There are 201 users in the forums

Draft Experts Wanted!

Originally posted by 9moon:
This is my IDEA..

One of the teams from 20 to 26 will be moving up on our spot.. and this is what I see happening..

1-15) Detroit - sending the 49ers their 1st pick (2015) and 2nd round (2015) - Melvin Gordon; RB - Wisconsin

1-23) Patriots - needing to replace Wilfork now, New England traded to out spot (23rd) and for an extra 3rd, and drafts DT/NT Jordan Phillips of Oklahoma..

WE NOW HAVE...

1-32) Benardrick McKinney; ILB - Miss St

2-46) Carl Davis; DT - Iowa
2-54) Quentin Rollins; CB - Miami OH

3-79) Taiwan Jones; ILB - Michigan State
3-96) Henry Anderson; DE - Stanford

4-123) Taiwan Jones; ILB - Michigan State
4-comp) Ty Montgomery; WR - Stanford

5) Arie Kouandijo; OG - Alabama
6) SeQwan Edwards; CB - New Mexico

7a) Nate Montana; QB - Tulsa
7comp) Ross Apo; WR - BYU

Definitely not a fan of taking Taiwan Jones in consecutive rounds
Originally posted by LVJay:
I'm just gonna count Justin Smith out for now until I see him in a game. I can't trust Ian Williams to stay healthy for more than a few games. We know about Dockett's past, but what will he be like this season (coming off serious injury / 34 years old). Dorsey coming off an injury....

The youngsters are good with a lot of potential, but not a lot of experience (Tank/Dial/TJE).

Okoye and Purcells

If Baalke gets a NT in the 1st rd, I won't be mad (I hope we get one in the early round).

And Ramsey as well.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Alright my man...love the rationale. Now, if you reorder this, whatchu got?

Draft Round - Targets:
1. SF - OLB/DE
2. SF - WR
3. SF - ILB/LG/RB
4. From Denver - RB/CB/FS
4. Comp (Projected from OTC) - LT/RT
5. SF - NT
6. SF - QB
7. From IND - PK/P
7. Comp (Projected from OTC) - TE/H-Back

The only thing I caution everyone is to use the WWBD (What Would Baalke Do?). He's got to think immediate needs (maybe 2) but probably, way more so, next year starters and developmental players and depth.
more like this (I will try to target just one position each round):
1. SF - DE
2. SF - ILB
3. SF - WR
4. From Denver - OLB
4. Comp (Projected from OTC) - RB
5. SF - TE
6. SF - OT/OG
7. From IND - DE
7. Comp (Projected from OTC) - NT

of course, it doesn't comply with my statement above

a comment to the ILB-situation:
Baalke is playing mind games like a chessmaster. Looking at some ILBs in the FA, inviting Anthony and McKinney to a workout whereas I'm starting to assume that Dawson and/or Perryman are clear-cut candidates due to good instincts whereas the big boys are looked at thanks to their athleticism who could outweigh some other issues.
Very interesting. Who knows, perhaps we really won't neither draft an ILB nor sign one through FA at all.
I'm just gonna count Justin Smith out for now until I see him in a game. I can't trust Ian Williams to stay healthy for more than a few games. We know about Dockett's past, but what will he be like this season (coming off serious injury / 34 years old). Dorsey coming off an injury....

The youngsters are good with a lot of potential, but not a lot of experience (Tank/Dial/TJE).

Okoye and Purcells

If Baalke gets a NT in the 1st rd, I won't be mad (I hope we get one in the early round).
you can't trust Williams to stay healthy, I'm absolutely ok with this statement, still you are talking about Ramsey who was very injury-prone in the college

Okoye is an athlete for now who never played football before he was drafted by the Niners, Purcells is a backup at the very best so far.

Giving up on Williams and moving Dorsey to the outside could indeed amplify the probability of picking a NT early. Then again, according to some reads, Carl Davis could fill out the position as well as playing 5tech.
And Ramsey as well.

