LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 241 users in the forums

DL - who to draft??

Originally posted by All22:
According to the zone our Dline is awesome. A projected top 10 pick would warm the bench on our team lol

Not only the zone, the head coach feels that way too, who just so happens to know the dline and their talents better than anyone. If J.Smith comes back and Williams and Dorsey are healthy, which rookie that we can draft at #15 would start over: Justin Smith, Dockett, Williams, Dorsey, Dial and Tank? I'm not being a smart ass btw, I'm just curious who you guys think can unseat the guys we have, and I do think we have greater needs to use that first pick with or I a should say who would have more impact than a dlineman
Originally posted by 49ers808:
According to the zone our Dline is awesome. A projected top 10 pick would warm the bench on our team lol

Not only the zone, the head coach feels that way too, who just so happens to know the dline and their talents better than anyone. If J.Smith comes back and Williams and Dorsey are healthy, which rookie that we can draft at #15 would start over: Justin Smith, Dockett, Williams, Dorsey, Dial and Tank? I'm not being a smart ass btw, I'm just curious who you guys think can unseat the guys we have, and I do think we have greater needs to use that first pick with or I a should say who would have more impact than a dlineman

Danny Shelton if he is there at 15 would start over Ian and Dorsey IMO, and Dial and Tank are average at best right now, any DE at 15 should start over them.

Guess u never heard of having rotation maybe tha cowboy wouldn't be think about retieing if Fangio didnt ride him into tha ground tha past few yrs ...An before yall get all pissy because I'm talkin about Fangio ive seen alots on here say tha same sh*t about him ...Maybe now tha younger guys can get a better shot at starting...We cant keep ignoring our D-line and counting on them to keep us in games if all we do is pick late round and UDFA players
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Guess u never heard of having rotation maybe tha cowboy wouldn't be think about retieing if Fangio didnt ride him into tha ground tha past few yrs ...An before yall get all pissy because I'm talkin about Fangio ive seen alots on here say tha same sh*t about him ...Maybe now tha younger guys can get a better shot at starting...We cant keep ignoring our D-line and counting on them to keep us in games if all we do is pick late round and UDFA players

JT has been the best DL coach in the NFL for years now. We've been a top five rushing unit since forever so I think we've done well developing the talent we've acquired. I trust our coaches defensively as well as the FO. Right now we can go a number of ways April 30
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Apr 9, 2015 at 3:27 AM ]
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

JT has been the best DL coach in the NFL for years now. We've been a top five rushing unit since forever so I think we've done well developing the talent we've acquired. I trust our coaches defensively as well as the FO. Right now we can go a number of ways April 30

Yes we have had top defense's but that was with Willis a healthy Bowmen a younger cowboy ...we have no Willis we're unsure what Bowmen will look like and nobody knows what tha cowboy is doing....I cant believe after 2 3rd picks last yr on O-Line and getting our speed WR in T.Smith no one on here cant clearly see how much our defense and D-line needs helps. . If only we got Tuitt in last yrs draft ....
I'd go Carl Davis. He offers the versatility and prototypical size that Baalke usually seeks. He can start immediately in place of Ray McDonald and shift over to nose if those positions continue to be injury prone. Carl Davis and Tank Carradine as bookends would blossom into something fierce under Tomsula's guidance.

Yes we have had top defense's but that was with Willis a healthy Bowmen a younger cowboy ...we have no Willis we're unsure what Bowmen will look like and nobody knows what tha cowboy is doing....I cant believe after 2 3rd picks last yr on O-Line and getting our speed WR in T.Smith no one on here cant clearly see how much our defense and D-line needs helps. . If only we got Tuitt in last yrs draft ....
The defense played fine. I believe it was 5th. It didn't have Bowman, and Willis for only the early season. Meanwhile, the offense with Gore, Crabtree, Lloyd, and S. Johnson blew chunks.

Williams is coming off his second season ending injury in two seasons and this is the final season on his deal.

Dorsey is coming off a season ending injury and also has an expiring contract.

Carradine is talented but unproven.

Dial likewise.

TJE is nice depth but nothing to write home about.

Dockett is 34 and coming off an ACL tear.

Justin Smith is 35 and has one year left at best.

Defensive linemen take time to develop. Its silly to say that a rookie couldnt come in and have an impact considering the 49ers were relegated to playing a nose tackle off of the practice squad.

"Gosh, I hate that we have all this DL depth, we simply have too many talented guys up front"-said no GM ever.

Tomsula has been a very good DL coach, but now he is a head coach and that entails a completely different set of responsibilities. Not sure why people are acting like he's going to be available to give guys the same amount of attention and 1 on 1 coaching as before.

Hopefully Brown does a good job coaching but I wouldnt count on Tomsula to be able to coach up guys the same as he did. He simply has a full plate and way too many other things to handle.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Williams is coming off his second season ending injury in two seasons and this is the final season on his deal.

Dorsey is coming off a season ending injury and also has an expiring contract.

Carradine is talented but unproven.

Dial likewise.

TJE is nice depth but nothing to write home about.

Dockett is 34 and coming off an ACL tear.

Justin Smith is 35 and has one year left at best.

Defensive linemen take time to develop. Its silly to say that a rookie couldnt come in and have an impact considering the 49ers were relegated to playing a nose tackle off of the practice squad.

"Gosh, I hate that we have all this DL depth, we simply have too many talented guys up front"-said no GM ever.

I agree we need some DL help, I just don't know if there will be a DL worth the 15th pick...I don't see Arik,Goldman, or Brown worth a top 15 pick.

I'd love Shelton and if he is near our pick I wouldn't mind a jump up. There are some really good players in the 2nd-4th round that could help too....I just don't want to reach with our 1st round pick.

I would also like to see what Dial &Tank can do in bigger roles (rookies are unproven as well). Williams was killing it before he got injured same with Dorsey (but yes they are injury-prone for sure)...Hopefully Baalke grabs some depth because he hasn't really done it in past drafts.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Apr 10, 2015 at 8:43 AM ]

None

I want the best player in this draft to slide to 15 Leonard Williams...

#nevergonnahappen
Just praying we don't select Armstead with #15! Please god no....
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I agree we need some DL help, I just don't know if there will be a DL worth the 15th pick...I don't see Arik,Goldman, or Brown worth a top 15 pick.

I'd love Shelton and if he is near our pick I wouldn't mind a jump up. There are some really good players in the 2nd-4th round that could help too....I just don't want to reach with our 1st round pick.

I would also like to see what Dial &Tank can do in bigger roles (rookies are unproven as well). Williams was killing it before he got injured same with Dorsey (but yes they are injury-prone for sure)...Hopefully Baalke grabs some depth because he hasn't really done it in past drafts
Wow, you really summed things up. I agree with everything you said especially the part about rookies being unproven too.
Originally posted by tyler9er71:
Wow, you really summed things up. I agree with everything you said especially the part about rookies being unproven too.

This.

If the Niners can trade down & still get Eddie Goldman, that could possibly make them have the 2nd-best draft of anyone in the NFL (the best being whoever drafts Leonard Williams).
Share 49ersWebzone