LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 250 users in the forums

How likely is this to happen?

I will be the first to admit that I am no draft guru but I think there is more value in the middle round of the draft than in the first round. Which is why I would be an advocate of trading completely out the first round. I'm not sure if my math for value of moving down is correct so I am looking for help from you guys. Tell me if you think this scenario is possible in regards to compensation for trading down.

1. First round – No. 15 overall

TRADE; The 49ers send their 1st round pick (15) to the Patriots for their 1st round pick (32) and the Patriots 2nd round pick pick (64). Pats get away with great value and a replacement for Wilfork in Malcom Brown out of Texas. The 49ers then trade out again with the Jets to move out of the first round (32) into the second round (37) and pick up an extra 3rd round pick (70), meanwhile the Jets add Brett Hundley as long term solution at the QB poistion. Our draft haul would be as follows;

2. Second round – No. 37 overall

3. Second round – No. 46 overall

4. Second round -- No. 64 overall

5. Third round – No. 70 overall

6. Third round – No. 79 overall

7. Fourth round – No. 127 overall (from the Denver Broncos)

8. Fourth round – No. 132 overall (compensatory)

9. Fifth round – No. 151 overall

10. Sixth round – No. 189 overall

11. Seventh round – No. 246 overall (from the Indianapolis Colts)

12. Seventh round – No. 254 overall (compensatory)
[ Edited by 24plus25er on Apr 10, 2015 at 12:02 PM ]
Trading with Pats will get you more than just a 2nd round, it can get 3rd and maybe a 4th.
Your trade values are WAY off

It will take more than just a 2nd rounder for the Pats to move up 17 spots.
Your looking at getting a whole lot more than the last pick in the 2nd round from the Pats. Your looking at a similar trade SF was trying to do to get OBJ last year. We would want their 1st, 2nd, 3rd at the very least...and your calling my trade unrealistic.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/Value-Chart.php

The Pats never trade up that high for one player let alone a NT, that will probably be there 5 to 10 picks later. When are any of these 12 players gonna play? We drafted 12 players last year and 11 before that.... What happened to all the players from the past two years, did people forget about them?

I want quality over quantity in this draft.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Apr 10, 2015 at 12:57 PM ]
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
...The 49ers then trade out again with the Jets to move out of the first round (32) into the second round (37) and pick up an extra 3rd round pick (70), meanwhile the Jets add Brett Hundley as long term solution at the QB poistion. Our draft haul would be as follows;

How likely is it the Jets draft a terrible QB you ask? Very.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Your looking at getting a whole lot more than the last pick in the 2nd round from the Pats. Your looking at a similar trade SF was trying to do to get OBJ last year. We would want their 1st, 2nd, 3rd at the very least...and your calling my trade unrealistic.

The Pats never trade up that high for one player let alone a NT, that will probably be there 5 to 10 picks later. When are any of these 12 players gonna play? We drafted 12 players last year and 11 before that.... What happened to all the players from the past two years, did people forget about them?

So basically I left off a 3rd rounder.

The Pats have traded up in the draft before, twice to be exact and both recently. They traded up to get Chandler Jones, and Donta' Hightower. They gave up 27 and 93 to get 21 for Jones and gave up 31 and 126 to move up to 25 and get Hightower. Them moving up to get Brown who can play both ands and tackle in a 3-4 to replace Wilkfork isn't a pipe dream at all.

As far as trade value, based on what your saying I didn't give the 49ers enough picks for the Pats to move up which makes this trade down very realistic. I did it on the logic that this draft class isn't very strong so teams would give less to trade up to the middle of the draft boards but more for the top 5 spots so they can get a guy who is a lock like Williams or Cooper.

The Pats have traded up in the draft before, twice to be exact and both recently. They traded up to get Chandler Jones, and Donta' Hightower. They gave up 27 and 93 to get 21 for Jones and gave up 31 and 126 to move up to 25 and get Hightower. Them moving up to get Brown who can play both ands and tackle in a 3-4 to replace Wilkfork isn't a pipe dream at all.

As far as trade value, based on what your saying I didn't give the 49ers enough picks for the Pats to move up which makes this trade down very realistic. I did it on the logic that this draft class isn't very strong so teams would give less to trade up to the middle of the draft boards but more for the top 5 spots so they can get a guy who is a lock like Williams or Cooper.

The trades of 27 and 93 to get 21... 31 and 126 to get 25 is only a 6 spot trade. 31 to 15 is 16 spots up. That will require the pats more than a 2nd rounder.

SF will not trade down that far for just the last pick in the 2nd round....that's horrible value for us.

If you think there is a lot of value in the middle rounds it would be great for you to place prospects in the spots you traded for, that's kinda important

And you didn't respond about where all of these players will be playing? We draft 23 in the past two years...that's almost a full active roster! lol
Originally posted by Alfienator:

The trades of 27 and 93 to get 21... 31 and 126 to get 25 is only a 6 spot trade. 31 to 15 is 16 spots up. That will require the pats more than a 2nd rounder.

That's more of the old school value chart. Most teams don't go off that anymore, but your prob right we may be able to get a 3rd or 4th as well.

That's more of the old school value chart. Most teams don't go off that anymore, but your prob right we may be able to get a 3rd or 4th as well.

It's the same value chart that is used on all the mock draft sites? I just don't see a team moving at the very least 3 draft picks for a NT. Brown is okay but he isn't Wilfork at all

It's the same value chart that is used on all the mock draft sites? I just don't see a team moving at the very least 3 draft picks for a NT. Brown is okay but he isn't Wilfork at all

That's you opinion. Another team may feel the complete opposite. I would say he is a better prospect than Vince based on the fact that he can play all the positions on the line and still plug up the middle and stop the run. Bill is known to value versatility and Brown has that for sure. I'm not saying that if the Pats were to move up this is who they would take for sure it's just an idea. What we do know is that they lost a very good DT and are prob looking to replace him through the draft.
As likely as moving up to 3 or 4 overall

Agree with what you said tho i see more value in the 2nd round than the first

1st round is always ok- good players with huge potential and expectations, but that potential is hardly ever reached.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
That's you opinion. Another team may feel the complete opposite. I would say he is a better prospect than Vince based on the fact that he can play all the positions on the line and still plug up the middle and stop the run. Bill is known to value versatility and Brown has that for sure. I'm not saying that if the Pats were to move up this is who they would take for sure it's just an idea. What we do know is that they lost a very good DT and are prob looking to replace him through the draft.

Far enough...FYI I like brown. They did draft Easley in the 1st last year as well. Phillips, Goldman, and davis should all be there at the end of the first or closer to 32, but maybe they do value him as a top 15 pick.

My pt was more on the trade..it would take a lot more to move up from 32 to 15 then the last pick in the 2nd that's all.

I'd like to see who you'd target with all those picks, I think that would help.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Apr 10, 2015 at 7:28 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone