LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 226 users in the forums

Drafting 2 inside linebackers in the 2nd round

• Kuya
  • Veteran
With the recent retirements of Patrick Willis and Chris Borland, and the uncertainty of Navarro Bowman (and our recent luck) and average outlook of Michael Wilhoite, inside linebacker shoots up to the top of our team needs. Especially with the linebacker position being the heart and soul of the modern 49ers.

The top 4 inside linebackers are all projected to go in the 2nd round. Eric Kendricks, Benardrick McKinney, Stephone Anthony, Paul Dawson.

Personally I like McKinney and Anthony because they are 6'3 and 6'4, while other 2 are 6'0. Adding McKinney and Anthony to the 6'4 Aldon Smith and 6'6 Aaron Lynch would make a GIANT and scary linebacker corps.

(we'd have to trade back to get a second 2nd rounder of course)
  • Kuya
  • Veteran
sorry wrong subforum, please move to draft war room
Kuya, I am with you 100% on this! Any combination of the four would be OK with me. I was stunned when I saw the news about Borland. Having had several concussions way back in High School myself, I can tell you that they are no joke. I STILL can't remember the 2nd half of a game I PLAYED IN during my senior year at Mills High, in 1993-94! So I can't blame Borland for his decision. After this latest bombshell, I believe we trade down or even out of the 1st round completely, just to ensure that we get at least one of these four young ILBS in the 2nd. Wouldn't be surprised if we did grab two of them. I would also not be shocked if they drafted Perryman from Miami. Wish I had NFL network down here in the Philippines!
It depends on Bowman IMO. If he is progressing well and will return at or near his usual level then I think this would be an overreaction. One high pick on the position and perhaps one 3rd day.

If Navorro isn't coming back, it's all hands to the pumps and panic time.

That being said, Baalke is looking for the best player/best value with each pick. No Reggie McGrew's!
  • Kuya
  • Veteran
Aldon Smith (6'4) Stephone Anthony (6'3) Benardrick McKinney (6'4) Aaron Lynch (6'6)

so much potential in a linebacker corps this monstrous

SEA will have the giant DBs, and we'll have the giant LBs
I like Perryman/Anthony (2nd) inside and McKinney (3rd) at OLB to replace Brooks.
[ Edited by strickac on Mar 17, 2015 at 4:49 PM ]
Originally posted by strickac:
I like Perryman/Anthony (2nd) inside and McKinney (3rd) at OLB to replace Brooks.

Brooks isn't going anywhere in 2015, and when he does leave, Aaron Lynch will likely replace him.

I like McKinney as an ILB, though. His height is unusual for the position, but it doesn't disqualify him from playing there.
Perryman should be the selection in the 2nd.
They'll see Bowman in minicamp, which we get to do before the draft (new HC), so they should be pretty well informed of his health prior to selecting in the draft. I'd be surprised if we took 2 ILBs before the 3rd day.
  • Kuya
  • Veteran
49ers already met with Stephone Anthony and now they planned a visit with Benardrick McKinney.

My prophecy coming true

Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Originally posted by strickac:

Brooks isn't going anywhere in 2015, and when he does leave, Aaron Lynch will likely replace him.

I like McKinney as an ILB, though. His height is unusual for the position, but it doesn't disqualify him from playing there.

I think we'll be looking hard to find another pass rusher at OLB. Beyond next year, Brooks and possibly Aldon will no longer be on the roster. We need players to groom and it's very hard to get them later in the draft. I'm not ruling out an OLB in the 1st.

McKinney is a little stiff to me as an ILB, but he has good size and some experience as a pass rusher. It would be an easy transition for him, provided the team feels he can learn to generate pressure consistently.
[ Edited by strickac on Mar 18, 2015 at 4:17 PM ]
No need for both in the 2nd round, but two in this draft would be nice.
You do know ILB is probably one of the least important positions in our 3-4 defense right? Look at all the players that took over for our injured pro-bowlers...grant/borland/wilhoite to name a few played very well. Its all about the DL. Bowman looks to be heading in the right direction (just saw video of him playing bball) so a rookie will battle it out with MW. Baalke will find some good depth at ILB in the 3rd and 4th round.

There is zero chance he drafts two ILBs in the top two rounds...
  • bors
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kuya:
Aldon Smith (6'4) Stephone Anthony (6'3) Benardrick McKinney (6'4) Aaron Lynch (6'6)

so much potential in a linebacker corps this monstrous

SEA will have the giant DBs, and we'll have the giant LBs

what if we trade back in the first (draft best de/tackle we can ). then spend both 2nd rounders on those two ilb.
Originally posted by bors:
what if we trade back in the first (draft best de/tackle we can ). then spend both 2nd rounders on those two ilb.

Why? That make no sense at all....DL is what makes our defense tick not ILB, plus we still have two good Lbs in Wilhote and Bowman.

I will if that happens.
Share 49ersWebzone