There are 218 users in the forums

MadDog49er Seven Round Projection April 1 2015 and Notes

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I'm personally a big fan of Geathers. NFL Bloodlines and reminds me a lot of Kam Chancellor. Would love to see the team snag him in the 4th or 5th to groom behind Bethea.

Of course, great work as usual, MD. I'm only halfway done -- I'm strapped for time due to wedding planning and such -- but I will look to release mine within a week or so.

By the way, 100% agree on Scherff. Watching his games I was completely underwhelmed with him at OT. Needs to move inside for sure. Also agree on Perriman.

Wedding? Get your priorities straight!

Cheers, my friend, and good luck- MD
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Hey MadDog,

I looked through your notes. Good to here about Carl Davis. He is a guy I keep looking going back to. What are your thoughts about Davis vs. Goldman vs. Brown. I here this debate a lot.

Also do you think Scherreff will still go in the top 10? 15? with the understanding he is a guard?

And lastly, I couldn't find anything in your other notes about Cameron Erving. He just had his pro day yesterday. and I see you still have him at 30. Any insights you have on him. I know his sample size is small for how much he played center.

Thanks. I always look forward to your notes.

And ignore the Aprils Fools Webzone Seahawks crap below

Let's start with Erving. He's number 10 on my best board. I think he has potential Pro Bowler all over him at center, and is also terrific across the line. Plug and play starter.

I think Scherff will go top 12. Too many teams kicking themselves they didn't pick Zach Martin last year.

Brown is going to be best as a 43 undertackle. Solid, reliable player. Goldman is a toilet clogger. Immovable force that will gobble up blockers. Kind of like Wilfork. Davis is so big, and long, and boxy. Just a handle for guards. Camps in the backfield.

All three guys have good football instincts. The track the ball well, which is something I really evaluate as critical for DL (something that some players like Gregory and Bud Dupree lack)
I would love for us to draft Martrell Spaight and/or Trey Flowers. Just once I would like to have one of my Razorbacks play for the Niners. Plus, I think both would be great for the team.
Originally posted by ethan05:
I would love for us to draft Martrell Spaight and/or Trey Flowers. Just once I would like to have one of my Razorbacks play for the Niners. Plus, I think both would be great for the team.

Not sure if you have read some of my previous posts, but I think the world of these two prospects. Just two very good football players. Don't have the natural explosiveness of some of the other more highly touted players, but when you watch them, they make play after play after play. Great feel for the game. Both undervalued. I have both as late-second/early third round value, but they should go at least a round or more later in the draft.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
do your thang maddog
Originally posted by susweel:
do your thang maddog

Always. Dog in season.
would you mind to name us 5 FOOTBALL players who you really love based on their instincts besides Carl Davis?
I know I know, you have already named a lot of them for several times but my memory is damaged and, on top of that, i am very lazy.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
we better not take a WR

#TheNewLions
I know Winston will probably go high but he wouldn't even be on my board.

I'd have mariota first, and wouldn't be surprised at all if he did go first, regardless of the love showed for Winston.
Originally posted by SoCold:
we better not take a WR

#TheNewLions

??? We've made some mistakes at WR, but now we just should stop drafting them? Would hate to end up with Megatron. :) We need someone to replace Boldin in a year or so. I don't think we have the replacement on the books yet.

I do think we can go any of a few ways, but do think we can go WR, CB, ILB, OLB, DE, OG, RB, TE, QB in some order over the 7 rounds, but should just start with whoever the team ranks as BPA, barring a good trade offer. (I think we have the numbers to avoid picking OG, DE or CB IF we believe in some of our untested guys too, but fully understand if we do pick at those positions.)

Elsewhere, I love MadDog's work, but struggle to see DGB dropping to 2nd round, despite the concerns. I know he and others may not be a fan, but teams will risk his upside, even in a WR class that has many potential contributors.

Originally posted by communist:
would you mind to name us 5 FOOTBALL players who you really love based on their instincts besides Carl Davis?
I know I know, you have already named a lot of them for several times but my memory is damaged and, on top of that, i am very lazy.

Ty Lockett
Grady Jarrett
Paul Dawson
Eric Kendricks
Trey Flowers
Originally posted by mrwoodz:
??? We've made some mistakes at WR, but now we just should stop drafting them? Would hate to end up with Megatron. :) We need someone to replace Boldin in a year or so. I don't think we have the replacement on the books yet.

I do think we can go any of a few ways, but do think we can go WR, CB, ILB, OLB, DE, OG, RB, TE, QB in some order over the 7 rounds, but should just start with whoever the team ranks as BPA, barring a good trade offer. (I think we have the numbers to avoid picking OG, DE or CB IF we believe in some of our untested guys too, but fully understand if we do pick at those positions.)

Elsewhere, I love MadDog's work, but struggle to see DGB dropping to 2nd round, despite the concerns. I know he and others may not be a fan, but teams will risk his upside, even in a WR class that has many potential contributors.

DGB is an intriguing prospect. I think the combination of no football last year, plus the off the field issues push him into the second. Domestic abuse is a hot topic in the NFL, and selecting a player with that history is a hard sell for fans. That being said, it only takes one team to select a player, even if the rest have them off their board in the first round.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by mrwoodz:
we better not take a WR

#TheNewLions

I meant with the 1st pick. WR is one of the hardest positions to transition from college to pros. On avg. it takes guys 3 years to really produce in the NFL.
Trent tried to find our starting WR in 2012 with AJ Jenkins and failed, hard. The 3rd round pick the 49ers traded to the Colts in that draft became TY Hilton.

To be fair only 11 players from the first 5 rounds of that draft have been a pro bowl player. AJ was like the 6th rated WR in that draft. It didn't make sense then and it really hurts the team now.

Players drafted 3 years ago are the ones who should really be producing for your team now. The 49ers only player left from that draft is a back up offensive lineman.
I meant with the 1st pick. WR is one of the hardest positions to transition from college to pros. On avg. it takes guys 3 years to really produce in the NFL.
Trent tried to find our starting WR in 2012 with AJ Jenkins and failed, hard. The 3rd round pick the 49ers traded to the Colts in that draft became TY Hilton.

To be fair only 11 players from the first 5 rounds of that draft have been a pro bowl player. AJ was like the 6th rated WR in that draft. It didn't make sense then and it really hurts the team now.

Players drafted 3 years ago are the ones who should really be producing for your team now. The 49ers only player left from that draft is a back up offensive lineman.

Every draft is different, and good players can slide to your spot on the board. It is evolution, and what makes it fun to follow. WRs are tough to measure. You are more likely to hit on an OL in the first, but even that is not guaranteed
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

Every draft is different, and good players can slide to your spot on the board. It is evolution, and what makes it fun to follow. WRs are tough to measure. You are more likely to hit on an OL in the first, but even that is not guaranteed

exactly why I feel it's a bad idea to take a wr that high.

If I were GM I would try and trade back gain a pick, take a CB late first/early second. I like Kevin Johnson because he's not the flashy supposed #1 with lots of hype, just a hard working dude who's never missed a game because of injury. I think he could be a good corner int the league for a long time.

Just curious what do you do? How do you find the time to watch so many games?
Share 49ersWebzone