Ramsey was a late 7th round pick who was absolutely injury-wrecked in college. He didn't make it to his 30th game until his 6th college season. If he plays a single NFL snap I'll be shocked. Certainly some nice potential and worth the risk in the 7th round but not a guy you count on for anything.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 23, 2015 at 6:26 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by communist:

Okoye and Purcells

you can't trust Williams to stay healthy, I'm absolutely ok with this statement, still you are talking about Ramsey who was very injury-prone in the college

Okoye is an athlete for now who never played football before he was drafted by the Niners, Purcells is a backup at the very best so far.

Giving up on Williams and moving Dorsey to the outside could indeed amplify the probability of picking a NT early. Then again, according to some reads, Carl Davis could fill out the position as well as playing 5tech.

For now, Okoye and Purcells are wishful thinking, but I would love to be wrong (I like Okoye) and thought Purcells might need more time to at least be a decent back up in the rotation. I forgot about Ramsey... I dunno bout him, but I hope he's fully recovered and ready to compete in camp.

If Williams could go the whole year, I'd say we're solid at nose tackle and draft one in the later rounds. I'm just not sure if he's injury prone or not though.

9 picks in the draft....

Round 1: 1 pick
Round 2: 1 pick
Round 3: 1 pick
Round 4: 2 picks
Round 5: 1 pick
Round 6: 1 pick
Round 7: 2 picks
http://www.49erswebzone.com/news/81135-49ers-receive-4th-7th-round-compensatory-picks/#Tr8P33IAhbAYd5zG.99

Maybe we can get Dawson / Lee some competition with those two 7th rounders
[ Edited by LVJay on Mar 23, 2015 at 6:43 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
And Ramsey as well.

Ramsey was a late 7th round pick who was absolutely injury-wrecked in college. He didn't make it to his 30th game until his 6th college season. If he plays a single NFL snap I'll be shocked. Certainly some nice potential and worth the risk in the 7th round but not a guy you count on for anything.

Thank you! Kept hearing he was a high pick if not for the injuries...
Picks have been determined:

Draft Round - Targets:
1 (15) - OLB/DE
2 (14) - WR
3 (15) - ILB/LG/RB
4 (14) To Buffalo for Stevie Johnson
4 (27) From Denver - RB/CB/FS
4 (33) Compensatory pick - LT/RT
5 (15) - NT
6 (14) - QB
7 (29) From Indianapolis for Cam Johnson - PK/P
7 (37) Compensatory pick - TE/H-Back
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 24, 2015 at 8:34 AM ]
Alright my man...love the rationale. Now, if you reorder this, whatchu got?

Draft Round - Targets:
1. SF - OLB/DE
2. SF - WR
3. SF - ILB/LG/RB
4. From Denver - RB/CB/FS
4. Comp (Projected from OTC) - LT/RT
5. SF - NT
6. SF - QB
7. From IND - PK/P
7. Comp (Projected from OTC) - TE/H-Back

The only thing I caution everyone is to use the WWBD (What Would Baalke Do?). He's got to think immediate needs (maybe 2) but probably, way more so, next year starters and developmental players and depth.
more like this (I will try to target just one position each round):
1. SF - DE
2. SF - ILB
3. SF - WR
4. From Denver - OLB
4. Comp (Projected from OTC) - RB
5. SF - TE
6. SF - OT/OG
7. From IND - DE
7. Comp (Projected from OTC) - NT

of course, it doesn't comply with my statement above

a comment to the ILB-situation:
Baalke is playing mind games like a chessmaster. Looking at some ILBs in the FA, inviting Anthony and McKinney to a workout whereas I'm starting to assume that Dawson and/or Perryman are clear-cut candidates due to good instincts whereas the big boys are looked at thanks to their athleticism who could outweigh some other issues.
Very interesting. Who knows, perhaps we really won't neither draft an ILB nor sign one through FA at all.

