LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 266 users in the forums

MadDog49er Notes Sunday March 22

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by Mann716:
Maddog what's your thoughts on Breshad Perriman? I am personally very high on him.

No nearly as high. He's my number 9 WR. Strictly a vertical threat, and 50 receptions in 2014 scare me. Struggled to get more than 2 or 3 catches against tough defenses. He is a homerun hitter when he makes a reception. I have a third round grade on him. I know many disagree with me.

Thank you. Still stunned he is being talked about as a potential first rounder.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Mar 23, 2015 at 9:20 AM ]
I sure hope Gurley wears the RED and GOLD instead of purple

I agree with you on Henry Anderson. Having watched him play the past few years, I'm extremely confused as to why he isn't rated higher by most pundits. I see a guy that has a high motor and plays his role very well on the d-line. Gets a push and is a step away from receiving more sack numbers. I like the kid a lot.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by Mann716:
Maddog what's your thoughts on Breshad Perriman? I am personally very high on him.

No nearly as high. He's my number 9 WR. Strictly a vertical threat, and 50 receptions in 2014 scare me. Struggled to get more than 2 or 3 catches against tough defenses. He is a homerun hitter when he makes a reception. I have a third round grade on him. I know many disagree with me.

Thank you. Still stunned he is being talked about as a potential first rounder.

Me too. His hands need a lot of work, too.
from your first "Notes"-thread:
MD, would you mind to tell us/me something about:
-WR Conley, Georgia
-WR Waller, Georgia Tech
what round would you take them? any no-go?

I know that Conley is coming from a run-heavy offense therefore production was limited by the system; that could be good, i.e. getting a potentially good WR late, or bad (already reached his potential).He seems not just a workout warrior, indeed he can play very fast, pretty solid route-runner, good hands, huge wingspan (33,75 at 6-2 is lights-out, of course only if he is taking advantage of it).
Waller is very fast but very very raw. If he turns his head around in order to track the ball, he is slowing down. Relatively good hands and ball control according to nfl.com...just very raw when it comes down to route-running which is screaming "at least a year before he is allowed to enter the field". Way to difficult to determine his value.
Originally posted by AsianJeff:

I agree with you on Henry Anderson. Having watched him play the past few years, I'm extremely confused as to why he isn't rated higher by most pundits. I see a guy that has a high motor and plays his role very well on the d-line. Gets a push and is a step away from receiving more sack numbers. I like the kid a lot.
according to nfl.com:

"SOURCES TELL US "He plays hard like Trent Murphy did at Stanford, but Murphy was a better athlete. He's not explosive enough to be a reliable pass rusher and I don't see him as a run stuffer." -- Pac 12 regional scout"

"BOTTOM LINE Data driven teams will be intrigued by Anderson's stuffs, impact tackles and total pressures, but the tape doesn't validate his potential to produce these numbers on the pro level. The body type screams 3-4 defensive end if he can bulk up and add power, but he might lack the balance and toughness to make it there. Anderson might just be a "tweener" without a clear NFL position fit."

I don't want to question MD's knowledge nor I wanna say that the scouting report by the nfl.com is true but I would throw one argument pro nfl.com in the ring:
- pac-12

Of course, one could disagree here with some tapes against competitive o-lines.
Originally posted by communist:

according to nfl.com:

"SOURCES TELL US "He plays hard like Trent Murphy did at Stanford, but Murphy was a better athlete. He's not explosive enough to be a reliable pass rusher and I don't see him as a run stuffer." -- Pac 12 regional scout"

"BOTTOM LINE Data driven teams will be intrigued by Anderson's stuffs, impact tackles and total pressures, but the tape doesn't validate his potential to produce these numbers on the pro level. The body type screams 3-4 defensive end if he can bulk up and add power, but he might lack the balance and toughness to make it there. Anderson might just be a "tweener" without a clear NFL position fit."

I don't want to question MD's knowledge nor I wanna say that the scouting report by the nfl.com is true but I would throw one argument pro nfl.com in the ring:
- pac-12

Of course, one could disagree here with some tapes against competitive o-lines.

The reason I'm high on him is because he fits that 3-4 defensive end body type, and i feel he can actually add another 10-15 lbs to his frame.

Only reason I can think of is Anderson plays DE in a 3-4 scheme, but his numbers are terrific even for that. He is easily a top 5 DE in this draft among 3-4 DEs.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Only reason I can think of is Anderson plays DE in a 3-4 scheme, but his numbers are terrific even for that. He is easily a top 5 DE in this draft among 3-4 DEs.

exactly what i've been trying to say.
  • stick
  • Veteran
Hey MD is their any specific reason Marcus Peters is no longer in your top 50?
The reason I'm high on him is because he fits that 3-4 defensive end body type, and i feel he can actually add another 10-15 lbs to his frame.
I agree on that one but if this is his only advantage, then I would pass and/or draft a 5-tech with more talent.

Though, to be honest, there is not much choice above of him. Carl Davis (MD loves him for a reason) and Arik Armstead (not a fan of him though, too much potential too little production), perhaps Hardison (little experience, 2014 was his first and only year with some impact but he seems to be VERY athletic at 307 pounds), Edwards jr. (solid prospect overall) and Preston Smith (very long arms, athletic but needs to add some bulk, just around 270 pounds like Justin Smith back then when he was drafted) but that's about it.

Originally posted by Ninefan56:
MadDog:
I this list you have just made approximately the same as your 49er board? Will you be giving us your view of the 49er board?
Thanks for all of your input.

Soon. Juggling watching games and working on boards.
Originally posted by stick:
Hey MD is their any specific reason Marcus Peters is no longer in your top 50?

Debating where he fits with some of the friction between coaches in the past. I am leaning toward putting him back on the board, somewhere in the high thirties. I think he is the fourth best CB in this draft after Waynes, Johnson, and Collins.
Originally posted by communist:
from your first "Notes"-thread:
MD, would you mind to tell us/me something about:
-WR Conley, Georgia
-WR Waller, Georgia Tech
what round would you take them? any no-go?

I know that Conley is coming from a run-heavy offense therefore production was limited by the system; that could be good, i.e. getting a potentially good WR late, or bad (already reached his potential).He seems not just a workout warrior, indeed he can play very fast, pretty solid route-runner, good hands, huge wingspan (33,75 at 6-2 is lights-out, of course only if he is taking advantage of it).
Waller is very fast but very very raw. If he turns his head around in order to track the ball, he is slowing down. Relatively good hands and ball control according to nfl.com...just very raw when it comes down to route-running which is screaming "at least a year before he is allowed to enter the field". Way to difficult to determine his value.

I think Conley's best football is ahead of him. I see a guy with a real burst when he plays, and have him as late third round value in a deep WR class. Waller is so tall, and does his best work along the sidelines. Red zone target for sure. Not as high on him as others. Fifth round value.
Originally posted by strickac:
What do you think of TJ Clemmings? Athletic tackles are always at a premium and he's pretty smooth. Personally, I think he'll come off the board very early if there's a run on OTs.

BTW, I completely agree with your top 5 players just in a different order. Also, I like that you have Gregory way down. He's too light to be considered in the top 10. He'll get pushed around in the NFL until he can build the frame to become more than just a situational pass rusher.

Best run blocking RT in the draft. Kills people. It is a beautiful thing. The problem- so many issues in pass protection. Very frustrating prospect.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
two words
Kevin Johnson
Share 49ersWebzone