• Craig Dahl
  • Aldon Smith
  • Colin Kaepernick

Retire
  • Patrick Willis
  • Justin Smith
  • Chris Borland

Sign
  • Shareece Wright, CB- Depth at cornerback that will compete for a spot on the roster. Could add speed to the defense.
  • Jarryd Hayne, RB- Former rugby star. Has carrying ability and natural talent, just a matter of learning American football. I think he can contribute on special teams fairly quickly which may earn him a roster spot at some point in the season.
  • Darnell Docket, DT- Great player, who is past his prime, will be a great leader on the defense and will contribute in a big way replacing RayMac.
  • Reggie Bush, RB- Adds a different dimension to the running back position. Change of pace back that can catch the ball out of the backfield and line up in the slot. Injury history but also a productive history
  • Jerome Simpson, WR- Depth at the receiver position. Will take Lloyd's place in last year's offense in my opinion and be a nice deep threat.
  • Erik Pears, OT/OG- Versatile veteran that can play 4 positions on the offensive line. He'll take Jonathan Martin's spot.
  • Torrey Smith, WR- Finally, the exact receiver we've needed for years. Add another dimension to the offense with his speed and tracking ability. He will open up space in the middle for Anquan and Vernon.

Draft

TRADE BACK (15th overall for Bengals' 21st overall and 3rd round pick. Bengals trade up for Bud Dupree)

1. Ronald Darby, CB, Florida State, 5-11 193
-Extremely athletic and fluid with track star speed. He has the potential to be a lock-down cornerback in the NFL and he can start from day one. Some questions about his willingness against the run, but I think those are unfounded. Teams routinely avoided his side even though there was another high draft pick (PJ Williams) on the other side. He's my 1b to Marcus Peters' 1a. Trae Waynes ranked 3rd barely behind those too and Kevin Johnson/Byron Jones as 4/5.

2. Preston Smith, DE/DT, Mississippi State, 6-5 271
-Long armed, athletic lineman who played all over the line at Mississippi State. Uses hands and long arms to his advantage when stopping the run and can provide occasional pass rush. I think he can develop into a stud 5-tech.

3. Ali Marpet, OG/OT, Hobart, 6-4 307
-Quick, strong, versatile lineman who had a great showing at the combine and the senior bowl. The one big knock on him was the level of competition, but he helped himself in that regard with a strong showing at the senior bowl.

3 (trade).Tre McBride, WR, William & Mary, 6-0 210
-Great size for the position. He physically dominated opponents in school and ran a great time at the combine (4.41). Has exceptional hands and routinely makes circus catches. Ability to catch in traffic and absorb hits fearlessly. This may make him a slot receiver candidate in the future.

4. Jake Ryan, LB, Michigan, 6-2 240
-Moved from the outside to the inside and proved that he can play a multitude of linebacker positions at a high level. Known as a huge film guy and loves the game. Tough, physical linebacker with good straight-line speed and is a team player. He can compete for Willis'/Borland's spot in the starting lineup with Wilhoite and I think he can win it. Baalke has proven he can take great middle linebackers in the middle rounds, and I think he continues that trend here. He has Wilhoite and Moody as depth in case the doesn't work out.

4 (comp). Sean Mannion, QB, Oregon State, 6-6 229
-Tall quarterback who ran a pro-style offense and had a lot of responsibility at the line of scrimmage. Not much mobility outside of the pocket but seems pretty comfortable with his movements within it. Doesn't have the strongest arm, but can make all the throws required with great accuracy. Can be a great developmental quarterback for Steve Logan.

5. Rory "Busta" Anderson, TE, South Carolina, 6-5 244
-Besides having a great name, Busta has good decent speed to go along with great catching ability in traffic and a great willingness in blocking for a player with a slight frame for a tight end. He falls a bit due to injury concerns and his status as a "tweener" tight end between being an inline or a slot.

6. Tevin McDonald, S, Eastern Washington, 5-11 195
-Tim McDonald's other son. Tevin has a bunch of physical tools but was kicked out of UCLA for failing drug tests. Could be a nice late-round flier who may want to get his s*%$ together and follow in his father's footsteps.

7. Shaquille Riddick, OLB, West Virginia, 6-6 242
-Extremely fast off the line and was a bit of a one trick pony in college (think Bruce Irvin on the same defense). However, he can definitely stand to add weight on his frame and be a nice project to add some situational pass rush.

7(comp). Deontay Greenberry, WR, Houston, 6-3 198
-Tall, lanky receiver who can stand to add some more muscle to his frame. Very raw right now, but has good hands to make great catches, solid speed for a tall receiver, and has fearlessness going across the middle. Good developmental receiver late in the draft.

2015 Depth Chart

QB- Kaepernick, Gabbert, Mannion
HB- Hyde, Bush, Hunter, Hayne
FB- Millard
WR- Boldin, T Smith, Ellington, Patton, McBride
TE- V Davis, McDonald, Carrier
LT- Staley
LG- Thomas, Marpet
C- Kilgore, M Martin
RG- Boone
RT- A Davis, Pears
LE- Carradine, Jerod-Eddie, Dial
NT- Dorsey, Williams
RE- Docket, P Smith, Okoye
ROLB- A Smith, Lemonier
MLB- Bowman, Ryan, Wilhoite, Moody
LOLB- Lynch, Brooks
RCB- Brock, Cook, Reaser
LCB- Darby, D Johnson
NCB- Ward
FS- Reid, McCray
SS- Bethea, Dahl
K- Dawson
P- Lee
LS- Nelson

Practice Squad

RB- Corey Grant (UDFA)
FB- Conner Neighbors (UDFA)
WR- Deontay Greenberry
TE- Busta Anderson
OL- Dillon Farrell
DT- Kaleb Ramsey
LB- Shaquille Riddick
CB- Kenneth Acker
S- Tevin McDonald
[ Edited by Cooper22 on Mar 18, 2015 at 10:59 AM ]
Originally posted by Cooper22:
Free Agency

Resign
  • Kyle Nelson
  • Josh Johnson
  • Blaine Gabbert
  • Chris Cook

Cut
  • Marcus Cromartie
  • Jonathan Martin
  • Joe Looney
  • Stevie Johnson
  • Bruce Miller

Restructure
  • Craig Dahl
  • Aldon Smith
  • Colin Kaepernick

Retire
  • Patrick Willis
  • Justin Smith
  • Chris Borland

Sign
  • Shareece Wright, CB- Depth at cornerback that will compete for a spot on the roster. Could add speed to the defense.
  • Jarryd Hayne, RB- Former rugby star. Has carrying ability and natural talent, just a matter of learning American football. I think he can contribute on special teams fairly quickly which may earn him a roster spot at some point in the season.
  • Darnell Docket, DT- Great player, who is past his prime, will be a great leader on the defense and will contribute in a big way replacing RayMac.
  • Reggie Bush, RB- Adds a different dimension to the running back position. Change of pace back that can catch the ball out of the backfield and line up in the slot. Injury history but also a productive history
  • Jerome Simpson, WR- Depth at the receiver position. Will take Lloyd's place in last year's offense in my opinion and be a nice deep threat.
  • Erik Pears, OT/OG- Versatile veteran that can play 4 positions on the offensive line. He'll take Jonathan Martin's spot.
  • Torrey Smith, WR- Finally, the exact receiver we've needed for years. Add another dimension to the offense with his speed and tracking ability. He will open up space in the middle for Anquan and Vernon.

Draft

TRADE BACK (15th overall for Bengals' 21st overall and 3rd round pick. Bengals trade up for Bud Dupree)

1. Ronald Darby, CB, Florida State, 5-11 193
-Extremely athletic and fluid with track star speed. He has the potential to be a lock-down cornerback in the NFL and he can start from day one. Some questions about his willingness against the run, but I think those are unfounded. Teams routinely avoided his side even though there was another high draft pick (PJ Williams) on the other side. He's my 1b to Marcus Peters' 1a. Trae Waynes ranked 3rd barely behind those too and Kevin Johnson/Byron Jones as 4/5.

2. Preston Smith, DE/DT, Mississippi State, 6-5 271
-Long armed, athletic lineman who played all over the line at Mississippi State. Uses hands and long arms to his advantage when stopping the run and can provide occasional pass rush. I think he can develop into a stud 5-tech.

3. Ali Marpet, OG/OT, Hobart, 6-4 307
-Quick, strong, versatile lineman who had a great showing at the combine and the senior bowl. The one big knock on him was the level of competition, but he helped himself in that regard with a strong showing at the senior bowl.

3 (trade).Tre McBride, WR, William & Mary, 6-0 210
-Great size for the position. He physically dominated opponents in school and ran a great time at the combine (4.41). Has exceptional hands and routinely makes circus catches. Ability to catch in traffic and absorb hits fearlessly. This may make him a slot receiver candidate in the future.

