LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 314 users in the forums

Offensive Line draft priority???

How big of a priority is drafting oline???

If their bookends stay healthy this year, they shoukd be good. Theoretically, Boone could slide over and fill in for OT.

With all of the depth at OG and center, they should be able to cover down with what they have.

However, Baalke has shown that he drafts for next years needs.

Where do the Niners target oline, and who do they realistically target?
I disagree with the statement that we have depth at OG

We've got 2 rookies, 1 a year removed from football never playing an NFL snap, and the other getting over a knee injury while only playing 6-8 games

I think O-line is an immediate need, especially if we are committed to the run game. Wouldn't be surprised if pick 15 or 47 are an offensive lineman
[ Edited by Quest4six on Apr 4, 2015 at 3:57 PM ]
  • All22
  • Veteran
Cedric Ogbuehi - ALL-ACL team. In the 3rd round he would be a good value.
This is actually a pretty good OL draft. Much better than DL IMO. Wouldn't mind drafting an OL high at all. Especially if the guy from Iowa drops to 15. I don't care that it's not a huge need; the value would be too good to pass up IMO.
If Fisher drops to the Niners 2nd, I actually like his value.
Originally posted by Quest4six:
I disagree with the statement that we have depth at OG

We've got 2 rookies, 1 a year removed from football never playing an NFL snap, and the other getting over a knee injury while only playing 6-8 games

I think O-line is an immediate need, especially if we are committed to the run game. Wouldn't be surprised if pick 15 or 47 are an offensive lineman

OC
Kilgore
Martin
Farrell

OG
Boone
Thomas
Looney
Tiller (?)

OT
Staley
Davis
Pears
Fonoti

I can see your point. I think they could hold it down, but need some depth and competition.
[ Edited by Butter on Apr 4, 2015 at 7:34 PM ]
All i can think of is Dallas' oline just dominant.

Olinemen who can pass block are the most premium and sought after positions. I can see their market value raising with the scarcity of the best blockers availability.

With the pick of oline being boring and dull-especially early in the draft- i for one would be ecstatic if we picked a stud this year.

I really believe if we do need a new body to start on the line this year, then Baalke wont wait until the third round to make any moves. Either way he goes-up or down with trades- if he goes early and targets oline early, it will tell us what he thinks about the current guys on the roster.

Andreas Peat or Humphries is who i would love because i just want to run over Seattle like Dallas did last year
  • mr_P
IMO O-line isn't a priority early.

Both Marcus Martin(C/G) and Brandon Thomas(G) were some of the better prospects at their respective position. We invested draft picks on these players, and we have to give them a chance to play.
[ Edited by mr_P on Apr 4, 2015 at 5:43 PM ]
We have to live or die by picks we made in past two years. We have to trust Martin and Thomas, unless there are medical issues. If we can field a settled o-line it will remove a lot of issues. Saying that they haven't played much, then solving that by signing another rookie sounds like increasing the problem.

Fair if we sign a developmental or injured guy later, but not a priority in my opinion either.

Not if a genuine #1 WR, #1 CB, ILB, backup QB, backup RB, TE, etc were available. I have my doubts over drafting CB too, depending on the status of those we drafted last year. But if we are convinced one is elite we should grab them.
I have faith in Baalke when draft time comes, he's impossible to read, and I guess that's one of his strong points. Unless they trade up and make a splash my guess is trading down. However, I could see him trading up a few places to get one of the top O-Linemen on the board.

Originally posted by mr_P:
IMO O-line isn't a priority early.

Both Marcus Martin(C/G) and Brandon Thomas(G) were some of the better prospects at their respective position. We invested draft picks on these players, and we have to give them a chance to play.

We'll still pick OL to add depth but I agree we addressed a lot of it last year
I think they need OT depth after the Martin experiment failed. I dont want to put all the eggs in the FA they signed.
Drafting Tyrus Thompson in the 4th with our comp pick would be solid i believe. Move him in at guard. Could be a starter in 2016 if/when Boone leaves. Could be a solid LG with Brandon Thomas playing RG in 2016
Originally posted by All22:
Cedric Ogbuehi - ALL-ACL team. In the 3rd round he would be a good value.

Agree, potential starting guard and swing tackle
I like Ali Marpet or Laken Tomlinson 2nd Round.
Share 49ersWebzone