There are 333 users in the forums

9ersLiferInChciagoMock Draft - 2.0

Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by 9erguy:
Cowboy announced his retirement?
Don't think I said Cowboy announced retirement. But honestly, you think we're gonna have him opening day, or any day this upcoming season? I think it's prudent for Baalke to operate as if he has retired.

You mentioned him in past tense a few times. We need DL either way, but I too think it's prudent for Baalke to draft as if he is retiring. It doesn't mean he has.

This may be a moot point in a day or two, but I still consider him an active player.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
A big no to ILB in the 1st.....rather have jones to Collins at CB in the 2nd as well.

So do you think our offense is gonna be that much better than last year? we lost a lot on the offensive side as well.

Why would Edwards be out of reach in the 2nd?

I'm sorry but I would be very if the draft went down like this. And your basically throwing away your 5th on QB when there is a ton of talent to be had. Baalke should just grab a UDFA instead....this class is awful at QB.
All I can say is that you're WAY more optimistic about out ILB situation than I. Within a few days this position went from no need to address to a position of real weakness. While our CB position isn't good (witch is why I address it twice) IMHO its not as needy as our ILB spot it.

Honestly I do think our offense is gonna be a bit better than last seasons. Now, I wasn't on board with JH being fired. But his attempt to transform Kaep into something he clearly wasn't, and his stubborn refusal to adjust to that fact, completely cost this team last season, and in my mind unnecessary. While we did loose a little on offense the loss on defense is gonna impact this team FAR more than on offense. OG's are very replaceable, and we have players on the roster who could replace Iupati. RB's are devalued, and we do have talent on offense to win. Scheme means something. But I do wish we'd kept Johnson. And Crabs was at best a possession WR. Actually Torey Smith is an upgrade to what we had at the position.

Edwards is gonna be out of reach, I believe, because he's at a valued position with a valued skill-set. But if he's there we should take him in the 2nd.

I'm sorry, but I totally disagree that we'd be throwing away a 5th rounder on a QB. I have no faith at all in Crappert - NONE! If Kaep go down just scrap the season. We need to have a viable backup at QB. There's NO talent on our roster that deserves the #2 QB job. And what URFA do you have in mind?

Bowman and MW are most likely the starters and TED lb is probably the LEAST important position In our 3-4 D. Look at all the ILBs that were thrown in when our all-pros were hurt...they all playe well. If there is a position Baalke knows it LB.

You think a QB in the 5th will take over grabbert? They just resigned him and he has cash coming he's way. Sean looked awful when he had any sort of pressure and what can every team in the NFC west bring? Pressure. Waste of a pick when there are good CBs and LBs there.
Yeah, I know that Gabbert was resigned. But that don't mean that we won't, or don't need to, draft a QB. And personally, I don't see a LB at this point that I can get excited about, or any that could realistically come in and challenge for a starting role. And I have to repeat, Bowman's knee injury was really serious. I'b be shocked if Baalke was counting on Bowman returning to form.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
You are the one acting cowardly about Borland decision to retire.

BTW your mock draft sucks really badly.
I bet you feel real proud of yourself

Not proud. Just feel the need to call out fans that have the audacity to call someone a coward. He made a decision and had the bravery to stand by it. Seriously who are you to judge?

And your mock is pretty awful. Overkill on the ILB position with high draft picks. The CBs were overvalued. The offense was not even touched. Not seeing any real improvement.
Bless your heart. . . . The offense not touched? Yeah, you didn't read the whole post. But I'm sure it wouldn't matter to you much if you did.

I won't address Borland with you here. Don't wanna see this thread locked for stupidity. But like myself you're entitled to your opinion.
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Mar 23, 2015 at 6:31 PM ]
Originally posted by 9erguy:
You mentioned him in past tense a few times. We need DL either way, but I too think it's prudent for Baalke to draft as if he is retiring. It doesn't mean he has.

