There are 255 users in the forums

Borland's retirement - top 5 ILB in draft

Originally posted by JCStormbringer:
Actually Ahmad Brooks played ILB before moving to the outside. My money is on him taking that spot and Aaron Lynch taking the OLB spot.

Reason why he was moved to OLB is because he wasn't very good playing inside. Isn't quick enough at the ILB spot and awareness lacking for plugging in holes.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by pd24:
Aaron Lynch was good against the run.
he was predominantly playing against the pass, iirc. Brooks is a proven allround-OLB, leave him there.

Lynch played more snaps than Brooks for the year and was a starter the whole year with Aldon out and even with Aldon back, brooks fell out of favor.
BOTTOM LINE Anthony has the athleticism to be an NFL linebacker, but he's not an explosive talent. He tries to get downhill and make plays, but more often it feels like he's guessing rather than instinctive. He'll take high-risk chances that will turn some coaches off. Anthony can make it in the league but he might be more of a depth-chart player than a long-time starter

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/stephone-anthony?id=2552321

That does not sound like a player Baalke would go for.
Originally posted by 49erDawgFan:
BOTTOM LINE Anthony has the athleticism to be an NFL linebacker, but he's not an explosive talent. He tries to get downhill and make plays, but more often it feels like he's guessing rather than instinctive. He'll take high-risk chances that will turn some coaches off. Anthony can make it in the league but he might be more of a depth-chart player than a long-time starter

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/stephone-anthony?id=2552321

That does not sound like a player Baalke would go for.

Carries an ideal frame for an inside 'backer, with thickness through the middle and broad shoulders, and he exhibits the explosive downhill first step and feisty demeanor to be a strong contributor in the box. He diagnoses early and does a good job of putting himself in position to make plays between the tackles against the run, and will hold his own when asked to drop back in short zone and cover the middle against the pass. As a tackler, he does a good job of extending and wrapping up below the waist to finish plays, and he prides himself on laying the occasional wallop without sacrificing technique.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1850724/stephone-anthony

Sound more like a Baalke type player?
[ Edited by Travisty13 on Mar 17, 2015 at 10:34 AM ]
Member Milestone: This is post number 2,400 for SFrush.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
My top 7

1. Dawson- playmaking machine. In nearly every big game this year, he either intercepted a ball, forced a fumble, caused an interception, made a key sack at a critical moment. Like Zach Thomas- best insticts of any defensive player in the draft,

2. Anthony- best looking athlete of the group. Fast, smooth, likes to attack the LOS. held up very well at Senior Bowl, and had a great combine. Might be the first ILB taken in the draft,

3. Kendricks- when you lead the nation in solo tackles, you have to be good, Instincts close to Dawson, athletically not on par with Anthony. Just good at everything. Smart, and never out of place.

4. Martrell Spaight- Your value linebacker of the group. Led the SEC in tackles on a defense that was on and off the field a LOT. Great instincts, tough, takes great angles, moves well in space. Arkansas basically runs a 4-2-5 defense, so he had to play through a lot of trash.

5. Benardrick McKinney- Not as high on him as many. Will go quickly in the draft. Very good athlete. Strong, and runs well through trash. Too upright for me, and lacks instincts to be a stud ILB in the NFL. It seems like some teams are maybe converting him to OLB or even DE. Watched a LOT of Mississippi St, and simply not sold he is second round value, which is where he will be taken. Only two games in 2014 where he posted 10 or more tackles.

6. Perryman- Good, not great football player. Loves thumping people. Productivity is lacking for a guy so highly rated. Like Borland and Spraight, shorter than what you typically want for an ILB.

7. Ramik Wilson- Another great athlete. Smooth on the field, All the tools. Tends to play down to his opponents, then spring up and have a huge game against key rivals. Probably a 4-5 rounder.
What do you mean? Mayock said at the combine he showed up all over the field when he watched him on tape.
I have a insider LB question didn't Borland play SAM same position as Bowman and Wilhoite played the Will? In saying that will Baalke be looking for a WILL in the draft, a LB that can take on guards and cover TE's something Borland was not very good at?
Lynch played more snaps than Brooks for the year and was a starter the whole year with Aldon out and even with Aldon back, brooks fell out of favor.
No. Lemonier was the starter at the beginning of the season. Then they switched to Lynch though I am very sure that Skuta was in on running downs before he went down for injury or whatever it was.
Baalke has been able to find very good LB type bodied and mentality players in the later rounds. I don't think he spends a high pick on a LB unless we are talking about Patrick Willis freakishness.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by communist:
No. Lemonier was the starter at the beginning of the season. Then they switched to Lynch though I am very sure that Skuta was in on running downs before he went down for injury or whatever it was.

Lynch still became a starter after a few weeks and he played more snaps than Brooks, so the point still stands, he was as good or better than Brooks against the run. Brooks the year before last was a monster but fell off big time last year, I don't see him getting better with age.
Nobody will probably agree with this but I'm curious if kwon Alexander can be coached up enough and gain a few pounds to play inside in a 3-4. He has the aggression, block shedding, athleticism, coverage skills and play making skill. His instincts need work and why I mention coaching. I'm a fan of his. Remember, they said bowman was just an outside lb in a 4-3 also. Thoughts? Any LSU fans?

Originally posted by gored49:
Nobody will probably agree with this but I'm curious if kwon Alexander can be coached up enough and gain a few pounds to play inside in a 3-4. He has the aggression, block shedding, athleticism, coverage skills and play making skill. His instincts need work and why I mention coaching. I'm a fan of his. Remember, they said bowman was just an outside lb in a 4-3 also. Thoughts? Any LSU fans?

I'm sure he's on the team's radar. Bowman was a way more decorated LB prospect at Penn St. than Kwon, but they definitely share a lot of physical traits.
Hopefully, we don't reach for one. History was more than shown that you don't have to spend a 1st round pick for ILB, especially in a 3-4.
Lynch still became a starter after a few weeks and he played more snaps than Brooks, so the point still stands, he was as good or better than Brooks against the run. Brooks the year before last was a monster but fell off big time last year, I don't see him getting better with age.
Our point could be reviewed by PFF stats.

you dont see how a player is getting better with age???
Originally posted by TheHYDE49er:
Hopefully, we don't reach for one. History was more than shown that you don't have to spend a 1st round pick for ILB, especially in a 3-4.
Patrick Willis says hello.
Share 49ersWebzone