There are 191 users in the forums

Waller vs. DGB vs. Funchess for value

Now that we have Torrey Smith for the speed, I keep thinking of guys like Parker to fill the other side. There are even bigger receivers who could be good in the red zone that will be available after pick 15. Waller, DGB, and Funchess all have very comparable size and tools. Which would provide the best value at where they would need to be selected? Waller, later, seems like the value pick. I haven't seen much of him, though. Seems they could all play a little TE as well, if they are badas*.
  • crew
  • Veteran
If Vernon and Vance come back healthy as well as having just resigned Derek Carrier, drafting a TE not a high priority this year, more so next. I want Dezmin Lewis WR 6'4" in the 3rd Rd this year.
Originally posted by crew:
If Vernon and Vance come back healthy as well as having just resigned Derek Carrier, drafting a TE not a high priority this year, more so next. I want Dezmin Lewis WR 6'4" in the 3rd Rd this year.

I like this idea for a value pick. The Niners have too many needs up front and at ILB to go WR early.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

I like this idea for a value pick. The Niners have too many needs up front and at ILB to go WR early.

I'd like Dez Lewis as well. Do you think that we would have to take him around that spot, or is there anyway he falls to the 4th round?

Good call!

Waller could be a steal in later rounds.

BUTTT we need Dline help.

Even if Justin returns; it will be for only one season and Dockett isn't a young guy. We need to get, IMO, a DL pass rusher or a guy that can collapse the pocket.
  • crew
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GorefullBore:

I'd like Dez Lewis as well. Do you think that we would have to take him around that spot, or is there anyway he falls to the 4th round?

Only reason I said 3rd Rd for Niners pick is that their two 4th Rd picks are at the bottom of the round and really see Dezmin to be taken by mid 4th.
Seems similar to Matavius Bryant last year who went in the 4th.
Originally posted by Murphys1:
Now that we have Torrey Smith for the speed, I keep thinking of guys like Parker to fill the other side. There are even bigger receivers who could be good in the red zone that will be available after pick 15. Waller, DGB, and Funchess all have very comparable size and tools. Which would provide the best value at where they would need to be selected? Waller, later, seems like the value pick. I haven't seen much of him, though. Seems they could all play a little TE as well, if they are badas*.

Parker and then DGB at 15. However, I'm hoping we trade our 1st and 4th rounder to move up to 10-11 where Amari Cooper will be sitting for the taking!!
what about devin smith?
Originally posted by ilikecows699:
what about devin smith?

Like. Great ball skills.
Why reach wr has been a issue for the past 4 season get dgb....at 15 ...then get a ilb...at 43 & the 3rd ..with a 4thpick get waller....trade patton....he is garbage

I was so against DGB for the longest time, but after seeing his combine I am convinced we should take the risk and draft him 15. Physically he is head and shoulders above every rec out there. He is 4-5 inches taller that cooper, parker ect. We have had such a crazy offseason I dont want to waste trading up. Just risk it and draft DGB.
Originally posted by ilikecows699:
what about devin smith?

I was high on him before the Smith signing, great at tracking deep balls and making adjustments. I believe he scored a TD every 3 x's in touch the ball last year lol

Not sure we jump on him after the Smith signing though very similar players.
Originally posted by 15crabtree:
Why reach wr has been a issue for the past 4 season get dgb....at 15 ...then get a ilb...at 43 & the 3rd ..with a 4thpick get waller....trade patton....he is garbage

ILB in the 2nd and 3rd??? Come on now....they need help along the DL/OL as well. IF they go WR in the 1st look for a ton of defense the rest of the draft.
I can answer your questions on Waller as I am a huge ga tech fan so I've seen every one of his games. Tbh Waller wasn't even the best receiver on his team. Deandre Smelter was seen as ga techs number one option in the passing game. Smelter not only can high point the ball in the air but he does his best work with the ball in his hands with yac. Smelter as basic as his route running was, was usually asked to run more routes than Waller as well.

Waller is the guy that everybody talks about in the off season. Every off season people wanted to know when his size and speed would translate to him becoming the next Demaryius Thomas or Stephen Hill. People thought it would be 2013 when Hill was gone but that is when Smelter a virtual unknown at the time broke out. Waller has shown a flash here and there but it wasn't until Smelter tore his acl late this past season that Waller stepped up. Timing is everything and he became the top target when he needed to be against Georgia and Miss state. But that small window of consistency is what worries me. He just hasnt shown the ability to play at a high level consistency but he does offer intriguing physical gifts for a patient team willing to endorse time with him.

His skill set is very basic. He works the sidelines very well. Hes great at using his size to make contested catches. He knows how to use that 6-5 frame to go up and get the ball. He tends to be very dangerous in the red zone. He also is a willing and terrific blocker like all receivers that come out of Tech's triple option attack.

That's the extent of his game right now though. He is clueless to a NFL route tree. He was pretty much used for deep fly routes. He would be asked to run straightline routes so they could chuck the ball up to him. Every blue moon he'd catch a screen or run a hitch route. That's about it.

So there you have it. If a team is willing to invest time and coaching the talent is there. The size is there. He just hasn't put it all together yet. At the very least he provides intrigue as a red zone prescence.
Originally posted by ayleswbj11:
I was so against DGB for the longest time, but after seeing his combine I am convinced we should take the risk and draft him 15. Physically he is head and shoulders above every rec out there. He is 4-5 inches taller that cooper, parker ect. We have had such a crazy offseason I dont want to waste trading up. Just risk it and draft DGB.

One thing for sure, it wouldn't be the smartest choice BUTTT it sure would be exciting!!
Share 49ersWebzone