This may be a moot point in a day or two, but I still consider him an active player.
That's fair
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Waller will not be in the 7th.... he is projected as a fifth rounder. Otherwise nice draft. I would rather see Waller in the fifth than a qb. You can get someone that is mannions quality in 6th and 7th.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Ps. Perryman is a prototypical mike linebacker not sam
Originally posted by fan49:
Ps. Perryman is a prototypical mike linebacker not sam
I won't argue with that because in a 3-4 scheme he'd fit the Ted or Mike role. (I should have used Ted instead of Sam.) But his ability to take on blockers makes him ideal to deal with the strength side of the offense.
Stopped reading at cowardly.
There is almost no shot Rowe makes it to our pick late 4th round. He was a 3rd-4th round prospect before the combine where he blew up. CBS still lists him as 3rd-4th round for whatever reason (which would still be out of range of our pick), but he's likely gone by the middle of the 3rd round.
The loss of Ray Mac and most likely Justin Smith is actually bigger than losing Willis and Borland. The loss of that DL experience has to be replaced soonest...because what they do has a direct impact on what our LB's do. Dockett was a good signing, but the need for Tank to step up big was never more important. Darnell won't play that much longer, so now's the time to beef up the DL, and in a big and meaningful way. Baalke should have either/both Goldman & Malcolm Brown on the board at #15. He needs to take one of 'em. If he trades down, then he can still get a "big" by taking huge NT Phillips, then draft a stout DE in 2nd or 3rd rd.

For sure, Willis and Borland are a big loss. But, Wilhoite's a capable starter. If FA Erin Henderson's deemed to be past his previous troubles, he could be a real baller alongside Bowman. In 33 starts for the Vikes, he had 261 total tackles. I know Baalke likes Stephone Anthony and will soon visit with Bernardrick. One of those two would be ideal. Perryman's short and really good at one thing...tackling ball carriers. He's not much on covering receivers or hitting the film room. With all the needs, I don't see Baalke drafting two ILB's.

If Baalke were to draft Preston Smith, he'd likely be an OLB, not a DE. That's ok...like CB's never too many pass rushers.

I like both Rollins

Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
The loss of Ray Mac and most likely Justin Smith is actually bigger than losing Willis and Borland. The loss of that DL experience has to be replaced soonest...because what they do has a direct impact on what our LB's do. Dockett was a good signing, but the need for Tank to step up big was never more important. Darnell won't play that much longer, so now's the time to beef up the DL, and in a big and meaningful way. Baalke should have either/both Goldman & Malcolm Brown on the board at #15. He needs to take one of 'em. If he trades down, then he can still get a "big" by taking huge NT Phillips, then draft a stout DE in 2nd or 3rd rd.

For sure, Willis and Borland are a big loss. But, Wilhoite's a capable starter. If FA Erin Henderson's deemed to be past his previous troubles, he could be a real baller alongside Bowman. In 33 starts for the Vikes, he had 261 total tackles. I know Baalke likes Stephone Anthony and will soon visit with Bernardrick. One of those two would be ideal. Perryman's short and really good at one thing...tackling ball carriers. He's not much on covering receivers or hitting the film room. With all the needs, I don't see Baalke drafting two ILB's.

If Baalke were to draft Preston Smith, he'd likely be an OLB, not a DE. That's ok...like CB's never too many pass rushers.

I like both Rollins
Wow

First, the ILB position hasn't really been addressed much over the years, specifically because we haven't needed to. But in one off-season it went from strength to serious weakness. The D-line has been addressed over the previous drafts. And, JT has done a really good job with keeping the D-line solid. The ILB position has largely been a product of good drafting, and we've relied heavily on good ILB play for years now. So I disagree that our ILB position is in better shape than the D-line.

I'm sorry, but I'm not confident in Wilhoite's ability to be the long-term starter, to be THE guy that takes over along side Bowman (assuming he's back to form). When Borland went down our defense got seriously exposed, in particular the LB's. So for me Wilhoite is a capable backup, not a 3 down starter.

Erin Henderson - seriously? Just how many games do you think he'll be available (and sober) for the 49ers to count on? Drunk driving, twice, in 2013/2014. Weed possession, after being released from the Vikings. You don't think we have enough distractions?

Tell me what LB coming out of collage won't have questions in coverage. It's like route-running deficiencies of WR's coming out of collage. That's an easy criticism of pretty much every LB in every draft. And don't forget that Borland had the same criticisms that Denzel Perryman is getting. But to say that he's only good at tackling the ball carrier is terribly simplistic, and from what I've seen of him totally false. Perhaps we see different things in the same player, witch is often the case.

And I don't know where you're getting that Preston Smith will be used as an OLB He won't fly around nobody and nowhere near a standup edge rusher. I've watched a lot of film on this kid and I saw NOTHING that would convince me that he'd be an OLB in the NFL. And any team that drafts him there are gonna be seriously disappointed. Now, in a 3-4 scheme he'll need to put on about 10 pounds. But OLB will be just out of position for him.
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Mar 23, 2015 at 11:52 PM ]
A big no to ILB in the 1st.....rather have jones to Collins at CB in the 2nd as well.

So do you think our offense is gonna be that much better than last year? we lost a lot on the offensive side as well.

Why would Edwards be out of reach in the 2nd?

I'm sorry but I would be very if the draft went down like this. And your basically throwing away your 5th on QB when there is a ton of talent to be had. Baalke should just grab a UDFA instead....this class is awful at QB.
All I can say is that you're WAY more optimistic about out ILB situation than I. Within a few days this position went from no need to address to a position of real weakness. While our CB position isn't good (witch is why I address it twice) IMHO its not as needy as our ILB spot it.

Honestly I do think our offense is gonna be a bit better than last seasons. Now, I wasn't on board with JH being fired. But his attempt to transform Kaep into something he clearly wasn't, and his stubborn refusal to adjust to that fact, completely cost this team last season, and in my mind unnecessary. While we did loose a little on offense the loss on defense is gonna impact this team FAR more than on offense. OG's are very replaceable, and we have players on the roster who could replace Iupati. RB's are devalued, and we do have talent on offense to win. Scheme means something. But I do wish we'd kept Johnson. And Crabs was at best a possession WR. Actually Torey Smith is an upgrade to what we had at the position.

Edwards is gonna be out of reach, I believe, because he's at a valued position with a valued skill-set. But if he's there we should take him in the 2nd.

I'm sorry, but I totally disagree that we'd be throwing away a 5th rounder on a QB. I have no faith at all in Crappert - NONE! If Kaep go down just scrap the season. We need to have a viable backup at QB. There's NO talent on our roster that deserves the #2 QB job. And what URFA do you have in mind?

Bowman and MW are most likely the starters and TED lb is probably the LEAST important position In our 3-4 D. Look at all the ILBs that were thrown in when our all-pros were hurt...they all playe well. If there is a position Baalke knows it LB.

You think a QB in the 5th will take over grabbert? They just resigned him and he has cash coming he's way. Sean looked awful when he had any sort of pressure and what can every team in the NFC west bring? Pressure. Waste of a pick when there are good CBs and LBs there.
Yeah, I know that Gabbert was resigned. But that don't mean that we won't, or don't need to, draft a QB. And personally, I don't see a LB at this point that I can get excited about, or any that could realistically come in and challenge for a starting role. And I have to repeat, Bowman's knee injury was really serious. I'b be shocked if Baalke was counting on Bowman returning to form.

Why draft a QB that isn't worth being drafted in the 5th? This is a very very weak class at QB and to take someone in the 5th that most likely is a 3rd string QB is a waste. I'd rather bring in a Schaub,Vick,Johnson etc as a backup.

You don't have to be excited about LB but know Baalke will find someone, like he always does, to play the position at the very least fairly well. Please tell me you were really excited about Borland when he was drafted? I doubt you were, but guess what he came in a played well, so did Larry Grant, MW, and others. The position isn't as important as DL and spending two high picks on it isn't a smart move and most likely doesn't happen.

If Baalke wasn't positive that Bowman was coming back this year, I'm betting he would ask him to restructure his contract.
This draft is way way way too defensive heavy. No thank you.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
There is almost no shot Rowe makes it to our pick late 4th round. He was a 3rd-4th round prospect before the combine where he blew up. CBS still lists him as 3rd-4th round for whatever reason (which would still be out of range of our pick), but he's likely gone by the middle of the 3rd round.
IMHO, Rowe will be available mid to late 4th.
Share 49ersWebzone