I'll take the guy with the right attitude and work ethic
[ Edited by cools on Apr 22, 2015 at 4:38 PM ]
I like the mock but I would switch ameer with tevin Coleman.
Not sure Baalke shares your enthusiasm WRT DGB...or any WR in the 1st rd, really. Also don't see him taking Abdullah in 2nd rd...if he wants a RB that early, I'd think he'd go after Ajayi or another bigger RB.

Don't see Anderson lasting 'til the 4th rd...nor Poutasi 'til the 5th. Good DL and OL tend to go earlier.

6th rd seems pretty late to draft a TE...given Vernon may be in his last Niner season and there's a lack of receiving talent at that position. Wouldn't surprise me if he took Clive Walford early. He's an accomplished playmaker and is a good blocker. He fits.

7th rd is way late to draft a CB. I know Baalke likes the overall group he has, but I still think he's more apt to take one earlier rather than later.

WRT the Brooks for Michaels trade...from a cap hit standpoint, are the Eagles going to be willing to trade a $1.4M hit for a $7M hit? Also, from a pure player standpoint, if Brooks leaves, who's the b/u for Lynch? Skuta's gone and Lemonier's been a huge disappointment. You're potentially going to ask a rookie to be the primary b/u?
Share 49ersWebzone