LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 266 users in the forums

Draft Strategy that is Overlooked

Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by bluntkiss:
This only works if the GM has long-term job security. After all the controversy this off-season--especially the dismissal of Harbaugh-- the pressure is on the front office to win now. With question marks at ILB, CB, WR, etc, Trent needs to find talent to step in from day one and contribute. It will be interesting to see how he balances planning/ drafting for the future vs. drafting for this season, with the intention of assuaging pressure and criticism from the fan-base and potentially ownership. He could place all his chips on a lot of the existing roster depth to step up, but I'd imagine he'd hedge his bets by keeping all, if not moving up for picks this year.

You have been reading the gutter press too much. There is no indication that Baalke's position is in jeopardy and plenty of comments that he is still thinking long term.

Yes, while there's been no official indication that Baalke's job is in danger, you'd have to imagine that there's more pressure on him to win now than ever before. I'm sure he's keeping on eye on the future--like all good GMs do-- but this offseason and upcoming season is a first for Baalke. Prior to last season, he was at the helm of one of the most successful franchises in football over a three year span. He could afford taking risks in the draft and trading away picks for future seasons because the team was winning and full of quality depth. While the latter arguably hasn't changed all that much, we've lost numerous starters. If he can't draft some quality players this year to make an immediate impact, and/or if relative unknowns on the roster don't measure up on the field, then we might be looking at second strait season without a winning record.

Don't get me wrong, I think Baalke is a fantastic GM--a top-tier talent evaluator. But if he can't field a winning team this year there's going to be a lot of finger pointing and scrape-goating, and a lot of that will directed towards him. I'm sure he's aware of that and is likely planning this offseason accordingly.
  • Andra
  • Veteran
Originally posted by txninerdad80:
I am of the opinion that we should be trading away our first round pick 15 for a 2nd or third this year and a 1 for next year. It really is the only move we should be considering. Doing this allows us to completely control the draft next year and restock. We got a lot of depth guys stepping up this year. I'd much rather see what we got talent wise this year and then make another run over the next three years starting next year. With two ones next year, plus the comp picks we could stack the team again. What you guys think? It would be similar to what we did when we draft Iupati and Davis in round 1 a few years back.

I think I would like this strategy if we could find a team that is ahead of us in the draft this year and that will more than likely have a high draft position next year ( Jags, Raiders, Tampa, ect.) and with the extra pick we would gain this year we might be able to trade back up into the 1st round if there was someone available that we really wanted.
Originally posted by Andra:
I think I would like this strategy if we could find a team that is ahead of us in the draft this year and that will more than likely have a high draft position next year ( Jags, Raiders, Tampa, ect.) and with the extra pick we would gain this year we might be able to trade back up into the 1st round if there was someone available that we really wanted.

I completely agree, We have two picks in the 4th round and the 15th and 14th in rounds two and three. If we trade back and get an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick we could totally trade back up to the late first round or the top of the second round to grab our guy this year. We would also still have two first round picks for next year. I'm sure a team like the Bills, Jets, Redskins, and or Eagles would jump at the chance for two first round picks this year. They are all really close playoff contenders. Two difference makers this year and they make the playoffs. Come on Trent make this deal. Trade the 15th pick this year for a 3rd this year and a 1 next year. Then trade back up to grab our guy with one of our 4th round picks and bundle it with a 2nd or 3rd round pick to get back into round one or the top of round two.
I think i've settled in on who we should trade back up to get. It has to be Dorian Green Beckham. He's like a Vernon Davis freak at WR. With him in our offseason program he will pack on muscle, get lean, and look stout like many of the guys that come to our team. Couple all that with Boldin and Smith as mentors and I feel like legal trouble and off the field issues could be avoided. After we trade back up to grab this guy we address depth at all the other need positions like ILB, CB, DL, & OL for the remainder of the draft. Perfect draft IMO.

Next year we'll be primed and ready with a young superbowl ready roster yet again. With two first round picks and the potential for two 2nd round picks based on the idea that one of our comp picks for next year is a 2nd. The sky is the limit. Next year we can solidify the defense with a difference maker at two different levels of the defense. Potentially, CB and ILB. Then we could grab our next most pressing need in round two probably OL, or DL. Basically we'd be drafting three starters next year.

Make this happen Trent. Niner Faithful for life. This is coming from a guy that actually sat in Arrowhead stadium and witnessed Montana, Marcus Allen & Derek Thomas dismantle our Niner team. Best game i've ever seen.
[ Edited by txninerdad80 on Apr 18, 2015 at 9:23 AM ]
Originally posted by txninerdad80:
Many sports gurus I know that follow college much more than I do would agree that this years talent pools falls off right around that 15 spot. Turning that pick into a later pick in rounds 2-4 this year with a sec 1 next year is the way to go. I'm not sure on the talent for next year but let's be honest there is always talent. With a sec 1st for next year the niners could hold multiple picks in every round! What's the current count on comp picks based on player value? It's like three picks correct through rounds 2-4 plus the typical compensation added in rounds 6-7. Just imagine nearly 2 picks in every round. We could play the board, grab our guys, fill our holes, and recreate the depth we used to have to make the last super bowl run. It's the only choice imo! With the needs we have we can find talent later in the draft. CB, DL,OL, etc... The only thing I'd be willing to waste that 15 on would be a mlb replacement for Willis and Borland. Anyone know the round and pick we drafted Borland at?

Not sure where your two picks in every round deal is coming from. 49ers might get an extra 4th, a 6th and a 7th rounder on comp picks for next year.
You have to go 1 round HIGHER in next years draft for this strategy to work. Historically someone is smitten with someone in round 2, they give up next years number 1 and this years number 3.

I have NEVER seen someone give up a like round pick for a pick next year. That would be GM suicide.

Also you state the talent drops off after 15, who is to say that a top 10 talent doesn't drop to 15,??
Share 49ersWebzone