There are 164 users in the forums

Quest4six's 4/21 mock

Originally posted by 49deeznutz:
A-men. You had me with the Scherff pick. I've been saying it's a no brainer to target this guy. The dude epitomizes what we are looking for in a 49er. If it costs us a mid round pick to jump up to get this guy on our oline then f-it

This. Scherff is the one OL I would feel 100% confident in us taking in Rd 1.
Originally posted by Tman:
No WR until the 7th? Fail

We have a ton of Dl depth even without cowboy, should have a WR in your top 3 rounds

We have unproven depth at WR - why do we need to add more unproven depth? We have a QB that has trouble getting past his first read, so having a roster full of WR's isn't really beneficial. What we REALLY need is someone who will finally be a top notch #1 WR for us. Some people say we need a WR early, some say we don't. What we need is the RIGHT WR to fit Kap. If we can't get one of the top WR's early, I really don't see a point in drafting any. Kevin White was my pick, even before the combine. After his 40 time, no way he'll be there at 15. No way Cooper will be there. Davante Parker or DBG are possibilities, but other positions may have more value than those two at 15. Jalen Strong and Breshad Perriman are possibilities a little later, but I wouldn't take either at 15 - but don't think either will be there when we draft in the 2nd round. Even with either of those are we just duplicating what Torrey Smith brings for us? So my opinion is, if we can't land one of those top four in the 1st (or somehow Perriman in the 2nd), then let's just roll with what we have and develop Patton and Ellington.
I think the niners could go OL with round 1 pick. However I think Peat out of Stanford could be the pick. He is the best pass blocker in the draft. I think it is easier to learn how to run block than to pass block (see Iupati).

This might sound crazy, but I think if the Niners go OL in round 1, I would not mind a RB in round 2. This draft is an A class for RB, if they get a stud to complement Hyde the team will have a 1-2 punch. Taking pressure off of CK7 to have to produce. Now b4 people fry me, Hunter is coming off injury on a one year deal, Reggie Bush is on the wrong side of 30. Two young RB's will only help this offense progress.

Love the Henry Anderson pick, he is my draft crush. Would not mind trading up in round 3 giving up a 5th to ensure the niners land him.
It's an okay draft. Hate Dawson, busts written all over him and his non work ethic. I would hate to miss out on a WR again with back to back deepest WR classes in years. Other than that solid. The OL pick could be the Baalke surprise pick. Back to WR, I do love Ellington and think people are underrating the guy
Kap seems to do ok when he has protection.
Originally posted by 49ers808:
It's an okay draft. Hate Dawson, busts written all over him and his non work ethic. I would hate to miss out on a WR again with back to back deepest WR classes in years. Other than that solid. The OL pick could be the Baalke surprise pick. Back to WR, I do love Ellington and think people are underrating the guy

This was somewhat my feeling as well. I think Ellington is going to step up this year (he'll be given the shot he should have had last season) and because of that I don't think WR will be an area of need.
I disagree with you on Dawson
I think his knack for diagnosing a defense is something that will help him perform at the next level. His commitment issues don't seem like something to worry about anymore
Originally posted by 9erred:
I think the niners could go OL with round 1 pick. However I think Peat out of Stanford could be the pick. He is the best pass blocker in the draft. I think it is easier to learn how to run block than to pass block (see Iupati).

This might sound crazy, but I think if the Niners go OL in round 1, I would not mind a RB in round 2. This draft is an A class for RB, if they get a stud to complement Hyde the team will have a 1-2 punch. Taking pressure off of CK7 to have to produce. Now b4 people fry me, Hunter is coming off injury on a one year deal, Reggie Bush is on the wrong side of 30. Two young RB's will only help this offense progress.

I completely agree.
I took a long look at Peat, I just didn't like his attitude. Scherff plays like a 49er. I love when I'm watching a Niner game and the announcers talk about how our offensive line is playing with a vengeance. Scherff plays with this fire that would have fit in perfectly around our 2010 line (at its best)
I honestly think drafting him will get us back there.

