LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 388 users in the forums

We need Carl Davis

I'm a big fan of this guys potential and believe that with the right coaching he could compliment every player on our D similar to what Cowboy brings to the table. Now I know that's pretty high praise but I love how he drives O-linemen backwards, takes on double teams and straight up owns the line of scrimmage. I'm not saying we have to use the 15th pick on him but I don't think he'll be there at 46, so what do you guys think?
I'll trust what you say since I've hardly heard of the guy
I've watched some highlight videos and read some analysis of his play. The consensus is favorable. The only negative was his motor and passion for the game.
Originally posted by MikeRumph:
I'll trust what you say since I've hardly heard of the guy

I'm not saying I'm an expert but I do like the guys skill set and loved the way he dominated the whole senior bowl week/combine. We've lost P-52, Ray Mac 2 suretackling corners and possibly Cowboy; I just think he would compliment everybody in our front 7 and is our best bet to continue to have a good run defense.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
I've watched some highlight videos and read some analysis of his play. The consensus is favorable. The only negative was his motor and passion for the game.

If this is true....

DO
NOT
WANT

...if it's true.
  • crew
  • Veteran
Originally posted by socal9er42:

If this is true....

DO
NOT
WANT

...if it's true.

It's been well documented that he took plays off during games. Cowboy's best replacement in this draft is Henry Anderson DE Stanford.
  • mr_P
Can't really say he's similar to Cowboy when Cowboy's greatest strength,his relentless motor, is Carl Davis' weakness.
[ Edited by mr_P on Apr 5, 2015 at 1:27 PM ]
Originally posted by crew:
It's been well documented that he took plays off during games. Cowboy's best replacement in this draft is Henry Anderson DE Stanford.

If his playing career mirrored his work at the senior bowl/combine it could be argued that he would be giving Leonard Williams a run for his $. He has the traits TB looks for with long arms big hands combined with great strength to take on double teams and dominate the LOS. I think Tomsula can keep this guy motivated.
I like H Anderson, but don't think he will ever be close to the kind of player Cowboy is/was.
Originally posted by mr_P:
Can't really say he's similar to Cowboy when Cowboy's greatest strength,his relentless motor, is Carl Davis' weakness.

Cowboys greatest strength is his strength. His ability to drive blockers backwards towards the ball carrier is what I'll always remember him for with his relentlessness being a close second IMO. Davis also has great potential to bring the other teams blockers with him towards the ball carrier which I think would compliment gap shooters like Tank, Dockett and our edge rushers.

Originally posted by socal9er42:

If this is true....

DO
NOT
WANT

...if it's true.

Yeah, we don't need another player to retire after his rookie year.
I like Karl Davis DT/DE. Good size good ability. I wouldn't mind him one bit late 1st or 2nd.
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Yeah, we don't need another player to retire after his rookie year.

I made this thread based upon my opinion of his potential to dominate his part of the LOS. I don't know the guy, but neither do you.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
I like Karl Davis DT/DE. Good size good ability. I wouldn't mind him one bit late 1st or 2nd.

At this point it seems like #15 might be to rich for Davis, but the draft never pans out the way I expect it to.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Thread

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/181161-carl-davis-dl-iowa/
Share 49ersWebzone