LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 215 users in the forums

Randy Gregory failed drug test for Marijuana at Combine... could be there at 15?

Pass. Dude is a dumbass and a liar imo. If he smoked for the last time in December, he should have easily passed the drug test in mid February considering how hard he should've been training. Reminds me too much of Mingo, Jordan and Maybin.
  • crew
  • Veteran
I seriously doubt he falls out of the top 12, can't see the Giants passing on him.
[ Edited by crew on Mar 28, 2015 at 4:17 PM ]
OLB isnt even close to a need for us
Originally posted by Zachary:

Disagree. We're a year away from it potentially being a HUGE need. Unless Aldon stays straight for a whole year, he's probably gone. Brooks is also probably entering his final season for us. That would leave us extremely thin. I expect us to draft a OLB pretty early.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by strickac:

Disagree. We're a year away from it potentially being a HUGE need. Unless Aldon stays straight for a whole year, he's probably gone. Brooks is also probably entering his final season for us. That would leave us extremely thin. I expect us to draft a OLB pretty early.

Aldon still can be franchised though, so it's actually two years.

I'm gonna have to agree, you can NEVER have too many quality pass rushers.
In my opinion im hoping they move Brooks to ILB anyways and then Gregory would be needed
Not a big fan of Gregory. Explosive, yes, but the lanky frame reminds me too much of Dion Jordan and Manny Lawson. In review of his games, I see the pass rush and playmaking ability, but at the same time see his potential to be engulfed. There's a difference between getting blocked vs. getting eliminated. Gregory looks better suited to playing in the wide 9 scheme. Also, not fond of the fact that he failed a drug test. Puts even more risk on the player that he gets careless after getting his paycheck.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Mar 28, 2015 at 10:26 PM ]
Originally posted by mtminer:
Pass. Dude is a dumbass and a liar imo. If he smoked for the last time in December, he should have easily passed the drug test in mid February considering how hard he should've been training. Reminds me too much of Mingo, Jordan and Maybin.

Agree unless it was a hair follicle test
Originally posted by mtminer:

QFT

Before he got busted I didn't like him, now he is completely "Do not touch". Think he'll disappear from the NFL fast.
Originally posted by lamontb:
True. And hearing his explanation sounds like he's been listening to other weed heads about passing a drug test. He said he stopped smoking in December figuring it would be out of his system in 6 weeks. But i fyou smoke a lot it's more like 3 months before it's out of your system. Just pure idiocy

It's all a lie, the point is he DIDN'T stop smoking weed in December, he probably kept doing it, thought he could figure out a way to clean his piss before the test and now it didn't work.

Weed is out of your system in 2 weeks, maybe 3-4 if you are a big smoker. THC is stored in fat cells, so the fatter you are, the longer it takes to get out of your system... in Gregory's case, he's as lean as can be for his size. LOL.

Doesn't bother me that he smokes weed-- most of the NFL does, and they are just smart enough to know when to put it down for a while. A buddy of mine played in the NFL a few years back and told me they test you at the same time every year...

...unless you test positive, and in which case they will start testing you randomly and year round. That's why the same guys like Gordon, Ricky Williams, etc. get caught over and over again.

What bothers me is that he comes into the NFL with a big red X on his back for this.

I think he is the best pass rusher in the draft, would be thrilled if we drafted him... but I dunno if the Bay Area, home of the 420 movement, legal weed and a different pot clinic on every corner is the best place for him.

^^^^^^^^
I passed a urine test having stopped smoking 3 days prior. Hours before the test I drank 4 bottles of water and a vitamin water right before my test. I don't know the difference between the test I took and the one he took but you gotta be a real dumbass to fail a test you've known about months in advance.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Jimmy johnson said, "never draft stupid players."

Found this video pretty interesting and the guy has a series of pretty good videos including a breakdown of Amari Cooper vs. Jalen Collins. 8:40 reminded me of Aldon Smith when Gregory bull rushes Erick Flowers back 5 yards into his QB. Another good point raised in the video was that Gregory mostly was responsible for containment with tackle reads rather than snap or cadence reads so he didn't have the pass rushing opportunities that some other players like Beasley and Ray had.

I agree with a bunch of you that San Francisco may not be the best place for a player who can't stop smoking weed, but I could also see him becoming a really good player. I wouldn't be upset if we took him at 15 if he falls, and we had a rotation of Smith, Gregory, and Lynch next season.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Aldon still can be franchised though, so it's actually two years.

His franchise tag value could be as high as $11,704,800 in 2016 if he reaches his incentives and stays on the team the entire season.
6'5, 235, He qualifies as a tweener, the toughest position to translate from college to pro. Most of the time 300lb offense lineman pancake these guys. He could be Lemon 2.
Share 49ersWebzone