LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 199 users in the forums

Waller vs. DGB vs. Funchess for value

Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
I can answer your questions on Waller as I am a huge ga tech fan so I've seen every one of his games. Tbh Waller wasn't even the best receiver on his team. Deandre Smelter was seen as ga techs number one option in the passing game. Smelter not only can high point the ball in the air but he does his best work with the ball in his hands with yac. Smelter as basic as his route running was, was usually asked to run more routes than Waller as well.

Waller is the guy that everybody talks about in the off season. Every off season people wanted to know when his size and speed would translate to him becoming the next Demaryius Thomas or Stephen Hill. People thought it would be 2013 when Hill was gone but that is when Smelter a virtual unknown at the time broke out. Waller has shown a flash here and there but it wasn't until Smelter tore his acl late this past season that Waller stepped up. Timing is everything and he became the top target when he needed to be against Georgia and Miss state. But that small window of consistency is what worries me. He just hasnt shown the ability to play at a high level consistency but he does offer intriguing physical gifts for a patient team willing to endorse time with him.

His skill set is very basic. He works the sidelines very well. Hes great at using his size to make contested catches. He knows how to use that 6-5 frame to go up and get the ball. He tends to be very dangerous in the red zone. He also is a willing and terrific blocker like all receivers that come out of Tech's triple option attack.

That's the extent of his game right now though. He is clueless to a NFL route tree. He was pretty much used for deep fly routes. He would be asked to run straightline routes so they could chuck the ball up to him. Every blue moon he'd catch a screen or run a hitch route. That's about it.

So there you have it. If a team is willing to invest time and coaching the talent is there. The size is there. He just hasn't put it all together yet. At the very least he provides intrigue as a red zone prescence.

Waller gets up to top speed incredibly fast and his monstrous size and soft hands are hard to ignore. But the thing is.. the monstrous holes in his game are hard to ignore too. Horrendous blocker, very limited knowledge and experience in running the NFL route tree, very straight line player who does not exhibit sufficient lateral agility, in my view, for a mid-round receiver. I'd be willing to invest a 6th rounder, 5th round compensatory pick at most. This is due to the fact that I expect there to be so many better players available there, whether current value or expected future value in terms of potential.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Waller gets up to top speed incredibly fast and his monstrous size and soft hands are hard to ignore. But the thing is.. the monstrous holes in his game are hard to ignore too. Horrendous blocker, very limited knowledge and experience in running the NFL route tree, very straight line player who does not exhibit sufficient lateral agility, in my view, for a mid-round receiver. I'd be willing to invest a 6th rounder, 5th round compensatory pick at most. This is due to the fact that I expect there to be so many better players available there, whether current value or expected future value in terms of potential.

I agree on the draft position. He just hasnt showed me the any kind of consistency to be drafted higher than that and had Smelter not got injured nobody would really be talking about Waller.

I do have to disagree that he's a horrendous blocker though. That's actually one of his strengths. He has more experience blocking than he does catching the football. Aside from the fact that receivers block 80-85 % of the time in ga techs system, if you cant block then you dont play. Now that could also mean from which dynamic your talking about though. As a receiver he is above average and can really hold his own on the perimeter, now as a tight end, that's totally different. Being that he's never been asked to inline block or had to really block people bigger than him, there would defiantly have to be an adjustment period there.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Mar 25, 2015 at 1:18 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone