There are 135 users in the forums

Overrated & Underrated mid-April

I did one of these on the other cite I used to frequent before we all met up here. Fowler Jr. was my #1 underrated before the season, and Mario Edwards Jr was my #1 overrated baefore the season. They ended up switching spots on all the mock drafts. Now that the draft is close and people have moved up & down, here's who I think is underrated & overrated.

Overrated:

Winston
Shelton - 2nd-round material IMO
Perriman - 2nd-round material IMO
Jalen Collins - 2nd-round material IMO
Randy Gregory (thought so before the arrest)
Arik Armstead

Underrated:

Goldman
Gurley
Devin Smith
Marcus Peters
Devin Funchess
PJ Williams
Chris Conley

Gurley's the only must-have on that list IMO. He's worth a top 10 pick. You want that man on your football team. Hope the Niners trade into next year's draft (unless they trade up for Leonard Williams of course; and I hope they do).
I like this thread

(Only potential 1st rounders)
Over-
Arik Armstead
Dorial Green Beckham
Andrus Peat
PJ Williams
Jamies Winston
Paul Dawson

Under-
Eli Harold
Todd Gurley
Bud Dupree
Cody Prewitt (not 1st round but should be 2nd)

I'll edit in some more here shortly
Overrated:
Brandon Scherff
Lael Collins
Andrus Peat
Danny Shelton
Breshad Perriman
Arik Armstead
Denzel Perryman
Mitch Morse (impressive bench press number, but extremely short arms which is more important)
Trae Waynes

Underrated:
Todd Gurley
Devin Smith
Randy Gregory (best defensive player not named Leonard Williams on the field, great length and gets the most out of it)
Chris Conley
Cedric Ogbuehi (saw him in the 7th round in a mock which made me lol, but I think he goes 2nd round)
Kevin Johnson

I think some of the offensive linemen are overrated because this class is pretty weak at the top and draft analysts are trying to fit O-linemen into their mocks on teams that need help there. I don't think any deserve to be taken before the 49ers pick. Shelton and Armstead don't have great length and have underwhelming athleticism compared to what people thought prior to the combine, but somehow this didn't affect their draft stock.
Funchess is a boom or bust pick, 4.70 pro day, 4.50 workout, should we split the difference and say 4.60? Is he a wide out or tight end?
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
I did one of these on the other cite I used to frequent before we all met up here. Fowler Jr. was my #1 underrated before the season, and Mario Edwards Jr was my #1 overrated baefore the season. They ended up switching spots on all the mock drafts. Now that the draft is close and people have moved up & down, here's who I think is underrated & overrated.

Overrated:

Winston
Arik Armstead

Underrated:

Goldman
Gurley
Devin Smith
Marcus Peters
Devin Funchess
PJ Williams
Chris Conley

Gurley's the only must-have on that list IMO. He's worth a top 10 pick. You want that man on your football team. Hope the Niners trade into next year's draft (unless they trade up for Leonard Williams of course; and I hope they do).

Good post!

I think if Gurley is there Dallas makes a trade move w/us.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Funchess is a boom or bust pick, 4.70 pro day, 4.50 workout, should we split the difference and say 4.60? Is he a wide out or tight end?

Anquan Bolden went in rd 2 after a 4.7 40. Just sayin
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Overrated:
Brandon Scherff
Lael Collins
Andrus Peat
Danny Shelton
Breshad Perriman
Arik Armstead
Denzel Perryman
Mitch Morse (impressive bench press number, but extremely short arms which is more important)
Trae Waynes

Underrated:
Todd Gurley
Devin Smith
Randy Gregory (best defensive player not named Leonard Williams on the field, great length and gets the most out of it)
Chris Conley
Cedric Ogbuehi (saw him in the 7th round in a mock which made me lol, but I think he goes 2nd round)
Kevin Johnson

I think some of the offensive linemen are overrated because this class is pretty weak at the top and draft analysts are trying to fit O-linemen into their mocks on teams that need help there. I don't think any deserve to be taken before the 49ers pick. Shelton and Armstead don't have great length and have underwhelming athleticism compared to what people thought prior to the combine, but somehow this didn't affect their draft stock.

Morse is a 4-5 round prospect and you have him over rated
Originally posted by davidboutte:
Morse is a 4-5 round prospect and you have him over rated

It seems like he's a 4th round prospect most places, but he's also in a disproportionate amount of 49ers mocks on here. And yes, I think the 4th round is too high for him.
Malcom Brown is creeping onto the overrated list IMO.

Want PJ Williams badly if he's there in the 3rd.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Overrated:

Jalen Strong
Mariota
Philip Dorsett

Underrated

Devin Smith
TJ Yeldon
Cedric Ogbuehi

• crew
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Good post!

I think if Gurley is there Dallas makes a trade move w/us.

I have been thinking this for awhile, makes sense for the Cowboys to trade up to #15 to leapfrog Chargers (17) and Lions (23).
Depends on how much they want him, will cost them their 2nd Rd pick. If they offer, Baalke should do it.
I think Gregory is overrated and I do not want him even at 15. I like the size and potential of both Shelton and Armstead but im not feeling either of them.

I do think Kevin Johnson is underrated and I won't be surprised if we snag him at 15 or if we trade down.
Originally posted by NinerSickness:

Overrated:

Winston
Arik Armstead

Underrated:

Goldman
Gurley
Devin Smith
Marcus Peters
Devin Funchess
PJ Williams
Chris Conley

Why are the mentioned players over- or underrated respectively?
Share 49ersWebzone