There are 175 users in the forums

A More Balanced Mock

My mocks have primarily been defensive, and I went back and tried to find a more balanced mix of both offense and defense. The following is a take of what that would look like.

Round 1

Marcus Peters - CB - Washington

He's the best corner in the draft, and if he's there I am ninety percent certain he will take him. How often can you pick the best player at his position in the middle of round one and still fill your biggest need? You go BPA with Peters and still fill the team's biggest need. This kid is going to be a lockdown/pro bowl corner. How can you pass that up at 15.

The only way he overlooks Peters is if somehow Parker, Cooper or White fall to him, but that's not going to happen.

Round 2

Devin Smith - WR - OSU

This guy is just fire. No one traces the deep ball like he does, he blazes past coverage. Doesn't struggle too much against press. You want seperation? this is your guy. Out of all the receivers coming out this year, he's the one that could have similar production to OBJ. especially if Kaep can get him the ball deep. He's highly underrated. He's a 1st round talent that is just victim of this class' depth.

He does need some help on the intermediate routes. But with Henry as the new receiver coach i am fully confident they can get Smith nice and polished.

Plus, he's shown big games don't phase him. Came up huge in the BIG 10 championship and the natl Championship too.

The speed out there with T. Smith, D. Smith, and VD, would open stuff underneath for Ellington and Hyde. Easy pickings.

Round 3

Paul Dawson - ILB - TCU

Not the most athletic but one of the more sure/productive linebackers in this draft. Best instincts from all the other linebackers.

Round 4

Donovan Smith - OT - Penn State

he's listed as a tackle but he would be much better as a Guard. This guy is just a beast. Would be another great addition to the line. Check out his tape against Randy Gregory.

Pick 2:

Frank Clark - DE - Michigan

This guy would have gone in the 2nd round if it were not for his off the field stuff. Say what you will about winning with class. Baalke could care less about that he's shown he'll overlook some of that stuff for talent, especially in the later rounds.

Round 5

Vince Mayle - WR - WSU

We already have speed with Devin, now we get technique with Mayle. Solid WR with good blocking route running. Would be a solid possession receiver in the future.

Round 6

Terrance Magee - RB - LSU

A nice compliment to Hyde. This guy pass protects, run hard in between the tackles. There's nothing not to like.

Round 7

Bobby Richardson - DT - Indiana

Pick 2:

Kysheon Jarret - S - Virginia Tech

We're a concussion away from having Craig Dahl starting at S. This guy would be at worst a solid Special Teamer. Hits hard. Covers well.

Very nice mock
Nice mock.
Very nice mock, I like all the picks and they seem realistic for the rounds they are chosen in. The only thing I would possibly change is Devin Smith in round 2, I like Smith but there are questions about his route running. I really like Dorsett in round 2, but smith is very fast and can really track those deep passes. Maybe I am just over analyzing, this is one of the beat mocks that I have seen.
Peters is a head case. Wayne's is #1 CB and Devin Smith is over rated as a 2nd rounder. One trick pony don't become #1 WR. We have plenty of guys that can be a #3
Wow, Peters, wow...that would be a steal.
Nice mock
Ivan...one of the better mocks this off-season. Two things...I hope Baalke takes one of the stud DL early...we still don't know for sure Justin Smith's coming back, but even if he does, now's the time to get one of the best "bigs". The other thing is no TE...and it's a need with Vernon entering his contract season and not much in receiving talent behind him. Don't be surprised to see Baalke grab Miami's Clive Walford...dude's a baller and could wreak havoc with our speed guys stretching the defense. Other than that, very nice work, man.
Nice mock, but I would be very surprised if Donovan Smith makes it that far. He was a good player in college with good athleticism for his size and has long arms (34 3/8"). 32" vertical and 9'1" broad jump are pretty impressive for a 338 pound lineman. CBS and MadDog rank him as the next best tackle after Fisher and Ogbuehi which likely makes him a late second/early 3rd round pick.
Like Marcus Peters, can live with Devin Smith in the 3rd round if we've actually drafted a WR that is at least capable of being a future #1... not in the 2nd,

Very nice mock with value all the way through. Couple of questionable characters in Peters and Clark, but they are talented players. Would be a stretch on the PR side, but not on the field. Would not be upset with this draft class.
Possibly my favorite mock draft. Great work!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Nice mock.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Very solid mock, I could see Baalke going this route.
Seems both realistic and reasonable. Good Mock!
Share 49ersWebzone