Well done! I really like it...look forward to who you have slated there at those picks/needs!
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Round 1 - OLB UCLA Owamagbe Odighizuwa

Round 2 - WR UCF Breshad Perriman

Round 3 - ILB Miami Denzel Perryman

Round 4 - CB Mississippi St. Justin Cox

Round 4 - RB Florida St. Karlos Williams

Round 5 - OLB Oklahoma Geneo Grissom

Round 6 - OG Utah Jeremiah Poutasi

Round 7 - FS East Washington Tevin McDonald

Round 7 - WR Texas Tech Bradley Marquez
[ Edited by SaksV on Mar 23, 2015 at 7:14 PM ]

DL should be the top priority...if Justin Smith retires, that's a huge amount of experience lost between him and Ray Mac. Dockett was a good signing, but it still means Tank has to step up big. Now's the time to draft a Goldman, Malcolm Brown or even go with the big NT from OK, Phillips.

Pass rusher's fine...no guarantees on Aldon.

OT's the OL priority...fine to take an OG as well, but not in 1st or 2nd rd as I've seen in plenty of mocks. There's little behind Staley & AD.

A position seemingly forgotten in many mocks is TE...Vernon's in his contract year, no guarantees he'll be back in 2016. I know Baalke likes Walford (he's kind of beastly).

ILB need could be addressed a bit later if Baalke signs Erin Henderson. This dude could be a real baller if his troubles are behind him.

Of course, CB's a priority...can't have too many. Would love to see Baalke grab Peters...dude's tough and skilled...our secondary could use that.

I hate "formula" drafts...and am pretty certain Baalke doesn't draft that way. He believes in BPA and when that's also a need, it's draft nirvana.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
No moreso than DL, particularly if Justin Smith retires. That's the single biggest need IMO, especially considering that Ian Williams and Dorsey are on short term deals, Dockett is a short term solution at best, might be a one year guy and beyond that, all you have left is Carradine, Dial and TJE.

Think about it, you could go from Ray McDonald and Justin Smith to having an aging Dockett to go along with Carradine or TJE. Not really a fan of that, particularly with guys coming back off of major injuries at NT. Even if Justin Smith stays, your DE's are potentially two one year guys. I'm a huge fan of Carradine and think that he'll be a very good player but you need someone to develop as the starter at the other DE, as well as long-term NT.

I fall in line with this thinking as well. Just take a second and think about what has made our defense so good the past 3-5 years. It's been stopping the run. Essentially when we are able to stop the run so effectively we force teams to abandon it which gives our secondary and pass rushers the advantage of knowing the pass is coming. Having a strong front 7 is the #1 key to our defense. JSmith and Ray Mac were probly top 10 DE's at absorbing double teams and stuffing the run. This only makes our linebackers and secondary that much better.

Losing Willis and Borland will hurt no doubt, but we need to draft a solid DE to replace atleast one of our starting dline. We know Tank is a good pass rusher along with Dockett but both are suspect when it comes to run plays. I think Baalke has to take the best D lineman available at #15 and maybe grab a developmental NT in the middle rounds to sit this year and learn from Dorsey/ Williams.
Trades are implied without mentioning them, therefore a move up-or downwards within a certain round won't be explained CBS is my souce.

1. SF - DE - DT/DE Carl Davis, Iowa
do you need an explanation?

2. SF - ILB - ILB Paul Dawson, TCU
nfl.com:
"...Outrageously productive linebacker with a nose for the ball. Dawson averages a tackle every 5.3 snaps and either caused or recovered a total of 8 turnovers during the 2014 season. Evaluators understand that Dawson has been a handful while at TCU and that will turn some teams off to him completely. Dawson can play inside in a 2-gap scheme but is a natural fit at 4-3 WILL."

3. SF - WR - WR Chris Conley, Georgia
nfl.com:
"...Tall receiver lacking blazing speed but showcasing enough acceleration to create separation when challenging upfield. Conley displays a natural feel for the position and has hand strength and body control to make tough, contested catches. Lacked gaudy numbers in run-heavy Georgia offense, but his productivity per catch will certainly be noticed by NFL teams -- especially if he has good timed speed at the NFL Scouting Combine.

4. From Denver - OLB - OLB Lorenzo Mauldin, Lousville
nfl.com
"...Known for strong mental makeup, Mauldin is expected to check all of the character boxes, according to scouts. Productive pass rusher with a knack for beating tackles inside. Finds the ball quickly and chases against the run. Very active, productive collegiate player."

4. Comp (Projected from OTC) - RB - RB Mike Davis, South Carolina
nfl.com:
"...Rhythm runner who is at his best when he's getting plenty of work. Davis has a surprising ability to turn on the jets and get on top of the secondary quickly for long runs, and his north-south mentality is a fit for the pros. With an ability to play on third down as well, the only thing holding Davis back is conditioning. Davis won't make too many defenders miss, so he can't afford to lose the corner speed he showed in 2013. Davis can be a very capable NFL backup with the potential to become a starter."

5. SF - TE - TE Wes Saxton, South Alabama
nfl.com:
"...Saxton has traits that have opened the eyes of some scouts. He can run and has the length and hands of an NFL tight end. His biggest draft obstacle is that his willingness and/or ability to compete as a run blocker limits his value to a team. Saxton needs to get bigger and show a greater commitment to improving all facets of his game. For now, he is a developmental prospect with athletic traits."

6. SF - OT/OG - OT Laurence Gibson, Virginia Tech
nfl.com:
"...Strange combination of lateral quickness and noticeable stiffness in lower half in pass sets and in space. Gibson has the movement skills of a zone tackle, but NFL teams might look right past him on draft day if he doesn't add more functional core strength."

7. From IND - DE - DT/DE Bobby Richardson, Indiana
nfl.com:
"...Richardson's tape is full of plays and near plays thanks to his outstanding pursuit and his ability to shed and find the ball quickly. While he lacks the desired height to play defensive end in an odd front, his length and outstanding work with his hands give him a shot at that spot. He has enough strength and room for more bulk to project inside in an upfield 4-3 defense. Richardson's athleticism and hand usage make him an ascending prospect with starter potential."

7. Comp (Projected from OTC) - NT - NT/DT Deon Simon, Northwestern State
nfl.com:
"...Big-bodied defensive tackle who could find a home as a two-gapping nose guard in a 3-4. Simon is 24 years old and is coming off of a knee injury, but he has noticeable power and shows potential to slow the run in the middle of a defense. He needs much better pad level and plenty of coaching for his potential to be unlocked."
Trades are implied without mentioning them, therefore a move up-or downwards within a certain round won't be explained CBS is my souce.

1. SF - DE - DT/DE Carl Davis, Iowa
do you need an explanation?

2. SF - ILB - ILB Paul Dawson, TCU
nfl.com:
"...Outrageously productive linebacker with a nose for the ball. Dawson averages a tackle every 5.3 snaps and either caused or recovered a total of 8 turnovers during the 2014 season. Evaluators understand that Dawson has been a handful while at TCU and that will turn some teams off to him completely. Dawson can play inside in a 2-gap scheme but is a natural fit at 4-3 WILL."

3. SF - WR - WR Chris Conley, Georgia
nfl.com:
"...Tall receiver lacking blazing speed but showcasing enough acceleration to create separation when challenging upfield. Conley displays a natural feel for the position and has hand strength and body control to make tough, contested catches. Lacked gaudy numbers in run-heavy Georgia offense, but his productivity per catch will certainly be noticed by NFL teams -- especially if he has good timed speed at the NFL Scouting Combine.

4. From Denver - OLB - OLB Lorenzo Mauldin, Lousville
nfl.com
"...Known for strong mental makeup, Mauldin is expected to check all of the character boxes, according to scouts. Productive pass rusher with a knack for beating tackles inside. Finds the ball quickly and chases against the run. Very active, productive collegiate player."

4. Comp (Projected from OTC) - RB - RB Mike Davis, South Carolina
nfl.com:
"...Rhythm runner who is at his best when he's getting plenty of work. Davis has a surprising ability to turn on the jets and get on top of the secondary quickly for long runs, and his north-south mentality is a fit for the pros. With an ability to play on third down as well, the only thing holding Davis back is conditioning. Davis won't make too many defenders miss, so he can't afford to lose the corner speed he showed in 2013. Davis can be a very capable NFL backup with the potential to become a starter."

