There are 242 users in the forums

- 3 -

Originally posted by DeUh:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Not a fan of OL in the 1st....I don't see the need for OG in the top 15, really hope we go in a different direction there.

Love the Smith,Anderson,T Jones,and Roberts picks

Not sure how I feel about the M Jones pick...how many RBs are we gonna have active? Will he just get snatched up on the practice squad?

Solid mock!

Think Anthony Dixon 2.0

Highly aggressive short-yardage thumper / pile-mover and core special-teams player.

Right I had him in a past mock as my Dixon 2.0 as well, but I think Millard could handle those duties if need be....he's 6-2 247.

I just don't want to waste a pick on a player that might get scooped up off the practice squad because I don't see him being active over Hyde/Bush/Hunter/Miller/Millard
Solid, any chance David Cobb over Matt Jones? If there of course, love it though, OL outstanding
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
Great job overall.

Thx !
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Overall, my kinda draft.

My only issue is that I'm not sure Devin Smith is the right guy for us as he seems more like a duplication of Torrey Smith. I'm thinking we need someone (especially after Boldin retires) who has the skills/speed to get deep but can also be consistent in catching the short/intermediate routes and get YAC. The latter doesn't seem to be what Devin Smith is good at nor built for (IMO).

Everything else looks solid, especially grabbing Collins at 15.

Agree with you, especially about the Devin Smith selection. Maybe Jaelen Strong, Devin Funchess, or Tre McBriade is the right guy for us in the 2nd or 3rd round. Overall though, good additions to both lines, a thumper at MLB, and some secondary help looks good to me.

Would love to get another Boldin-like WR this year but could easily see Baalke go the FA route in 2016. I also like Ellington + Patton in that role (skills/speed to get deep - consistent in catching the short/intermediate routes and get YAC).

Anquan, Torrey and Devin on the field at the same time + a dominant OL / running game -> pick your poison.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crew:
I liked Smith as a fit here, but that was before the Torrey Smith signing. Some height for the RDZ would be nice like Dunchess in the 2nd or 3rd and one of my favorites in addition to Funchess would be to add Vince Mayle in the 5th. Excellent possession receiver like Boldin, similar build.

Mayle had 19 drops last year and his actual drop rate was 11th worst in the country (# by PFF).

I´m a fan of Funchess.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
My problem with this draft if BAALKE was to do it this way is that it doesn't strengthen the secondary the way we need it right now. I think relying on Brock, Wright and Johnson would be a mistake throughout the season. Brock is 50/50 if he can stay healthy, not to mention I think is overrated as a starter. Wright gets toasted on a consistent basis. Johnson might be the only bright spot.

I actually like our CB depth. Especially with a good pass rush (Aldon, Lynch, Carradine, Dockett).

T-Brock is healthy and ready to go (according to Bethea), Johnson, Cook + Keith Reaser (I think he is the real deal), Kenneth Acker and Darryl Roberts (my #1 sleeper this year).

Nonetheless you can easily make the case for either OL, DL, WR or CB in the 1st and 2nd round.
[ Edited by DeUh on Apr 22, 2015 at 7:07 AM ]
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
I wonder if mocks should consider FB, given that Bruce Miller wasn't at the recent workouts. The Niners have Millard, but a backup might be needed, at least in camp.

It would be nice if we draft kenny hilliard and convert him to fb.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by gold49digger:
It would be nice if we draft kenny hilliard and convert him to fb.

Interesting.
Don't know much about the players but your strategy I can agree with. Oline makes sense to me, it all starts there, let's get it right on the line then move on from there.
So many RBs that excite me and you only pick one up late... not the worst but you're ignoring some nice toys for a run-first team.

Also OG in the 1st, while he may even be BPA at that point, I don't see how siting one of Collins, Boone or Thomas is a good thing.

Love the rest of the picks, including waiting on an ILB. There should be good value in that position in the 4th round I think.

De...one of the more practical mocks I've seen. Tend to agree w/Ghost and others WRT Devin Smith. I like him a lot...he definitely impressed in games vs 'Bama and Oregon. But, in TS and Simpson, we have two guys who can get downfield and stretch the defense...and with more PT we might be able to add Patton & Ellington to that list. With Boldin's Niner future after 2015 somewhat in doubt, I'd grab one of the bigger WR's...someone who can do some real damage in the medium passing range. Very nice job overall, though.
Hate the Lael Collins pick, especially at 15. I know I'm in the minority but I just don't think he's that good. Could get similar talent in rounds 2-3.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
So many RBs that excite me and you only pick one up late... not the worst but you're ignoring some nice toys for a run-first team.

Also OG in the 1st, while he may even be BPA at that point, I don't see how siting one of Collins, Boone or Thomas is a good thing.

Love the rest of the picks, including waiting on an ILB. There should be good value in that position in the 4th round I think.

Thx.

Yes this is BPA from 1st - 7th Round. I try to stay away from trade scenarios.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Hate the Lael Collins pick, especially at 15. I know I'm in the minority but I just don't think he's that good. Could get similar talent in rounds 2-3.

I think his flaws are minor and correctable.

Here are the 3 negatives I wrote down while watching his tape.

- Sometimes loses balance (needs to consistently bring his hips and feet with him)
- At times he will disengage too soon
- Hands in pass pro need work

Other than that I love his tape (I project him at OG or RT) and think he will thrive in a ZBS.
[ Edited by DeUh on Apr 20, 2015 at 4:51 PM ]
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:

You mean you don't expect any injuries on the OL at ALL this year?

IMO, nothing wrong with having Thomas back-up Boone at RG for one year with the idea of eventually replacing him. Thomas could also play OT in a pinch which comes in handy.

Staley, Boone, Kilgore, Collins, Davis, Thomas, Pears, Martin, and Looney if we keep 9 (which is unlikely)...that's a solid o-line right there.
Share 49ersWebzone