Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
What exactly are you basing Collins lack of strength on ?

Game film, and the fact he did only 21 reps at combine. That's weak.

Anthony Davis did 21 reps at te combine. Unless a player is lying on his back and trying to get someone off of him, it is not a good indicator of football strength.

LSU coaching staff credited him with 222.5 knockdown blocks in his 45-game career

Thanks, nice stat. Will have to agree to disagree with the OP despite that number, dunno what he is seeing on film.

Wouldn't rely on Collins stats from his own university.

But if you like stats, Erik Flowers has longer arms than Collins by an inch and a half, yet he put up 37 reps at the combine.

And I would not throw the number out...it and individual numbers for the last two seasons are easily available with a quick google search. The number is not made up and he was also awarded the SEC's best blocker award.

Like I said we can agree to disagree but he is heralded everywhere for his run blocking whereas his pass blocking is what needs work. Your personal assessment goes against the vast majority of opinions on Collins.

Bench press reps like Flowers numbers are nice and all but don't reflect a players ability to drive defenders backwards. It is not all upper body, it is lower body, leverage and technique as well.

Its pretty well known that universities and pro teams inflate their tackle and block stats when rewatching game film. Blocking stats especially are pretty arbitrary.

If you dig in the assessments of Collins you will find some detractors that notice Collins isn't a mauler in the run game. He is big and athletic, but not particularly strong. I know we are going in circles in this side of the discussion, but Im far from alone in this assessment. I think Collins has the feet for good pass pro, long arms too. Not seeing Collins as a LT though, more of a RT/OG. Im just not able to project a dominating player at the next level.

I think film is a way better assessment of a players ability than combine numbers. I use the combine to either confirm or question what I see on film. In Collins case, the bench reps confirmed what I saw on film.

This was just brought up on rotoworld....

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/132727/lael-collins

Anthony Davis did 21 reps at te combine. Unless a player is lying on his back and trying to get someone off of him, it is not a good indicator of football strength.

LSU coaching staff credited him with 222.5 knockdown blocks in his 45-game career

Thanks, nice stat. Will have to agree to disagree with the OP despite that number, dunno what he is seeing on film.

But if you like stats, Erik Flowers has longer arms than Collins by an inch and a half, yet he put up 37 reps at the combine.
Isaac Sopoaga put up 10 more reps than Ndamukong Suh. Do you really think he is stronger than Suh? If so do you really think he is that much stronger than Suh?
  • evil
  • Veteran

And I would not throw the number out...it and individual numbers for the last two seasons are easily available with a quick google search. The number is not made up and he was also awarded the SEC's best blocker award.

Like I said we can agree to disagree but he is heralded everywhere for his run blocking whereas his pass blocking is what needs work. Your personal assessment goes against the vast majority of opinions on Collins.

Bench press reps like Flowers numbers are nice and all but don't reflect a players ability to drive defenders backwards. It is not all upper body, it is lower body, leverage and technique as well.

Its pretty well known that universities and pro teams inflate their tackle and block stats when rewatching game film. Blocking stats especially are pretty arbitrary.

If you dig in the assessments of Collins you will find some detractors that notice Collins isn't a mauler in the run game. He is big and athletic, but not particularly strong. I know we are going in circles in this side of the discussion, but Im far from alone in this assessment. I think Collins has the feet for good pass pro, long arms too. Not seeing Collins as a LT though, more of a RT/OG. Im just not able to project a dominating player at the next level.

I think film is a way better assessment of a players ability than combine numbers. I use the combine to either confirm or question what I see on film. In Collins case, the bench reps confirmed what I saw on film.

Bench reps cannot confirm an OL ability to be a dominant run blocker based off of what you saw on film. Teams will take into account his bench numbers but there is more to evaluating and confirming an OL ability to run block at the combine than just looking at his bench numbers.

Given that you are concluding your tape eval with bench numbers only means you have an inconclusive eval IMHO. Again we will have to agree to disagree.
I'm removing Marcus Peters from the do not draft list. He was originally there for attitude and consistency issues, but now I think that it is more a maturity issue. I think that he will mature in a pro football setting with the right mentors. His skill set is great and he could develop into a lock down corner.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Are we talking about DO NOT DRAFT BOARD, in the 1st round?

Well, below are my list and I'm also talkin about on the 15th spot.

1) Shane Ray (healthy or not)

2) Armstead

3) Beasley

4) Cooper

5) FSU's DL
My do not want out of/10 list
Arik Armstead
-looks like tarzan plays like jane/10

Lael Collins
- softer than downey/10

Randy Gregory
- if he is so high why doesn't he have the munchies and gain weight/10