LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 269 users in the forums

did anyone else read si.coms latest mock?

Don't forget just 2 years ago the Raiders traded down from #3 to #12 for only a 2nd round pick.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
If we trade up to #4 it better be for a receiver

Not sure if serious. There's not a single player in this entire draft that I would take over Leonard Williams for the 49ers. BRB, drafting a #2 or #3 WR for a team that is run heavy and ends up touching the football 3 or 4 times a game or drafting a monster 3-4 DE that could start for the next 10+ years.

You don't draft a WR that high to be a #2 or #3, you get a WR that high to be a #1 that can influence a defense's game plans and make other aspects of your offense easier due to the fact that WR can torch them worse than any other offensive player. He has to be respected. You don't stack the box when you need to double or triple cover a true #1 WR. Not that we know much about that since we haven't had one since 2003. It's funny how so many people just think a top WR is nothing more than an unnecessary luxury. Coincidentally, our offense has been an embarrassment since we lost our last true #1 WR 12 years ago.

If they're trading up for Amari Cooper, I'm fine with it. That doesn't mean I'm opposed to trading up for Williams, just saying it shouldn't be so appalling to think a WR is worthy of consideration.
[ Edited by Empire49 on Apr 9, 2015 at 11:24 PM ]
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
If we trade up to #4 it better be for a receiver

Not sure if serious. There's not a single player in this entire draft that I would take over Leonard Williams for the 49ers. BRB, drafting a #2 or #3 WR for a team that is run heavy and ends up touching the football 3 or 4 times a game or drafting a monster 3-4 DE that could start for the next 10+ years.

This. The price would be stiff, but having Leonard as the replacement for Cowboy would be fantastic.
Originally posted by Empire49:
You don't draft a WR that high to be a #2 or #3, you get a WR that high to be a #1 that can influence a defense's game plans and make other aspects of your offense easier due to the fact that WR can torch them worse than any other offensive player. He has to be respected. You don't stack the box when you need to double or triple cover a true #1 WR. Not that we know much about that since we haven't had one since 2003. It's funny how so many people just think a top WR is nothing more than an unnecessary luxury. Coincidentally, our offense has been an embarrassment since we lost our last true #1 WR 12 years ago.

If they're trading up for Amari Cooper, I'm fine with it. That doesn't mean I'm opposed to trading up for Williams, just saying it shouldn't be so appalling to think a WR is worthy of consideration.

Only if you think Cooper is a legit #1 WR in the NFL and I really don't think so. I think White has that potential but he's also incredibly raw. I think Williams is the best pure player in this draft and would fit a major position of need with the inevitable departure of Justin Smith.

I see this team continuing to be defensive oriented and pounding the ball on the ground on offense, that considered, a stud DE I think is a far better investment considering this team's overall identity. I don't see them being a chuck and duck "throw it 40 times a game" sort of team at anytime in the near future. They are going to go as far as the guys on both sides of the trenches get them.

I want them to get back to the sort of dominance that we saw in 2011 when both Justin Smith and Ray McDonald were playing out of their minds. They were controlling the line of scrimmage, stopping teams from running on them, their performance pretty much gave the team a shot to win every game.

"Coincidentally, our offense has been an embarrassment since we lost our last true #1 WR 12 years ago. "

Coincidentally it also happened at the same time as the 49ers had guys like Rattay, Troy Smith, and others starting at QB. Its this interesting thing about impact receivers, how many of them tend to play with pretty good QB's.........
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 10, 2015 at 12:04 AM ]
  • Kuya
  • Veteran
would love Leonard Williams as he would terrorize Russell Wilson/Nick Foles/Carson Palmer
There's a thread for this:

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/181484-mock-drafts-official-publications-broadcasters-websites/
Baalke would never make that trade. He believes in depth, not mortgaging the future on one player
He's not giving up any picks. If Baalke trades it will be back. You have holes at OLB, TE, ILB, WR, OL and possibly CB within this year and next. Now if he can trade up a spot and only give up a 3rd it's possible but beyond that no way. It would be uncharacteristic and outside of the box for Trent. Baalke thinks two years ahead that's why he covets picks he likes the depth. Sound strategy keep it up.
Originally posted by Quest4six:

This is why I usually only read Phoneix's posts in a long page of posts.

Williams is the best player in this draft and it isn't even close.
The fact he may fall to three and behind Winston and Mariota is appalling to me

The top ten if full of teams drafting on need...the best player is very seldom the number one over all unless that best player happens to be a QB.

As to our philosophy from Phoenix's post....do we really know what our philosophy is? A lot of people making very authoritative posts like they know what this staff is going to do with the team. I know it looks on the surface, given that we basically promoted the junior staff to lead spots that we will be the same philosophically, but we really don't know that is true. This draft is wide open as far as I am concerned.
Originally posted by slowriot:
There's a thread for this:

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/181484-mock-drafts-official-publications-broadcasters-websites/

this thread isn't really about mocks...it is about a specific deal that an "expert" could see us making and if we agree with it.

if there's a rumour he can do this that would be amazing (if the stuff of fantasy), Leonard WIlliams over anyone in this draft.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by BodhiPaddlesOut:
Our first, this year's second, and next years second for a dominate DE that many have at the top (or near) of their big boards?

I don't think it's that unfathomable.

That would be too good to be true.

If that ever happen - WOW!
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by BodhiPaddlesOut:
Our first, this year's second, and next years second for a dominate DE that many have at the top (or near) of their big boards?

I don't think it's that unfathomable.

That would be too good to be true.

If that ever happen - WOW!

Yeah, wow. I think he would do it if he could, I just think that the price would be too high. A 1st and two 2nd's would work for me though.
Originally posted by IHATELOWELLCOHN:
He's not giving up any picks. If Baalke trades it will be back. You have holes at OLB, TE, ILB, WR, OL and possibly CB within this year and next. Now if he can trade up a spot and only give up a 3rd it's possible but beyond that no way. It would be uncharacteristic and outside of the box for Trent. Baalke thinks two years ahead that's why he covets picks he likes the depth. Sound strategy keep it up.

Baalke has traded up in 2 of the 4 drafts in the 1st so he has traded picks to move up. Why do we need more picks? He's already drafted a ton of players the past two years, how many players do you want on the bench? talent out weighs depth IMO and you can't play everyone.

What holes are there at OLB, TE, CB and OL? If you have a chance to get the best player in the draft at a position of need then do it...those positions you say we have holes at have young players waiting for bigger roles, did everyone forget about our draft picks from the past couple years that quickly?

OLB-They have three studs in Smith,Lynch,Brooks and depth with Lemonier (plus FA that can be had after May 12th ex: Wheeler)
TE-Why are we giving up on Vance after a year in a half? VD is still on the team and could very well get resigned if he plays well, plus they resigned Carrier. (this a horrible TE draft class).
CB-Baalke drafted 4 DBs last year and brought in wright/cook who both have starter experience...I'm sure they can grab value in the later rounds like they always do.
OL-Their is ONE spot to fill at LG and Thomas,Martin,Pears,Looney have all played guard at some point.. health is the issue not talent.

Williams has JJ Watt ability and yes you sell the farm for that kind of talent. He would make the CB and OLB on our team better IMO.

I'd rather sew those "holes" shut then replace them with bandages over and over
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Apr 10, 2015 at 9:19 AM ]
lol "Leonard Davis
Share 49ersWebzone