LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 269 users in the forums

My Baalke-esque and Final Mock Plan

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Here are my assumptions:
- We factor in the PUP/IR players we drafted in 2014 as part of our 2015 draft class, namely Reaser and Acker (CBs), Thomas (OT/OG), and Millard (TE/FB).
- We drafted a breadth of positions last year. This year? Prescriptive selections based on immediate and pending needs.
- Active traders in the draft (so yes, I am going to mock trades)

Here we go.

NFL Draft -

Trade #1: Baalke trades 15th pick for KC's 18th and 118th picks in the NFL Draft. KC trades up to leapfrog WR needy teams to select Strong or DBG.

R1: Marcus Peters - CB - Washington (via KC)
*Assuming he passes the attitude and off-field background checks, Peters is a dominant corner with the right size, speed, and skills to become a pro bowl cornerback. Ward is converted to a full time safety as that's his natural position and Peters dukes it out with Brock, Johnson, Wright, and the rest for the starting spots. Rounds out our secondary good, young, and economically sound players.

Trade #2: Baalke trades 46th and 118th for WAS's 38th pick. WAS trades down to select their starting rookie ILB. Scot and Trent are pals.

R2: Carl Davis - DT/DE - Iowa (via WAS)
*One year wonder, but dominant in his wonderful year. Mentored by Justin Smith and Darnell Dockett, we could flash some 4-3 schemes and kick Carradine outside with Aldon Smith opposite at DE. Davis will be a starter by 2017.

R3: Tyler Lockett - WR/PR - Kansas St.
*Speed kills in the NFL, and Lockett has plenty. The additions of Bush and Smith mean that the 49ers want to get more vertical. Add fuel to fire.

R4: Taiwan Jones - ILB - Michigan St. (via DEN)
*Big, powerful, and skilled at wrapping up and penetrating holes to stop the run. Has been compared to the poor man's Brandon Spikes.

R4: Javorius Allen - RB - USC (comp)
*A classic "good not great" back that can thrive in a reserve and ST role in our backfield. Comes from a pro style offense.

R5: DeAndre Smelter - WR - Georgia Tech
*PUP/IR player with a strong skill set and has been compared to Anquan Boldin. Raw, but he'll be learning in the classroom and on the sidelines for the best. Could eventually replace Boldin in 2016.

R6: Rob Crisp - OT - NC St.
*Good size but needs to improve technique and power to succeed at the NFL. Could end up as our swing tackle.

R7: Frank Clark - DE/LB - Michigan (via IND)
*This is a dangerous pick because Clark has significant off-field issues, but has 2nd-3rd round talent. We do our homework and figure we can give him the same chance we've given Aldon Smith and Aaron Lynch.

R7: James Castleman - NT/DT - Oklahoma St. (comp)
*Project player that provides security for Dorsey and Williams at NT and potentially added to our PS.

Depth Chart -

QB: Kaepernick/Gabbert
RB: Hyde/Bush*/Hunter/Allen*
FB: Miller
TE: Davis/McDonald/Carrier

WR: Boldin/Simpson*
WR: Smith*/Patton
WR: Lockett*/Ellington PUP: Smelter*

LT: Staley/Crisp*
LG: Pears*/Thomas*
C: Kilgore/Martin
RG: Boone/Looney
RT: Davis

LE: Carradine/Dial
NT: Dorsey/Williams
RE: Dockett*/Davis*

OLB: Smith/Clark*
ILB: Bowman/Bishop/Bellore*
ILB: Wilhoite/Jones*
OLB: Brooks/Lynch

CB: Brock/Wright*/Acker*
CB: Peters*/Johnson/Reaser*
FS: Reid/Ward
SS: Bethea/Dahl

ST: Dawson, Lee, Nelson
  • bors
  • Veteran
if not Taiwan jones. Then what other ilb do you like.In this trade scenario do you have Washington going after Perryman from miami
  • bors
  • Veteran
So how bad is Taiwan jones especially in coverage. All I hear Is that he can't cover blah blah. Is he really that bad?
  • crew
  • Veteran
Like your draft and the trade down with KC. Like the Davis, Allen, Smelter and Clark picks. Not sold on Lockett, would want some size with Smith & Ellington already at WR - thinking more like Dezmin Lewis or Chris Conley at that point. As an alternative to Jones in the 4th would be Jake Ryan, Michigan.
With all the good RBs available, I hope we do better than that.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
draft is solid but pears will not start over martin... no way
Solid draft
If Ward gets moved to safety, which role will he play with Reid and Bethea starting?
Originally posted by MeddlingKids:
If Ward gets moved to safety, which role will he play with Reid and Bethea starting?

This! I don't see Ward moving permanently to take the First round pick of 2 years ago who has played well and the FA we gave a decent contract to last year. I can see him as a back up but thinking he will stay in the Slot.

I do like the Draft however. Just not the moving Ward to Safety
I'll say this... I don't mind the mock and I do think Baalke will be good for a few "wheel and deal" trades. However, I believe if Danny Shelton is available at pick 15... Baalke will take him. He likes to build the defense from the middle. Is he an upgrade at NT over Dorsey & Williams? I have to believe so. Yes, Dorsey & Williams are good against the run but this Shelton guy can't be moved and he is so disruptive.

I have a feeling Baalke was at Washington's Pro Day to take a look at Danny Shelton (not Marcus Peters). Call me crazy but I have a hunch.

