LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 309 users in the forums

Daragon's 2015 Mock Draft (April)

The draft is almost here and offseason programs on underway. Here is an update to my mock draft for the month of April. Most of you know I'm a big fan of taking a top end WR in the 1st, so this mock may surprise you.

49ers FA's Re-Signed:
  • DL Tony Jerod-Eddie (ERFA) - SIGNED
  • ILB Michael Wilhoite (ERFA) - SIGNED
  • LS Kyle Nelson (RFA) - SIGNED
  • CB Chris Cook (UFA) - SIGNED
  • TE Garrett Celek (RFA) - SIGNED
  • ILB Desmond Bishop (UFA) - SIGNED
  • QB Blaine Gabbert (UFA) - SIGNED

49ers FA's Leaving:
  • OLB Dan Skuta (UFA) - JAGUARS
  • QB Josh Johnson (UFA) - BENGALS
  • RB Frank Gore (UFA) - COLTS
  • RB Alonso Smith (UFA)
  • RB Phillip Tanner (UFA)
  • WR Michael Crabtree (UFA)
  • WR Brandon Lloyd (UFA)
  • WR Kassim Osgood (UFA)
  • OG Mike Iupati (UFA) - CARDINALS
  • CB Chris Culliver (UFA) - REDSKINS
  • CB Perrish Cox (UFA) - TITANS
  • S Bubba Ventrone (UFA) - PATRIOTS COACH

49ers Players Restructured:
  • OLB Aldon Smith

49ers Players Released:
  • WR Stevie Johnson - CHARGERS

49ers Players Retiring:
  • MLB Patrick Willis
  • MLB Chris Borland

NFL FA's Acquired:
  • DT Darnell Dockett
  • WR Torrey Smith
  • WR Jerome Simpson
  • RB Jarryd Hayne
  • RB Reggie Bush

49ers 2015 NFL Draft:
  • 1. DE Randy Gregory - Finished ninth on his school's all-time sack list after playing just two seasons. As a junior in 2014, Gregory was second-team All-American and first-team Big Ten. He falls into the 49ers' lap due to his own stupidity. Now the 49ers have one of the scariest pass rushes in the league.
  • 2. ILB Stephone Anthony - This hard-hitting LB will do well next to Bowman. He is no Willis, but he will do a good job filling the void left behind.
  • 3. WR Tyler Lockett - One of, if not the best route runner in the draft. This kid made many of the best CB in college look silly. We missed out on the big name WRs, but Lockett can get separation and do wonders for Kaepernick. This may push Patton off the team.
  • 4. DE Henry Anderson - This guy can develop into a monster under Tomsula. This is one of my favorite picks.
  • 4. CB Kevin White (COMP PICK)
  • 5. TE Nick O'Leary
  • 6. OG Jeremiah Poutasi
  • 7. OLB Derrick Malone Jr.
  • 7. OT Terry Poole (COMP PICK)
I am not sure what we'd do with Gregory in the long run. He'd be good in a speed rush nickle package (Lynch/Tank/Aldon/Gregory ), but I don't see him starting at OLB until he puts on weight (which could take YEARS), and even then he might never overtake Lynch or Smith. I'd be disappointed if we went there, unless Baalke is pretty sure Aldon won't be here long term.

I also really like Henry Anderson, but I would be completely stunned if he's still there at the end of the 4th.

I like Anthony's potential down the road, and Lockette is a stud.

Thanks, man!
Good write up!

I'd be confused if we drafted Gregory, you'd think they be looking for someone at 15 to contribute more than he would year 1. I agree with Wrath love Anderson, but don't think he will be there in the 4th.

I'm a fan of Lockett and if we don't go WR early I'd love him in the slot. LOB killer

Not really a fan of White, He has the body to play slot but isn't really quick enough and I think he is too small to play outside. That's just my opinion so who knows.

I'm a Noles fan so I like the O'leary pick... he catches everything but isn't much of a athlete like TEs are supposed to be now.

Like everything else good work!
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Apr 8, 2015 at 10:45 AM ]
Wilhoite hasn't signed his tender offer. Aldon's not restructuring his contract...he's got some incentives he'll need to meet to get all his 2015 salary. You left OL Pears, CB Shareece Wright & LB/ST Nick Bellore off the players acquired list.

