There are 258 users in the forums

Drafting 2 inside linebackers in the 2nd round

• bors
  • Veteran
because it would be exciting lol..dont get me wrong. totally understand that with bowman . both rookies would never see the field lol. this is just one of those what if posts.i do feel we need to get a bit bigger on the inside. to many bad match ups with te. also i am not a whilhote fan. so i would not be upset. unless we passed on shelton at dt. but if we could trade back and still land a great de / d tackle. then get two picks in the 2nd. would be happy
Originally posted by bors:
because it would be exciting lol..dont get me wrong. totally understand that with bowman . both rookies would never see the field lol. this is just one of those what if posts.i do feel we need to get a bit bigger on the inside. to many bad match ups with te. also i am not a whilhote fan. so i would not be upset. unless we passed on shelton at dt. but if we could trade back and still land a great de / d tackle. then get two picks in the 2nd. would be happy

I don't want to be mean, but that is one of the dumbest things we could do. So your saying that both 2nd round picks might not even see the field and your fine with that

Please read from some of our more football savvy posters on this topic http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/181845-great-inside-linebackers-luxury/

ILB is probably the least important position in our defense. What do you hate about Wilhoite? He isn't a pro-bowler, but he does his job and he was more than fine filling in for Bowman last year and Willis for half the year prior. Baalke finds LBs to fill-in all the time and for the most part our defense doesn't take a step back, prefect example is this past season....

None of these rookies are 1st round studs and none of them really excel in coverage. This is a weak class at ILB, drafting two when there's a ton of other talent that WOULD start is not a smart move at all!

They have ONE TE to really worry about in Graham and we have Bowman and two very very good safeties to help, another way to help is to get a solid pass rush on Seattle's swiss cheese o-line.

If there's one thing Baalke knows it LB and CB, so I'm not worried about him finding value for either position in the draft.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 21, 2015 at 11:07 AM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I'm not a fan of McKinney as a ILB, maybe as a OLB or DE in a 3-4. I just don't see him as that sideline to sideline player like Anthony or Perryman.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
You do know ILB is probably one of the least important positions in our 3-4 defense right? Look at all the players that took over for our injured pro-bowlers...grant/borland/wilhoite to name a few played very well. Its all about the DL. Bowman looks to be heading in the right direction (just saw video of him playing bball) so a rookie will battle it out with MW. Baalke will find some good depth at ILB in the 3rd and 4th round.

There is zero chance he drafts two ILBs in the top two rounds...

My thoughts exactly!
  • bors
  • Veteran

I don't want to be mean, but that is one of the dumbest things we could do. So your saying that both 2nd round picks might not even see the field and your fine with that

Please read from some of our more football savvy posters on this topic http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/181845-great-inside-linebackers-luxury/

ILB is probably the least important position in our defense. What do you hate about Wilhoite? He isn't a pro-bowler, but he does his job and he was more than fine filling in for Bowman last year and Willis for half the year prior. Baalke finds LBs to fill-in all the time and for the most part our defense doesn't take a step back, prefect example is this past season....

None of these rookies are 1st round studs and none of them really excel in coverage. This is a weak class at ILB, drafting two when there's a ton of other talent that WOULD start is not a smart move at all!

They have ONE TE to really worry about in Graham and we have Bowman and two very very good safeties to help, another way to help is to get a solid pass rush on Seattle's swiss cheese o-line.

If there's one thing Baalke knows it LB and CB, so I'm not worried about him finding value for either position in the draft.

never said it would be smart...hell i didnt even start this thread. its more along the lines of if we did. and if somthing like that did happen(which it most likely will not). so basically i was just posting on this subject matter as it is the offseason and i am bored at work. it beats just saying oh thats a stupid idea. it will never happen . why do theese threads exsist .. i just like to day dream about the positives it could bring on an otherwise bleh saturday morning.

as far as whilote is concernred. hate is a strong word. i would say its more of a lack of confidence. i feel he brings basic skills. but lacks the abilaty to really impact the game. teams would run at him as opossed to away. fell he is better in short burst (kind of like craig dahl but not that exetreme.)

i also enjoyed when we had the best 3 -4 lb line up out there. with willis gone . and bowman coming back(will he be ready? will he be next to retire?).

as far as draft picks not seeing the field. hell we should all be used to that after the last few years.

come draft day i will be excited about whoever we pick up.... even better if they get some playing time and lay some seahawks on there ass.

thats the great thing about opinions

never said it would be smart...hell i didnt even start this thread. its more along the lines of if we did. and if somthing like that did happen(which it most likely will not). so basically i was just posting on this subject matter as it is the offseason and i am bored at work. it beats just saying oh thats a stupid idea. it will never happen . why do theese threads exsist .. i just like to day dream about the positives it could bring on an otherwise bleh saturday morning.

as far as whilote is concernred. hate is a strong word. i would say its more of a lack of confidence. i feel he brings basic skills. but lacks the abilaty to really impact the game. teams would run at him as opossed to away. fell he is better in short burst (kind of like craig dahl but not that exetreme.)

i also enjoyed when we had the best 3 -4 lb line up out there. with willis gone . and bowman coming back(will he be ready? will he be next to retire?).

as far as draft picks not seeing the field. hell we should all be used to that after the last few years.

come draft day i will be excited about whoever we pick up.... even better if they get some playing time and lay some seahawks on there ass.

thats the great thing about opinions

Right I get the "what if's" it's cool

I'm just stating my opinion on the matter as well
  • bors
  • Veteran
right , right ..its all good. i say we draft all linebakers ..erry pick. lets get cray.

tell you what draft cant come soon enough.i take four days off every year. my wife goes and visits her sister as well. . i need this break
This is interesting, 2 LBs. This would cover and shore up our lb core. But I see Baalke just taking one lb in the first three rounds. He might trade our 15th to get an extra 2nd or 3rd.
no...
  • cools
  • Veteran
None of the ILB's stand out to me, more faith that Moody/Skov will step up

"Drafting 2 inside linebackers in the 2nd round" aka "there is no clear cut no.1 ILB and I can't decide which one I like best"

The 49ers have too many needs to address ILB with consecutive early picks.
Share 49ersWebzone