LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 250 users in the forums

OTC's Top Offensive Players Board: April 17 edition

Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
OTC, I'm trying to talk myself out of liking Perriman but there's just too much upside there. With him and Torrey Smith threatening downfield, that could really open things up for our run game and for our TEs/slot WRs. There's just no way teams can put 8 men in the box against that, not even Seattle.

It's not too hard. Watch his drops. He's not a natural pass catcher like the other top prospects. There is the good film where you think he looks like a Dez Bryant. And there is the bad film that reminds you he his not a developed pass catcher by any means. To put him ahead of Parker is kinda rediculous when you think about it. Perriman is a boom/bust prospect with a very high ceiling and very low floor.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. When you see/read about his pro day performance, he shows very natural hands which COULD lead one to believe that it's something that is correctable. He may never be Chris Carter, but if he can be T.O. without the head games, I could live with that. I don't dislike Parker, I just don't see anything special about him.

Do pro days have defenses? For him relating to the Niners, he just seems kind of a carbon copy of what Torrey Smith offers. He's more of a deep threat than chain mover. Haven't seen the intermediate routes or polished route running that makes me think he is a well rounded player. No doubt that he could be special, but i dont think he's going to come in and light the league on fire. He needs time to develop to maybe reach that exceptional level. He's more of a late 1 early 2 draft pick in my estimation. But yes beauty is in the eye of the beholder and speed can be a very seductive trait.

If I was more passionate about drafting him I'd counter your points, but I admit I'm on the fence.
OTC, I'm trying to talk myself out of liking Perriman but there's just too much upside there. With him and Torrey Smith threatening downfield, that could really open things up for our run game and for our TEs/slot WRs. There's just no way teams can put 8 men in the box against that, not even Seattle.

It's not too hard. Watch his drops. He's not a natural pass catcher like the other top prospects. There is the good film where you think he looks like a Dez Bryant. And there is the bad film that reminds you he his not a developed pass catcher by any means. To put him ahead of Parker is kinda rediculous when you think about it. Perriman is a boom/bust prospect with a very high ceiling and very low floor.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. When you see/read about his pro day performance, he shows very natural hands which COULD lead one to believe that it's something that is correctable. He may never be Chris Carter, but if he can be T.O. without the head games, I could live with that. I don't dislike Parker, I just don't see anything special about him.

Do pro days have defenses? For him relating to the Niners, he just seems kind of a carbon copy of what Torrey Smith offers. He's more of a deep threat than chain mover. Haven't seen the intermediate routes or polished route running that makes me think he is a well rounded player. No doubt that he could be special, but i dont think he's going to come in and light the league on fire. He needs time to develop to maybe reach that exceptional level. He's more of a late 1 early 2 draft pick in my estimation. But yes beauty is in the eye of the beholder and speed can be a very seductive trait.

If I was more passionate about drafting him I'd counter your points, but I admit I'm on the fence.

People who only watch Perriman's highlight tape think he's strictly a deep threat. As a Ucf alum and fan I watch every game and can tell you he runs a ton of intermediate routes and has no problem going over the middle. He does need a little work perfecting his route running, but he's definitely more than just a deep threat. I really think he can come in year 1 and put up solid numbers like a Mike Evans for example.
My WR rankings are:
1. Cooper
2. White
3. Parker
4. Perriman
5. Strong/Dorsett
OTC, thanks for bringing me up to speed on the offensive players likely to be drafted. Much appreciated. I have found out that tape does not lie most of the time. I remember looking at the tape of A.J. Jenkins after we drafted him and saw absolutely nothing. I was incredulous. The WR tape hard for me to ignore is Devante Parker, reminds me a lot of John Taylor - quickness, YAC and always in control with ball in the air. I saw the interviews and commentary about DBG's baggage. He looks good to go from my perspective. Looks like the has cleaned up his act. I think he is the guy the Niners are salivating about. His tape just shows how smaller DB's are completely over matched in trying to cover him. He looks like he is already for prime time. Either Parker or DBG would make me happy.
Originally posted by Luckycharms:

People who only watch Perriman's highlight tape think he's strictly a deep threat. As a Ucf alum and fan I watch every game and can tell you he runs a ton of intermediate routes and has no problem going over the middle. He does need a little work perfecting his route running, but he's definitely more than just a deep threat. I really think he can come in year 1 and put up solid numbers like a Mike Evans for example.
My WR rankings are:
1. Cooper
2. White
3. Parker
4. Perriman
5. Strong/Dorsett

OTC, it looks like the draft has huge depth at WR and RB. From a value perspective, does that mean you think the Niners will target CB or DL first, since there are less talent there?
Originally posted by ninergold:
OTC, it looks like the draft has huge depth at WR and RB. From a value perspective, does that mean you think the Niners will target CB or DL first, since there are less talent there?

I absolutely think that Baalke will target CB/DL or ILB in the first. With so much depth at WR at RB values can be had with the second pick. The other option would be to trade down to pick 27 (if willing partner) and their second. Having 3 picks in the top 60 would be awesome in such a deep draft.

That being said if the top CB or DL was on the board at 15????
Originally posted by SDDAVE:
OTC, thanks for bringing me up to speed on the offensive players likely to be drafted. Much appreciated. I have found out that tape does not lie most of the time. I remember looking at the tape of A.J. Jenkins after we drafted him and saw absolutely nothing. I was incredulous. The WR tape hard for me to ignore is Devante Parker, reminds me a lot of John Taylor - quickness, YAC and always in control with ball in the air. I saw the interviews and commentary about DBG's baggage. He looks good to go from my perspective. Looks like the has cleaned up his act. I think he is the guy the Niners are salivating about. His tape just shows how smaller DB's are completely over matched in trying to cover him. He looks like he is already for prime time. Either Parker or DBG would make me happy.

I think the team really wants a WR like DGB, but is Baalke up for that gamble? I don't know. As far as AJ Jenkins, I saw the exact same -- nothing. I gave him a 4th round grade, and that was generous. I was furious when we took him in the 1st. I thought it was pretty clear to anyone with strong football knowledge that he was not a 1st round talent. Sometimes good GMs simply make big errors in judgement.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Apr 20, 2015 at 7:29 AM ]
Originally posted by 9erred:
Originally posted by ninergold:

I absolutely think that Baalke will target CB/DL or ILB in the first. With so much depth at WR at RB values can be had with the second pick. The other option would be to trade down to pick 27 (if willing partner) and their second. Having 3 picks in the top 60 would be awesome in such a deep draft.

That being said if the top CB or DL was on the board at 15????

Right now I feel almost certain the team will take a DL within the first 4 rounds, and personally think Arik Amstead is a very, very strong possibility at 15. Baalke has been much more patient with WRs (almost to a fault) since the disaster a few years ago. But WR will all come down to value at the spot we're at -- I would not rule out a trade up for a WR if one we love falls far enough.

Also, it seems to me the team really loves Marcus Peters and I get the sense they're enamoured with DGB's potential. But I'm iffy on whether or not I'm convinced they're willing to make either a Top 15 pick. I really like Eric Rowe of Utah and think he's a darkhorse 1st round candidate for some team. Was hoping we could get him in the 2nd, but I don't see that happening now.
My WR rankings are:
1. Cooper
2. White
3. Parker
4. Perriman
5. Strong/Dorsett

Thanks for the insight on Perriman. Your input makes me feel better about him as a prospect, as I feel the focus drops are coachable. DGB getting a second visit seems a little on-the-nose for Baalke. Either it's smoke, or he's counting on everyone else thinking it's smoke.
#DraftToddGurley

Originally posted by AsianJeff:
#DraftToddGurley

You have a real problem. You should get help. Until you get it, I'll support your cause.

#DraftTOddGurleyinthethird
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
#DraftToddGurley

You have a real problem. You should get help. Until you get it, I'll support your cause.

lol

is it a problem that i want our team to draft the best talent in this draft?
My WR rankings are:
1. Cooper
2. White
3. Parker
4. Perriman
5. Strong/Dorsett

Thanks for the insight on Perriman. Your input makes me feel better about him as a prospect, as I feel the focus drops are coachable. DGB getting a second visit seems a little on-the-nose for Baalke. Either it's smoke, or he's counting on everyone else thinking it's smoke.

It is incredibly easy to get a wrong impression from highlight reels. They don't give you a real play by play perspective to go off of. @Lucky, Perriman obviously has some rawness, but I think he's further along than DGB. Watching his games, it's hard not to believe this kid has star potential.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Biggest shocker is Ajayi as 9th best RB. Just don't know what you're thinking on that one.

On Ajayi, it's not that he isn't a good player, he simply fell a fraction below the others on the grading scale. Him being at #9 is again a testament to just how deep this position group is. With Ajayi, his production, vision, speed in the open field, and pass catching ability make a very valuable player who has starter ability. But he's not without some questions or flaws.

His level of competition is obviously something to look at, but I found that he kept falling just a hair below the others in several key areas. Not as much wiggle to get out of tackles in tight spaces or elude defenders the way you see guys like Abdullah, Gordon, and Duke Johnson do. Does not consistently run through the arm tackles from what I've noticed as well. Pass protection, ball security and the ability to lower the shoulder and always fall forward when meeting a defender head-on were things that he just didn't quite collectively do better than some of the others ahead of him, in my opinion. In his game against Nevada, you saw him even with a full head of steam in the open field get blown up and crushed to the ground. He also lost a hand-off for a critical fumble because he was too focused on the rush instead of securing the ball. Another question some scouts have had is his endurance and whether or not he could be relied on as a workhorse back in the NFL. The last thing to note is that I'm sure teams would also want to explore his character and injury history as he does have some incidents on his record to dig into there.

All in all, Ajayi still gets a 3rd round grade for me, and I think the collective research does a pretty good job supporting that.

Just to follow-up in regards to Ajayi -- new report showing Ajayi has been red flagged for a previous injury.

Originally posted by NorthBay49er:
A "number of teams" have red flagged Boise State RB Jay Ajayi's knee when reviewing medical checks, according to Tony Pauline.

The knee injury (which was described as "shredded") occurred during an attempted theft when Ajayi was 18 years old after just moving to the U.S. for football. Beat writer Chadd Cripe once said "The injury on the field was so bad that coaches wondered if he'd recover." Pauline's report is worth keeping in mind during draft weekend, especially if Ajayi stays on the board longer than expected.
Source: TFY Draft Insider
Apr 20 - 12:43 PM
#DraftToddGurley

lol

is it a problem that i want our team to draft the best talent in this draft?

You realize that not everybody believes Gurley is the best talent in the draft, right?
Share 49ersWebzone