5. SF - TE - TE Wes Saxton, South Alabama
nfl.com:
"...Saxton has traits that have opened the eyes of some scouts. He can run and has the length and hands of an NFL tight end. His biggest draft obstacle is that his willingness and/or ability to compete as a run blocker limits his value to a team. Saxton needs to get bigger and show a greater commitment to improving all facets of his game. For now, he is a developmental prospect with athletic traits."

6. SF - OT/OG - OT Laurence Gibson, Virginia Tech
nfl.com:
"...Strange combination of lateral quickness and noticeable stiffness in lower half in pass sets and in space. Gibson has the movement skills of a zone tackle, but NFL teams might look right past him on draft day if he doesn't add more functional core strength."

7. From IND - DE - DT/DE Bobby Richardson, Indiana
nfl.com:
"...Richardson's tape is full of plays and near plays thanks to his outstanding pursuit and his ability to shed and find the ball quickly. While he lacks the desired height to play defensive end in an odd front, his length and outstanding work with his hands give him a shot at that spot. He has enough strength and room for more bulk to project inside in an upfield 4-3 defense. Richardson's athleticism and hand usage make him an ascending prospect with starter potential."

7. Comp (Projected from OTC) - NT - NT/DT Deon Simon, Northwestern State
nfl.com:
"...Big-bodied defensive tackle who could find a home as a two-gapping nose guard in a 3-4. Simon is 24 years old and is coming off of a knee injury, but he has noticeable power and shows potential to slow the run in the middle of a defense. He needs much better pad level and plenty of coaching for his potential to be unlocked."

Draft Round - Targets:
1 (15) - OLB/DEx2 - You went with DE over OLB in Carl Davis, Iowa
2 (14) - WR - You went with an ILB Paul Dawson, TCU over WR
3 (15) - ILB/LG/RB - You pushed WR to this pick and went with Chris Conley, Georgia
4 (27) From Denver - RB/CB/FS - Now you you came back to OLB and selected Lorenzo Mauldin, Lousville
4 (33) Compensatory pick - LT/RT - Then you came back and grabbed the RB position with Mike Davis, South Carolina
5 (15) - NT - Now you found a RZ threat early in TE Wes Saxton, South Alabama
6 (14) - QB - Here you come back to T and nab Laurence Gibson, Virginia Tech
7 (29) From Indianapolis for Cam Johnson - PK/P - You bypass ST and go for more depth at DE with Bobby Richardson, Indiana
7 (37) Compensatory pick - TE/H-Back - Finally, you make Mangini smile again with a 2-gap NT in Deon Simon, Northwestern State

So at the end of the day, you've addressed our needs by the following: OLB, DE x2, ILB and NT on defense and on offense, RB, T and TE. The additional positions we did not address were CB, FS, QB, G, and PK/P.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 24, 2015 at 8:48 AM ]
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
DL should be the top priority...if Justin Smith retires, that's a huge amount of experience lost between him and Ray Mac. Dockett was a good signing, but it still means Tank has to step up big. Now's the time to draft a Goldman, Malcolm Brown or even go with the big NT from OK, Phillips.

Pass rusher's fine...no guarantees on Aldon.

OT's the OL priority...fine to take an OG as well, but not in 1st or 2nd rd as I've seen in plenty of mocks. There's little behind Staley & AD.

A position seemingly forgotten in many mocks is TE...Vernon's in his contract year, no guarantees he'll be back in 2016. I know Baalke likes Walford (he's kind of beastly).

ILB need could be addressed a bit later if Baalke signs Erin Henderson. This dude could be a real baller if his troubles are behind him.

Of course, CB's a priority...can't have too many. Would love to see Baalke grab Peters...dude's tough and skilled...our secondary could use that.

I hate "formula" drafts...and am pretty certain Baalke doesn't draft that way. He believes in BPA and when that's also a need, it's draft nirvana.

I believe Baalke does both...BPA at the position of needs is his #1 priority. However, if there is a significantly higher graded BPA at a non-position of need, he'll go that route over a BPA at a position of need. If the BPA at a position of need is just a slight grade lower than the BPA of a non-position of need, he'll go with that BPA at the position of need instead. If that makes any sense...
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 24, 2015 at 9:46 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone