LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 193 users in the forums

What's the best approach....

So with the draft only a week away it got me thinking....

There's 3 ways we can approach draft

1. Stay at number 15, and see who falls to us.
2. Move up and try to land one of the "can't miss" players.
3. Trade back and try to accumulate extra picks.

It would be a bad idea to trade back and draft quantity over quality. Where the team is at right now, I think we need to bring in an impact player, and the two positions I would target are WR, CB.
Listened to ESPN's FIRST DRAFT podcast last night... Schefter says a majority of teams in the top-20 would love to trade back, so I wouldn't be surprised.

I think Baalke moves back and tries to pick up an extra second. I also think the first three picks will be a combination of DT, WR, & CB, with maybe an interior OL taken in the second if Baalke doesn't have faith in the current crop of guys.

But DT in the first feels like a Baalke move over WR. Trent rarely does the "obvious" thing we all want him to do, which seems like WR right now, and he also doesn't believe in taking CB's early according to his draft history.

We'll see, but I doubt they move up.
Baalke reached out to me last night. He says He is comfortable with Hyde as the lead RB, he will draft a RB cuz Hunter and Bush are FAs after the year but he wont draft one in the 1st. He says he is comfortable with DGB and Peters and if he drafted them he wouldnt be worried. He is targeting Parker cuz he doesnt think Boldin will be back and we will need a #1 once he leaves, Torrey is a #2 guy. If he cant get Parker he wants to move back to take Peters or DGB
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Depends on the price to trade up. If it comes at the expense of our 2016 first round pick I'll pass.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Baalke reached out to me last night. He says He is comfortable with Hyde as the lead RB, he will draft a RB cuz Hunter and Bush are FAs after the year but he wont draft one in the 1st. He says he is comfortable with DGB and Peters and if he drafted them he wouldnt be worried. He is targeting Parker cuz he doesnt think Boldin will be back and we will need a #1 once he leaves, Torrey is a #2 guy. If he cant get Parker he wants to move back to take Peters or DGB

I don't think you trade up and try to land a can't miss player, even if such a bird exists. I think you trade up to pick up a particular player. I am guessing Baalke has various alternative strategies in his mind, depending on who starts to drop. I think holding, trading up and trading back are all on the cards right now.
Doubt we trade up this year. I think we wait to see what's available at #15. I think Baalke is looking at three guys in particular at #15. They would be either Danny Shelton, Trae Waynes or Davante Parker (or some other surprise stud who falls down a bit).

If all of those guys are gone then he should trade back into the 20-25 range, amass more picks and then look at the second tier of players that would include Marcus Peters, Armstead, DGB, Lael Collins, Marcus Brown, Eddie Goldman. I almost prefer this methodology because it will give us another high pick in which we can pick up one of the ILBs in the 3rd round.
[ Edited by pete98146 on Apr 22, 2015 at 10:58 AM ]
Word
Whatever we do, the offense was a joke last year. That needs to be priority #1. The O-line regressed dramatically last year and it essentially made our offense non-existant. Load up in the first few rounds on offensive players, specifically O-line.

I know we have lost some guys on defense, but we have capable players already on the roster to take over for most of them (if not all). That can be addressed later in the draft or through vet's signed in free agency.

To respond to the general question of this thread, my vote would be to stay put and draft best O-lineman available.
Originally posted by InsertNameHere:
So with the draft only a week away it got me thinking....

There's 3 ways we can approach draft

1. Stay at number 15, and see who falls to us.
2. Move up and try to land one of the "can't miss" players.
3. Trade back and try to accumulate extra picks.

It would be a bad idea to trade back and draft quantity over quality. Where the team is at right now, I think we need to bring in an impact player, and the two positions I would target are WR, CB.

We said the exact same thing last year...and thank God we used all 13 picks. We'll use every one. The key is where quantity meets quality. They can be one-in-the-same with great scouting.