4. Jake Ryan, LB, Michigan, 6-2 240
-Moved from the outside to the inside and proved that he can play a multitude of linebacker positions at a high level. Known as a huge film guy and loves the game. Tough, physical linebacker with good straight-line speed and is a team player. He can compete for Willis'/Borland's spot in the starting lineup with Wilhoite and I think he can win it. Baalke has proven he can take great middle linebackers in the middle rounds, and I think he continues that trend here. He has Wilhoite and Moody as depth in case the doesn't work out.

4 (comp). Sean Mannion, QB, Oregon State, 6-6 229
-Tall quarterback who ran a pro-style offense and had a lot of responsibility at the line of scrimmage. Not much mobility outside of the pocket but seems pretty comfortable with his movements within it. Doesn't have the strongest arm, but can make all the throws required with great accuracy. Can be a great developmental quarterback for Steve Logan.

5. Rory "Busta" Anderson, TE, South Carolina, 6-5 244
-Besides having a great name, Busta has good decent speed to go along with great catching ability in traffic and a great willingness in blocking for a player with a slight frame for a tight end. He falls a bit due to injury concerns and his status as a "tweener" tight end between being an inline or a slot.

6. Tevin McDonald, S, Eastern Washington, 5-11 195
-Tim McDonald's other son. Tevin has a bunch of physical tools but was kicked out of UCLA for failing drug tests. Could be a nice late-round flier who may want to get his s*%$ together and follow in his father's footsteps.

7. Shaquille Riddick, OLB, West Virginia, 6-6 242
-Extremely fast off the line and was a bit of a one trick pony in college (think Bruce Irvin on the same defense). However, he can definitely stand to add weight on his frame and be a nice project to add some situational pass rush.

7(comp). Deontay Greenberry, WR, Houston, 6-3 198
-Tall, lanky receiver who can stand to add some more muscle to his frame. Very raw right now, but has good hands to make great catches, solid speed for a tall receiver, and has fearlessness going across the middle. Good developmental receiver late in the draft.

Nice to see a couple different names! I like the trade down but a 3rd (according to the draft value sheet) would not favor us. I bet they could squeeze a 2nd if the Beagles are high on Bud, if not I'd stay at 15 or look at trading with someone else.

• Darby- according to Cbs sports is a 3rd-4th round pick and 21 is wayyy to high. I do think he is better than a 3rd round pick, but in no way would I want him at 21 with a list of better prospects sitting there. Also if Moore is signed CB take a step down as a top need for us.
  • Smith- is a Baalke pick for sure, I would be happy to grab him in the 2nd.
  • Tre McBride- I haven't really watched too much tape on him, but I've read he has issues getting separation how much of a issue would that be in the NFL? I'd like Lockett in the 3rd, he run amazing routes and I could him being a real issue for the LOB.
  • Busta- is projected as a UDFA, not sure why they would spend a 5th on him?
  • I'd rather grab a UDFA QB in this draft class then spend a 4th or Sean...pass.

Good write up...thanks!
Nice mock
Great Mock. Love the Darby pick he is a 1st rounder for sure he is a less polished Jason Verrett. And if we get Riddick in the 7th I would be extatic. Only picks I dislike is Mannion and McDonald but all in all I dig this draft.
Is Greenberry really likely to go in the 7th?! He looked really good from the film I watched. Looked like a potential sleeper.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Great Mock. Love the Darby pick he is a 1st rounder for sure he is a less polished Jason Verrett. And if we get Riddick in the 7th I would be extatic. Only picks I dislike is Mannion and McDonald but all in all I dig this draft.

Really? How many CBs do you think have 1st round grades? I have 7 other CBs ahead of him....he would be a big reach in the 1st.
I like Darby, but I don't have him close to being a 1st rd corner. I actually feel like he'd be available for us in the 3rd. His teammate, PJ Williams, has more of a chance to be taken in the late 1st/2nd.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

Really? How many CBs do you think have 1st round grades? I have 7 other CBs ahead of him....he would be a big reach in the 1st.

Originally posted by AsianJeff:
I like Darby, but I don't have him close to being a 1st rd corner. I actually feel like he'd be available for us in the 3rd. His teammate, PJ Williams, has more of a chance to be taken in the late 1st/2nd.

