LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

MadDog49er Best Board Offense Plus Notes April 11

Originally posted by Zachary:
MD, you should be on tv bud, great work!

Thanks. Happier behind the scenes.
Originally posted by notchflaw:
Hey MadDog,

Long time reader...thanks again for all the work year to year. Don't always agree with you on certain players, but love the analysis and the debate it stirs up.

Question regarding the RB's. You mentioned you watched a bunch of USC games recently. Thoughts on Buck Allen...a little surprised that he didn't make your top 10

I like Allen, but in a stacked RB draft class, he simply doesn't make that top layer of players for me. I've got him as 12th best RB in this draft class. To bad he isn't a TE or S.
So, you don't think Poutasi or Matias are top 10 guards? Where would you rank them?
I could understand why someone would drop Winston off their draft board... but I don't think his off-field issues are the type that will keep him from being able to perform ON THE FIELD. Whether you want a guy with his past as the face of your franchise, however, is a completely different story.

Winston and Manziel's problems were completely different. Manziel was a well known party animal in college, it wasn't exactly a secret that he would be up all night drinking and blowing coke and God knows what else. He was told to leave the Manning Passing Academy when he was supposed to be a counselor there because he got too hammered the night before and didn't show up to coach.

Winston hasn't had any issues in terms of his work ethic or preparation for the game.

Difference between character flaws and substance abuse issues, IMO.
MD I'm curious how you can call Carl Davis a Top 15 talent when he offers very little in terms of pass rush.

Or if you DO feel like he can be or is a solid pass rusher, what would lead you to believe that.
Originally posted by LowerTheBoom:
MD I'm curious how you can call Carl Davis a Top 15 talent when he offers very little in terms of pass rush.

Or if you DO feel like he can be or is a solid pass rusher, what would lead you to believe that.

He's not going to get a lot of sacks, that is true. However, he is a guy who lives in the backfield, and blows up a lot of plays. He also occupies a ton of blockers. Eddie Goldman is similar in that way.

His Senior Bowl week and game were outstanding. I always like to see how players raise their game, and play at a higher level against All-Star competition. To me, Davis was an All-Star in the All-Star week. He and Shelton were a nightmare all week long.
Originally posted by LowerTheBoom:
I could understand why someone would drop Winston off their draft board... but I don't think his off-field issues are the type that will keep him from being able to perform ON THE FIELD. Whether you want a guy with his past as the face of your franchise, however, is a completely different story.

Winston and Manziel's problems were completely different. Manziel was a well known party animal in college, it wasn't exactly a secret that he would be up all night drinking and blowing coke and God knows what else. He was told to leave the Manning Passing Academy when he was supposed to be a counselor there because he got too hammered the night before and didn't show up to coach.

Winston hasn't had any issues in terms of his work ethic or preparation for the game.

Difference between character flaws and substance abuse issues, IMO.

I agree that this guy loves football, and is a terrific on the field leader. My problem is that there seems to be a trail of smoke wherever he goes off the field, and so few of these guys in the past have success.

Also, the TD-INT ratio in the back end of last year was abominable. To me, he is a turnover machine in the NFL. So many errors in judgment.
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
So, you don't think Poutasi or Matias are top 10 guards? Where would you rank them?

To me, Matias is undraftable. Great college player with little to no upside at the next level. His level of athleticism is really poor. Poutasi played out of position at Utah. He needs to kick inside, and I think he is 5th-6th round value. I'd put him in a phone booth and let him slug it out in a power run offense, which is what would suit him the best.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

To me, Matias is undraftable. Great college player with little to no upside at the next level. His level of athleticism is really poor. Poutasi played out of position at Utah. He needs to kick inside, and I think he is 5th-6th round value. I'd put him in a phone booth and let him slug it out in a power run offense, which is what would suit him the best.

I agree that Poutasi is better suited as G, but his ability to possibly play some T as a backup/swing guy intrigues me. For that reason, I would have him as a fringe top 10 player at G and as a good value in the 5th round, possibly going as high as the 4th. I'm surprised you aren't a little higher on him.

What about Kouandjio? He's another guy you don't have in your top 10 at G that many have as top 5.
I agree that Poutasi is better suited as G, but his ability to possibly play some T as a backup/swing guy intrigues me. For that reason, I would have him as a fringe top 10 player at G and as a good value in the 5th round, possibly going as high as the 4th. I'm surprised you aren't a little higher on him.

What about Kouandjio? He's another guy you don't have in your top 10 at G that many have as top 5.

Not sure what was worse, his brother's knees last year, or Arie's knees. Both look shot to me. Not much athleticism for the next level and shaky knees is a bad combination. I didn't like Cyrus last year, grading him undraftable, and I'm out on Arie as well.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Apr 14, 2015 at 2:33 PM ]

MD, quick note on Dres Anderson. Completed his workout today and looked terrific. Caught everything, clocked 4.47 in the forty, 4.20 short shuttle, 6.87 three-cone, 11.32 in the 60 yard shuttle, and 10-1 broad jump. Explosiveness is certainly not in question right now. Immediately have him vaulted up the boards for me into at least 3rd round consideration. I actually grade him higher than Perriman.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
MD, quick note on Dres Anderson. Completed his workout today and looked terrific. Caught everything, clocked 4.47 in the forty, 4.20 short shuttle, 6.87 three-cone, 11.32 in the 60 yard shuttle, and 10-1 broad jump. Explosiveness is certainly not in question right now. Immediately have him vaulted up the boards for me into at least 3rd round consideration. I actually grade him higher than Perriman.

I saw the solid day he had. The three cone tells me he is at, or near 100 percent. I still think he is a 4th rounder, but we will see.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

I saw the solid day he had. The three cone tells me he is at, or near 100 percent. I still think he is a 4th rounder, but we will see.

The next two weeks are hardcore crunch time. Second guessing left and right. Torture.
Great job MadDog
He's not going to get a lot of sacks, that is true. However, he is a guy who lives in the backfield, and blows up a lot of plays. He also occupies a ton of blockers. Eddie Goldman is similar in that way.

His Senior Bowl week and game were outstanding. I always like to see how players raise their game, and play at a higher level against All-Star competition. To me, Davis was an All-Star in the All-Star week. He and Shelton were a nightmare all week long.

Well, I didn't pay much attention to the Senior Bowl this year... so I will take your word for it. I will also add that I have always been a big proponent of good Senior Bowl performances translating to the field.

I don't really care about the drills/practices, so much as I do the games. I know the idea is that "Scout don't put stock into the game, they are more worried about the practices...", but historically, the players that perform well in the game tend to be quality pro's, for the most part. Patrick Willis comes to mind, and on the flip side of the coin, there is Adam Carriker, who had great practices, but wasn't much of a factor in the game. I think history tells the story of how each guy fared.

But if the game was outstanding, that says a lot.

I think living in the backfield vs. the run and vs. the pass are two different things though. A guy who can hold his ground vs the run can't necessarily collapse the pocket.

From what I've seen from Carl Davis, there IS power there, I just don't know if I see the explosion. Maybe I'll have to go back and take a second look.
Share 49ersWebzone