Overall, I like your mock...just a couple of things:

- Gregory could be quite a player. But, I think it's more important to draft a beast DL before acquiring more pass rushers. Our OLB's will only be effective if our front 3 (on basic downs) ties up enough OL to give them opportunities to make plays. Even if Justin Smith doesn't retire now, he'll likely get his fewest snaps since he became a Niner. Eddie Goldman's the answer...the man is a beast. He played both DT and DE at FSU, and Coach Jumbo Fisher said he was his best DL. He's a guy who can tie up a couple of OL on virtually every snap. He can also line up in the hybrid...think about Carradine, Goldman, Dockett/Dorsey and Aldon. That's quite a line.

- Love the Anthony pick. I think he does more things well than any other ILB, including covering receivers. Because of that, he can be more productive sooner than other prospects, IMHO. Another option: TE Clive Walford. Vernon's in his contract season and there's not much in receiving talent behind him (save perhaps Carrier). Walford's one of the top TE playmakers in this draft.

- Don't think Lockett's the WR we need...because with Crabtree gone and Boldin in his contract season, we need size at the WR position. Baalke got the speed guys in Torrey Smith and Jerome Simpson...and I see both Ellington and Patton playing more significant roles, too. This is a deep WR draft...so Baalke can grab a WR with size in the 3rd rd or so...Mayle, McBride or even Waller. All have excellent size and are good playmakers.

- DE Anderson could well be gone by the end of 2nd rd/early 3rd rd. If Baalke takes Goldman early, it's wide open who he'd take in 4th rd. Could be RB, like David Johnson, for example. Or ILB, if Baalke drafts Walford in 2nd rd.

- The rest seem ok...Poutasi would likely be an OG with Niners, which is fine so long as Baalke also drafts a decent OT. Gotta keep both lines big, strong and versatile.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Wilhoite hasn't signed his tender offer. Aldon's not restructuring his contract...he's got some incentives he'll need to meet to get all his 2015 salary. You left OL Pears, CB Shareece Wright & LB/ST Nick Bellore off the players acquired list.

- Gregory could be quite a player. But, I think it's more important to draft a beast DL before acquiring more pass rushers. Our OLB's will only be effective if our front 3 (on basic downs) ties up enough OL to give them opportunities to make plays. Even if Justin Smith doesn't retire now, he'll likely get his fewest snaps since he became a Niner. Eddie Goldman's the answer...the man is a beast. He played both DT and DE at FSU, and Coach Jumbo Fisher said he was his best DL. He's a guy who can tie up a couple of OL on virtually every snap. He can also line up in the hybrid...think about Carradine, Goldman, Dockett/Dorsey and Aldon. That's quite a line.

- Love the Anthony pick. I think he does more things well than any other ILB, including covering receivers. Because of that, he can be more productive sooner than other prospects, IMHO. Another option: TE Clive Walford. Vernon's in his contract season and there's not much in receiving talent behind him (save perhaps Carrier). Walford's one of the top TE playmakers in this draft.

- Don't think Lockett's the WR we need...because with Crabtree gone and Boldin in his contract season, we need size at the WR position. Baalke got the speed guys in Torrey Smith and Jerome Simpson...and I see both Ellington and Patton playing more significant roles, too. This is a deep WR draft...so Baalke can grab a WR with size in the 3rd rd or so...Mayle, McBride or even Waller. All have excellent size and are good playmakers.

- DE Anderson could well be gone by the end of 2nd rd/early 3rd rd. If Baalke takes Goldman early, it's wide open who he'd take in 4th rd. Could be RB, like David Johnson, for example. Or ILB, if Baalke drafts Walford in 2nd rd.

- The rest seem ok...Poutasi would likely be an OG with Niners, which is fine so long as Baalke also drafts a decent OT. Gotta keep both lines big, strong and versatile.

I like Lockett, but for size, I'd go Lewis, Conley or Smelter
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:

Goldman's my draft crush this year and I think he's going to be super.

also think Anderson will be gone, probably early 3rd. BUT I'd love it is we could get him.

Still, all-in-all a pretty good mock!
Share 49ersWebzone