And I could see us going RB at 2 if we are really committed to the run game. I have Cobb at 4 because I believe he's a 2-3 round talent falling down because of not very much exposure (playing at Minnesota)
Interior pressure is what did our offense in last year. If we can land Scherffe or L Collins we might be able to hang with this gruesome schedule.
I thought Scherff was more of a run blocker and not so good of a pass blocker?
wouldn't mind Scherff

Originally posted by MTninerfan:
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
I think it's telling that Baalke has neglected the CB position in free agency. I can see our 1st rounder being either Trae Waynes, Jaelen Collins or Marcus Peters. CB is the biggest need hands down.

Thomas, Looney and possibly Martin (Marcus) will compete hard for LG and it's likely that the 49ers will add depth in the draft, but as it stands, we're better off than people think at o-line.

WR and MLB should be addressed with the next two picks. After that, I'd look at D-Line, RB, TE. Then BPA the rest of the way.

Picked up Shareece Wright in FA and has said openly he has high hopes for DJ Acker and Reaser with vets brock and cook.Not saying he won't go CB first round but he sounds pretty fine with our CB depth so its hard to say. Not pointing a finger at you doc but I have loved reading some of these posts where people act like they know what is going to go down on draft day. Nobody knows and thats just the way Baalke likes it. Can't wait to see how it plays out!!

The fact that you mention Wright, DJ, Acker and Reaser illustrates my point. Of course Baalke will say he's happy with the CB group and he'd say the same (And has for WR's) about any other group of players on the team. The fact is that DJ and Wright were abused more often than not last year, so they cannot be relied upon to handle a full season work load.

It's not wise to select a LG at #15. In theory, the longest we'll have Scherff is 5 years and then he's a FA (See Iupati). If, say, Devante Parker is drafted by us and is a star, he's a player we can feel comfortable signing longterm. Quality G's perennially feature in the draft, but quality skill position players are far more rare.
Would absolutely love this and I agree with your thinking. Only problem is that I think Schreff will be long gone. I see him taken consistently in the 10/11/12 spot on most mocks.
  • Tman
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RDB4216:
Originally posted by Tman:
No WR until the 7th? Fail

We have a ton of Dl depth even without cowboy, should have a WR in your top 3 rounds

We have unproven depth at WR - why do we need to add more unproven depth? We have a QB that has trouble getting past his first read, so having a roster full of WR's isn't really beneficial. What we REALLY need is someone who will finally be a top notch #1 WR for us. Some people say we need a WR early, some say we don't. What we need is the RIGHT WR to fit Kap. If we can't get one of the top WR's early, I really don't see a point in drafting any. Kevin White was my pick, even before the combine. After his 40 time, no way he'll be there at 15. No way Cooper will be there. Davante Parker or DBG are possibilities, but other positions may have more value than those two at 15. Jalen Strong and Breshad Perriman are possibilities a little later, but I wouldn't take either at 15 - but don't think either will be there when we draft in the 2nd round. Even with either of those are we just duplicating what Torrey Smith brings for us? So my opinion is, if we can't land one of those top four in the 1st (or somehow Perriman in the 2nd), then let's just roll with what we have and develop Patton and Ellington.

You just proved my point, we NEED a good receiver for Kap to throw to. Boldin doesn't have many more years left and both Patton and Ellington are unproven. If we draft OL in the first awesome but we better come back with a legit WR in the second. I wouldn't be surprised to see DGB available in the top of the 2nd for us to trade up and get or he may even fall to us in the second. What happens if Patton and Ellington bust? Jerome Simpson come on down!
Absolutely love Dawson, Anderson, Cobb and Richardson. And if Williams lasts to the 3rd or 4th, he's a steal for sure. At one point he was being debated as the top CB in the draft. The talent is there if his head can be screwed on right.

But we can't give up those extra picks for OL in the first. If Scherff fell, I'd love to take him, but we need the flexibility to take some other positions. I agree we don't need to go WR in round 1, but we will likely to add more to the skill positions than a RB before RD 7.

I'd like to see that first round pick go CB, and have the 4th, 5th and 7th rounders back for WR, OL, and TE or NT.
Great job bro :)
Share 49ersWebzone