LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 275 users in the forums

Biggest need in 1st Round???

Biggest need in 1st Round???

I take the dynamic WR in the first, and then load up on defense the rest of the draft. We don't need to draft CB or DL in the first round. Baalke has shown he is good at finding defense deep in the draft. WR is what we struggle with. If Parker, DGB, or Strong are there at 15, we have to take WR. We can land DL and CB in the 2nd and 3rd.
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I'm all for getting o-line depth and I think anyone's line would be a mess if they had as many injuries as SF did last year....talent can be found all over the draft example: Boone was a UDFA and like you said Martin was a 2nd round pick and blows lol, so their are risks all over the draft.

Right baalke drafts good injured players, so why not let Thomas play next year instead of finding someone to take "his"spot after only being on the team for 1 year? Time to see what some of these value picks can do in starting roles (Thomas,Tank, and possibly Millard)

The issue last year, IMO was injured o-line and the fact the Roman/Harbs didn't change the game plan based on these injuries. They still ran 3 WR sets instead of 2 TE sets to help block, there was zero read-options and play actions that could have helped Kap move around, instead they tried to keep him in the pocket and pick apart secondaries when the pocket collapsed in 2 sec.

I'm fine with they going in the 3rd or 4th with OL because we already have starters in place for the line next year...DL is very important in our 3-4 and having a good rotation is needed.

As far as BPA at 15 I could see the following there...

Parker-He would fight for reps from day one and be at the very least #3 WR and more than likely #1 the following year (if we don't resign Boldin). We lost SJ, Crabs, and Lloyd and while I love the Smith pickup, Parker would be great for kap and his 80 inch wingspan and would be a monster in the red-zone. I see Alson Jeffery with this kid.

Trae Waynes-Best Cb in the draft and might not be there, but he would start from day one, I love his style He is tough and has the length/speed we like.

Bud Dupree- Stud pass rusher and has a motor on him, never have enough pass rush and we are one injury away from being awful at this position. Not sure what we will be doing with Brooks.

If those guys are gone that means OT falls to us then I wouldn't hate the pick but would prefer a trade down....I really hope we don't go after Arik Armstead at 15.
Alright we are moving forward at least. I'm ok to find out what we have in the injured guys. Tank, thomas, etc... I just caution and worried that if we don't address the line and we start to have some injuries, it could be a mess again. But with the defense, they had all the injuries and showed they can still produce.

Teams like dallas had a terrible D but they could still make noise because they have a beastly Oline. That's all I want. Return the Oline to being dominate and I think the Niners will be relevant again.

With the 15th pick, I don't like Parker. I'm normally screaming for wr, but Baalke has passed this over for awhile now and since he finally added Boldin and Torrey(FA's), I just don't see it. But since I don't see it, that sounds like typical Baalke.

Waynes would love. Don't know if he is shutdown corner but thought if we could find a stud, it might give us more options on D like Seattle does or New England did with Revis. Either way, I like waynes. Immediate impact and a cheap Corner for at least 4 years?

I will have to look at Dupree more. If we go away from OL I would like an OLB. My view on defense is that a good 3/4 is about the LB's, especially the OLB's. The DLine and MLB's are important as well but if the LB's are athletic and can blitz, than anyone of them can rush the QB and bring pressure. It becomes difficult for the QB and Oline to read before snap. Fangio used the 34 but i did feel like it was predictable. Always rushed with 3 and the pressure came from Aldon.

Drew Bree's on the 3/4: "You really have at least five rushers on the field at all times instead of four, with the ability to bring a lot of pressures where you've got all these hybrid guys on the field that, "Hey are they gonna rush the passer? You don't really want your running back blocking them. Are they dropping in coverage?" So they can be more multiple, I'd say, which can be more problematic for an offense."

I think an Oline wants nothing more than a defense to rush 4 Dline linemen. So they know exactly where the pressure is coming from and so they know their assignment.

Anyways, I would love an OLB, just have to decide which guy I like. and I don't like Armstead Either. Not impressed with what I see.

Lol nice I think we are on the same page

This draft (at the top) has some very good pass rushers and wide receivers, BPA lies in those positions IMO. I can't see Baalke passing on a talent like Parker at 15, it's a need and as far as not really going after it in past drafts, we were never in a position to grab one of the top 3 WRs in the draft. Trying to trade for OBJ, signing smith, and trying to make a stab at Harvin tells me he's trying to fix the WR position for the long haul, no more throwing together WR corps with old vets.

I also am a huge fan of Bryon Jones in the 2nd...I would love to see him and DJ as our outside CBs (long/tall CBs that will be cheap for a couple years... like you said).

Yeah check out Bud's highlights, he doesn't have the super long arms Baalke likes, but he is constant and has a motor....we will find out in a month what Trent does, and my money is on something we don't see coming lol.
  • All22
  • Veteran

This draft (at the top) has some very good pass rushers and wide receivers, BPA lies in those positions IMO. I can't see Baalke passing on a talent like Parker at 15, it's a need and as far as not really going after it in past drafts, we were never in a position to grab one of the top 3 WRs in the draft. Trying to trade for OBJ, signing smith, and trying to make a stab at Harvin tells me he's trying to fix the WR position for the long haul, no more throwing together WR corps with old vets.

I also am a huge fan of Bryon Jones in the 2nd...I would love to see him and DJ as our outside CBs (long/tall CBs that will be cheap for a couple years... like you said).

Yeah check out Bud's highlights, he doesn't have the super long arms Baalke likes, but he is constant and has a motor....we will find out in a month what Trent does, and my money is on something we don't see coming lol.

I don't think Baalke was trying to fix the WR position long-term with Harvin, I think he was trying to add speed. That seems to be the theme of his FA moves on offense. Simpson ran a 4.42 as did Torey Smith, and we all know Reggie Bush is fast. Look for that Trent to continue in the draft. Chris Conley in the mid rounds or Waller/Smelter/theotherGTguy I can't remember.
Originally posted by All22:

I don't think Baalke was trying to fix the WR position long-term with Harvin, I think he was trying to add speed. That seems to be the theme of his FA moves on offense. Simpson ran a 4.42 as did Torey Smith, and we all know Reggie Bush is fast. Look for that Trent to continue in the draft. Chris Conley in the mid rounds or Waller/Smelter/theotherGTguy I can't remember.

True...Well I would like to ad someone that can be a true red-zone threat in the draft. Not a fan of Conley to be honest....and I'd rather not touch and GT Tech WR lol.
  • crew
  • Veteran
Since there is no value available to Niners at #15 in DL, the obvious path for Baalke is to trade down into the 20's, get an extra 2nd/3rd Rd pick and take either Peters or Darby for their future shutdown corner ( sorry, Tremaine Brock is not it).
[ Edited by crew on Mar 24, 2015 at 7:07 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone