LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 205 users in the forums

A More Balanced Mock

Torrey & Devin Smith.....Woah

Nice mock.
There ya go!

• I'm a Peters fan, I love the passion he brings and he could be a stud press-corner. (like you said if Parker falls he needs to be the pick)
  • I've been on the Smith bandwagon for a while, I think he can learn a lot from our WR coach about route-running....baalke has talked a lot about adding speed. He scored a TD every 3 times he touched the ball, that's a play maker to me
  • Dawson just makes plays and working with Bowman can only make him a better player and teammate.
  • Smith would be a steal, in my book. Frank has a ton of issues, but it's our comp pick and worth the risk IMO (he might go later than this)
  • Magee most likely doesn't last until the 6th and I'd like him in the 5th over Mayle.
  • Bobby Richardson is a sleeper IMO and I love his length,motor, and monster hands. He would help in a rotation. He might go higher than the 7th.

One thing I would change is maybe moving up in the 5th for Magee and grabbing Smelter in the 6th. DeAndre would have a full year to get healthy and learn, I think he has a ton of upside.

Overall one of the best mocks I've seen good job man
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Apr 15, 2015 at 6:59 AM ]
  • crew
  • Veteran
Excellent picks, fairly realistic. A couple of these guys might go a round earlier - Dawson and Donovan Smith. As for Richardson, Baalke would have to take him in Rd5.
Very nice mock. I'm beginning to think you can't pass up Peters @ 15. But if Shelton is still there... yikes?
Have you guys watched Marcus Peters in off coverage? And how is Paul Dawson available in the 3rd round?! Haha.
Good mock! All your picks fall near or after the niners picks according to several lists...so Dawson in the third is not out of the question. He's a bit small for the spot, which may cause him to fall. CBS has been all over the place but ranks him 2/3 round. They have Peters listed at 26, so perhaps a trade down? If they are nearly correct, the 9ers would have their choice at 26 of Peters, Collins or Rowe. That might give Baalke the assurance of getting a good CB and still picking up an extra pick. It would be interesting to hear what Reid thinks of LSU's Collins at CB--6'1" 203. He was a freshman when Reid was there but perhaps he has kept watch.

Not sure they wait until the seventh round to pick a DT but Tomsula has stated he has never had the quality and depth they currently have on the DL...so maybe! If not, Davis has fallen a bit on some lists...51st on CBS. So...trade down for a CB, take Smith in the 2nd and get Davis with the extra pick!
Originally posted by daragon:
Have you guys watched Marcus Peters in off coverage? And how is Paul Dawson available in the 3rd round?! Haha.

He's not as good as say a Kevin Johnson in off coverage but he's no slouch either. He's better than any other corner in run support. He's the best in press, which is what Mangini plays. He dominated all the number one receivers in the Pac 12.

And he's instinctual. He reads plays before they happen, he jumps routes and comes up with ints. I can overlook a little recovery in off coverage for all those things.

As for Paul Dawson he's projected as a late two, early third. But he's 40 time and lack of athleticism makes him the more likely player to fall. I mean do you think Kendricks, McKinney, Anthony, Perryman, and Dawson will all be gone by the 3rd? I don't think so. One of them is going to fall. I hope it's Dawson.
[ Edited by ivanm05 on Apr 15, 2015 at 8:54 AM ]
I'd be happy w/this.
Love this draft.

Peters, Dawson and Smith are 3 of my favorites. But, I don't know if Dawson will be available in the 3rd.

Great work.
Originally posted by tyler9er71:
Very nice mock, I like all the picks and they seem realistic for the rounds they are chosen in. The only thing I would possibly change is Devin Smith in round 2, I like Smith but there are questions about his route running. I really like Dorsett in round 2, but smith is very fast and can really track those deep passes. Maybe I am just over analyzing, this is one of the beat mocks that I have seen.

Dorsett is a blazer. He and Smith averaged more yards per catch than any other receivers. I like Smith more just because of his size, but both are studs.

Originally posted by davidboutte:
Peters is a head case. Wayne's is #1 CB and Devin Smith is over rated as a 2nd rounder. One trick pony don't become #1 WR. We have plenty of guys that can be a #3

Peters is better than Wayne's in that he is a more sure tackler, he's miles better at run support, and he attacks the ball better.

And I'm sorry but Devin isn't a one trick pony. People need to understand that he had to stretch the field for Ohio because there was no one else that could. He had to fill that role and he did it superbly. I mean the kid beat every coverage he faced and would torch them w the deep pass. It was working, so why would they stop.

If you see the Michigan State tape you'll see some of his other attributes.

Thanks for the feedback.
Originally posted by ivanm05:
Peters is better than Wayne's in that he is a more sure tackler, he's miles better at run support, and he attacks the ball better.

And I'm sorry but Devin isn't a one trick pony. People need to understand that he had to stretch the field for Ohio because there was no one else that could. He had to fill that role and he did it superbly. I mean the kid beat every coverage he faced and would torch them w the deep pass. It was working, so why would they stop.

Thanks for the feedback.

Some see speed and think vertical...whereas speed can be just as effective in crossing routes and once speed is respected, it opens up the shorter stuff!
Originally posted by ivanm05:

Thanks for the feedback.

Agreed he smoked some good CBs at Michigan ST and had a great game against Wisconsin (both top 10 defenses). If we wait until the 2nd or later to draft a WR, I don't see a #1 regardless... so grabbing someone that can make plays like he did (with minimum targets) would be nice.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Ivan...one of the better mocks this off-season. Two things...I hope Baalke takes one of the stud DL early...we still don't know for sure Justin Smith's coming back, but even if he does, now's the time to get one of the best "bigs". The other thing is no TE...and it's a need with Vernon entering his contract season and not much in receiving talent behind him. Don't be surprised to see Baalke grab Miami's Clive Walford...dude's a baller and could wreak havoc with our speed guys stretching the defense. Other than that, very nice work, man.

Yeah maybe Baalke trades down and takes a guy like Goldman in the 1st, then goes Wr second and then goes corner with one of the thirds.

I like Walford a lot I'm just afraid you would have to invest a second rounder on him and I'm not sure Baalke wants to do that.

I guess I'm just hanging on to a little bit of hope that Vance McDonald can finally put it together this coming season.

Thanks for your feedback Corva.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Nice mock, but I would be very surprised if Donovan Smith makes it that far. He was a good player in college with good athleticism for his size and has long arms (34 3/8"). 32" vertical and 9'1" broad jump are pretty impressive for a 338 pound lineman. CBS and MadDog rank him as the next best tackle after Fisher and Ogbuehi which likely makes him a late second/early 3rd round pick.

Yeah bro, he's definitely the one reach I have in this mock. He's really good. He's just fallen under the radar in the sense that not many mention him with all other great line men but he's good.
Share 49ersWebzone