Darby is my 2nd rated cornerback only slightly behind Peters. I think in the weeks leading up in the draft, he'll be more widely seen as a first round pick. Frankly, having my trade back to 21 worries me that he will be picked before then.
Nice to see a couple different names! I like the trade down but a 3rd (according to the draft value sheet) would not favor us. I bet they could squeeze a 2nd if the Beagles are high on Bud, if not I'd stay at 15 or look at trading with someone else.

• Darby- according to Cbs sports is a 3rd-4th round pick and 21 is wayyy to high. I do think he is better than a 3rd round pick, but in no way would I want him at 21 with a list of better prospects sitting there. Also if Moore is signed CB take a step down as a top need for us.
  • Smith- is a Baalke pick for sure, I would be happy to grab him in the 2nd.
  • Tre McBride- I haven't really watched too much tape on him, but I've read he has issues getting separation how much of a issue would that be in the NFL? I'd like Lockett in the 3rd, he run amazing routes and I could him being a real issue for the LOB.
  • Busta- is projected as a UDFA, not sure why they would spend a 5th on him?
  • I'd rather grab a UDFA QB in this draft class then spend a 4th or Sean...pass.

Good write up...thanks!

I think the combine helped McBride out a lot. Some questions over his straight line speed we alleviated a little with his stellar 40 time. I think his strength and toughness would make him a great slot candidate if he doesn't pan out on the outside. I also think Busta Anderson will be drafted on sheer talent alone. That's just me, but all it takes is one team to like a player.
Originally posted by dompernick53:
Is Greenberry really likely to go in the 7th?! He looked really good from the film I watched. Looked like a potential sleeper.

He could be taken before, but I think he might fall from where he should go just because he is so raw and may need 2-3 years in the league before potentially making an impact on a roster. Definitely one of my sleeper guys to keep an eye on though.

Al Davis approves.
Darby is my 2nd rated cornerback only slightly behind Peters. I think in the weeks leading up in the draft, he'll be more widely seen as a first round pick. Frankly, having my trade back to 21 worries me that he will be picked before then.
Why do you have him rated as your 2nd CB? Just curious maybe you see something I don't. He is suspect against the run and that's what the NFC West does. He has baby hands and that's a issue when deflecting balls, INTs etc...I understand his combine numbers were good but I'm a Noles fan and P.J was better than him. I like his value in the late 2nd or 3rd, but I don't see him as a 1st round talent Imo.
I think the combine helped McBride out a lot. Some questions over his straight line speed we alleviated a little with his stellar 40 time. I think his strength and toughness would make him a great slot candidate if he doesn't pan out on the outside. I also think Busta Anderson will be drafted on sheer talent alone. That's just me, but all it takes is one team to like a player.
We have speed with Smith I'd like a bigger body at WR if you were to grab one in the top 3 rounds. He is basically the same size as Patton.
Why do you have him rated as your 2nd CB? Just curious maybe you see something I don't. He is suspect against the run and that's what the NFC West does. He has baby hands and that's a issue when deflecting balls, INTs etc...I understand his combine numbers were good but I'm a Noles fan and P.J was better than him. I like his value in the late 2nd or 3rd, but I don't see him as a 1st round talent Imo.
We have speed with Smith I'd like a bigger body at WR if you were to grab one in the top 3 rounds. He is basically the same size as Patton.

I think Darby is way more athletic and a better cover corner than PJ Williams. Teams avoided Darby, which is why Williams stands out more watching games.

McBride plays much bigger than his height. He's 210 pounds of muscle and uses it well. He can go up and grab the ball with the best of them and is great catching the ball in traffic. I see where you're coming from with the height thing but I don't see much value in any taller receivers in this draft besides DGB and he'll be gone round 1.
CB in the 1st would be a huge reach this crop is not as good as last year we can wait until mid rounds
I think Darby is way more athletic and a better cover corner than PJ Williams. Teams avoided Darby, which is why Williams stands out more watching games.

McBride plays much bigger than his height. He's 210 pounds of muscle and uses it well. He can go up and grab the ball with the best of them and is great catching the ball in traffic. I see where you're coming from with the height thing but I don't see much value in any taller receivers in this draft besides DGB and he'll be gone round 1.

And that's why I'd rather have DGB in your trade down, you could still grab Smith in 2nd then Trade both 3rds to move up for someone like Darby or Jones( I still think Darby will be there in the 3rd). I think we are fine at o-line and just need to get healthy. We drafted two in the 3rd round last year.... time to let them battle it out for the one starting spot at LG.
Share 49ersWebzone