Originally posted by NickSh49:
Listened to ESPN's FIRST DRAFT podcast last night... Schefter says a majority of teams in the top-20 would love to trade back, so I wouldn't be surprised.

I think Baalke moves back and tries to pick up an extra second. I also think the first three picks will be a combination of DT, WR, & CB, with maybe an interior OL taken in the second if Baalke doesn't have faith in the current crop of guys.

But DT in the first feels like a Baalke move over WR. Trent rarely does the "obvious" thing we all want him to do, which seems like WR right now, and he also doesn't believe in taking CB's early according to his draft history.

We'll see, but I doubt they move up.

Yeah, this paints that same picture you noted here in who we've been linked and targeted to thus far:

Baalke's Top Priority Needs: (Position Targets by Round)
1. NT (3) - Looking at all 3 top NT's within thew first 29 picks and no further (Round 1 only) - we either get our NT in the first round (Goldman or Davis) or we don't until 2016
2. WR (13) - Looking at 8 picks within the top 63 picks and 5 more from the 149th pick on (Round 1-2 or 4) - let's get a dynamic WR within the first 2 rounds or consider 4th again (Ellington)
3. ILB (8) - Looking at 5 picks within the top 58 picks and 3 more from the 94th pick on (Round 1-3 or 7) - let's get our Bowman II within the first 3 rounds
4. OL (6) - Looking at 4 picks within the top 91 picks and 2 more from the 197th pick on (Round 1-3 or 7) - if we get one here we want a top T/G/C
5. DE (6) - Looking at 6 top DE's within the first 104 picks and no further (Round 1-4 only) - it's a must we get a top-notch DE through the first 4 rounds here
6. OLB (6) - Looking at 2 picks within the top 19 picks and 4 more from the 88th pick on (Round 1, 3, 5 or 7) - we can be patient here if the right guy isn't there (like Lynch)
7. CB (10) - Looking at 3 picks within the top 35 picks and 7 more from the 97th pick on (Round 1 or 4-7) - only if we can get our guy in Waynes, Collins, Jones or Peters, otherwise we wait and develop again ala Dontae Johnson/Kenneth Acker/Keith Reaser/Darryl Morris
8. RB (5) - Looking at 2 picks within the top 68 picks and 3 more from the 135th pick on (Round 2, 5 or 7) - if there is another Hyde in the 2nd, great. If not, we can wait.
9. TE (2) - Looking at 2 picks within the top 74 and no further (Round 3 only) - it's round 3 or nothing here
10. FS (2) - Looking at 2 picks at 122 & 126 and no further (Round 4 only) - round 4 or nothing
11. QB (1) - Looking at 1 pick within the top 61 picks and no further (Round 2 only) - round 2 (Logan's guy) or UDFA

Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/180887-2015-team-needs/#KFi7ZIh828SYAKRu.99
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 22, 2015 at 1:34 PM ]

Interesting you capitalize the "H" in "He" when referring to Baalke just like God/Jesus. Thank you based-God!
Originally posted by pete98146:
Doubt we trade up this year. I think we wait to see what's available at #15. I think Baalke is looking at three guys in particular at #15. They would be either Danny Shelton, Trae Waynes or Davante Parker (or some other surprise stud who falls down a bit).

If all of those guys are gone then he should trade back into the 20-25 range, amass more picks and then look at the second tier of players that would include Marcus Peters, Armstead, DGB, Lael Collins, Marcus Brown, Eddie Goldman. I almost prefer this methodology because it will give us another high pick in which we can pick up one of the ILBs in the 3rd round.

This!
  • crew
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pete98146:

I don't see any of those 3 being there at #15, so I believe that Baalke is trading down (if he can). The value is not there at #15, but in lower 1st to mid 2nd Rd.
I think he is targeting either peters or DGB with a trade down into lower 1st. Possibly with the Cowboys at #27 if they want to move up for Gurley (depends if Peterson is not in there future).
I hope Balke identifies the special players at the top of the draft and goes up and gets one.
Share 49ersWebzone