Round 1. Danny Shelton
Round 2. WR (Devin Smith or does Jaelen Strong slide to the 2nd?) This is where I could see a trade up to get Strong.
Round 3. ILB
Round 4. ILB or TE
Round 4. DE/DT
Round 5. DB
Round 6. Safety/QB
Round 7. Safety/QB
Round 7. DB

Originally posted by amosmac28:
I'll say this... I don't mind the mock and I do think Baalke will be good for a few "wheel and deal" trades. However, I believe if Danny Shelton is available at pick 15... Baalke will take him. He likes to build the defense from the middle. Is he an upgrade at NT over Dorsey & Williams? I have to believe so. Yes, Dorsey & Williams are good against the run but this Shelton guy can't be moved and he is so disruptive.

I have a feeling Baalke was at Washington's Pro Day to take a look at Danny Shelton (not Marcus Peters). Call me crazy but I have a hunch.

Round 1. Danny Shelton
Round 2. WR (Devin Smith or does Jaelen Strong slide to the 2nd?) This is where I could see a trade up to get Strong.
Round 3. ILB
Round 4. ILB or TE
Round 4. DE/DT
Round 5. DB
Round 6. Safety/QB
Round 7. Safety/QB
Round 7. DB

I like Shelton but he isn't making it to 15 and I doubt he makes it past the Browns. I'm not sure what you mean by build the defense from the middle? Minus Tank he hasn't drafted a DT early since being the GM.

I would be happy with Shelton no doubt and we aren't sure what Mangini will do (does like big NT). SF dose have Peters coming in for a visit so not sure if it was just a smokescreen
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by stonecold590:
Originally posted by MeddlingKids:

This! I don't see Ward moving permanently to take the First round pick of 2 years ago who has played well and the FA we gave a decent contract to last year. I can see him as a back up but thinking he will stay in the Slot.

I do like the Draft however. Just not the moving Ward to Safety

I think he'll still see the field regardless if it's at CB or S. One thing to note is that with the loss of Borland and Willis, we may need to change up our 4-2-5 scheme a bit. I could see a formation like below:

4: A. Smith-Dockett-Carradine-Brooks | Best group for a balance of pass rush and run block

2: Bowman-Bethea | One of them will play zone or blitz, the other will cover the TE threat.

5: Brock-Reid-Ward-Johnson-Peters | You got 3 first rounders in this unit. There's talent here.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I like Shelton but he isn't making it to 15 and I doubt he makes it past the Browns. I'm not sure what you mean by build the defense from the middle? Minus Tank he hasn't drafted a DT early since being the GM.

I would be happy with Shelton no doubt and we aren't sure what Mangini will do (does like big NT). SF dose have Peters coming in for a visit so not sure if it was just a smokescreen

What I meant by that is that he likes to be strong up the middle; not necessarily just the NT. Drafting a defensive linemen in early rounds wasn't necessarily what I was referring to. Sorry, I should have elaborated. What I meant by that is the Safety & Middle linebacker positions. No, he didn't draft Patrick Willis but he did draft Bowman & Chris Borland in the 3rd round. He also jumped up from pick 31 to move to 18 and select Eric Reid. (That's not Baalke's style to give up that much) but he likes to be strong up the middle. One of his first moves in FA last year was signing Bethea. I think he has a lot of confidence in Dorsey & Williams but Williams is coming off yet another leg injury and Dorsey is on the wrong side of 30 (soon to be).

I actually think Shelton may fall to 15... if he can get by the Browns. I think most of the teams in the top 15 are enamored by all the pass rushers... Beasley, Gregory, Fowler Jr., and Shane Ray. Bud Dupree could slip in to the top 15 also. With Mariota, Winston, Cooper, Kevin White, Leonard Williams, Scherff, D. Parker, and Waynes all expected to go in top the 15 and you add these 4 or 5 pass rushers expected to go in the top 15 then it's possible (POSSIBLE) that Shelton falls to us. We're talking about 13 or 14 players that will definitely fall in the top 15. I think the other team to look out for is the Bears although I think they will go WR because they are stupid. I would be happier with Shelton over Armstead because it solidifies one position and allows us to move Dorsey out to end. I wouldn't be disgusted picking Marcus Peters @ 15 or trade back a few and take him or Armstead if they make it.
If we do take Armstead, that may tell us a bit more about how Baalke & Co. feels about Tank. Maybe not though... we do have to replace Ray Mac also though.

We do have Dockett thank god.
I like the Peters pick...agree, he'd bring not only ball skills, but an attitude to our secondary. But, he wouldn't be my first pick...that'd be Eddie Goldman, an absolute beastly DL. He's not only huge, extremely strong, but has surprising quickness. Unlike Davis, Eddie takes no plays off and has a terrific work ethic. He could start right away, too...because he played not only DT at FSU, but DE, too. He's too awesome to pass up. He's a guy who can tie up two OL on virtually every snap...and wear them down. I don't see Davis doing that.

I get Lockett has the speed...but other than Boldin, all our WR's have it, or something close to it. I'd rather see Baalke draft a WR with size...Crabtree's gone and Boldin may well be in 2016, too. Hunter's back now...and will be one of our KR's, too.

Taiwan Jones and RB Allen are fine picks.

I don't see a TE...with Vernon likely in his last year as a Niner and very little TE receiving talent (save maybe Carrier) behind him, I think Baalke has to draft at least one. Would love to see him pick Clive Walford, one of the top playmaking TE's in this draft.
Share 49ersWebzone