LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 274 users in the forums

TexasNiner's "Baalke gonna Baalke" Mock Draft

Some notes before the selections.

This mock is derived from what I think Baalke is likely to do based several factors.

First, most of the players selected are ones we have met with. In past drafts 50-60% or more of the players we have drafted are players we have met with. Especially ones from the mid to later rounds. Drafted players we didn't meet with were usually known commodities (high round picks, local products, from schools where our coaches have ties, etc.., so we were likely to already have info on them).

Second, I used the list of players we have met with to try and see what positions we were most interested in and therefor, combined with what we have (or haven't) done in FA what positions we may be more or less likely to target. For example, we have met with multiple DE, G, CB and WR, so those positions are likely a priority. We have met with very few OTs, or QBs, so we may not be targeting those areas as highly. We met with a couple 3rd roundish ILBs (even before the Borland news), so it seems like that may be the time we are looking to address that need. None of that is an exact science, but I used it as a basis for possible targets.

Third, rankings are based on a composite of 5 different ranking sites/people (including MD and AB for the top 150), so if you think someone is "way too high/low" take it up with the "experts". In most cases there was a general consensus. No one is taken more than half a round above/below the consensus ranking.

Fourth, this isn't what I would do, or want, it's what I think Baalke may do based on his past performances and trends (where he drafts certain positions, who we have/haven't met with, what we have done in FA, etc..) Baalke has shown certain trends, and hopefully is aware of his success/failures. (Very good a drafting D early, not so hot with skill positions on O early on, but has had better luck with mid round players, likes taking chances on players switching positions and/or coming off injuries in later rounds.) Also, factoring in some of our younger players who haven't contributed yet, but fit that mold. (like Brandon Thomas).

Fifth, for a couple players, there are question marks about how early they could go. My second round pick, Marcus Peters is probably the biggest one like this. My reasoning is as follows. First, his overall ranking puts him at about 32, the very end of the 1st round. That's where many mocks have him going. Some have him falling past us in the 2nd. I think either one is entirely possible. However, I don't think it matters. I have a hunch he is a guy Baalke really likes and would be willing to trade up to get him. I don't know if it will be necessary, because this year in particular anyone with any character questions may fall, but it only takes about a 3rd rounder to go from the middle of the second round to the bottom of the first. With all the comp picks we are in line for next year, I think Baalke will be fairly liberal about trading away 2016 picks to move around in this draft if needed. So, whether it's moving up to the bottom of the first, top of the second or just a few spots, if he needs to trade up to get Peters, he will. Similarly, if he doesn't think Anthony will last until our 3rd round pick, he won't be afraid to move up and we will have more than enough ammunition to do so without sacrificing picks in this year's draft.

All that being said....here are the picks:

1 Alvin Dupree, DE, Kentucky

2 Marcus Peters, CB, Washington

3 Stephone Anthony, ILB, Clemson

4 Jeremy Langford, RB, Michican State

4 Josh Harper, WR, Fresno State

5 Jerimiah Poutasi, G, Utah

6 Quandre Diggs, CB, Texas

6 Tavaris Barnes, DE, Clemson

7 Ben Beckwith, G, Mississippi State

Potential UDFAs

Shane McDermott, C, Miami