LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 228 users in the forums

Eric Kendricks-ILB-UCLA

ILB, something it seemed like the 49ers were pretty stacked about a year ago has now become a major need. Out of all the ILB's in this draft, Kendricks is my favorite. Very well balanced as a linebacker, does well in coverage and could credibly step in alongside Bowman this season. Really can't go wrong with either Kendricks or Perryman but I give Kendricks the nod for his skills in coverage.

Intangibles-1-Team captain as a junior and senior. Mature and accountable. Upbeat and positive personality. Loves football. Vocal leader on defense. Son of Horace Kendricks and Yvonne Thagon. Horace was a running back for UCLA in the early 70s. Older brother Mychal Kendrick currently is a linebacker for the Philadelphia Eagles.

Instincts/Recognition-1-Makes a quick diagnosis against the run. Reads keys well and shows quick ball reaction on secondary read. Displays good patience and discipline as a backside run defender. Outstanding awareness in coverage. Also quick to sniff out screens.

Take-on Skills-3-Lacks ideal size and power. Doesn't possess a heavy punch and will never be consistent taking on linemen. Can do a better job of taking on blocks with proper shoulder positioning and with more consistency to maintain gap integrity. However, enters contact with quality leverage and is not afraid to fire his gun at the point of attack. Also flashes the ability to absorb contact and possesses quick hands to disengage.

Range vs. Run-2-Strong overall range. Above-average agility and redirect skills. Closes quickly and can make up ground in a hurry. Will occasionally get caught up in trash. Also, will take the easy route by going underneath blocks instead of working over the top to stay alive in the play. Loves to chase.

Tackling-2-Very effective tackler in tight quarters. Lacks ideal power but flashes ability to strike. More often than not does a nice job of wrapping up and securing tackles. Good patience in space. Plays fast but usually under control. Will get in trouble when he comes in high and hot on occasion.

3rd Down Capabilities-1-Easy mover in space, gets quality depth in drops and shows above-average overall range in underneath zone coverage. Has enough athleticism to keep tabs on most RBs in man coverage. Flashes playmaking instincts to get into throwing lanes. Finds and plays the ball extremely well. Very good ball skills for LB. Not a highly impactful blitzer. Flashes a quick closing burst but lacks ideal power and often turned away once initially picked up.
Right there with ya. Him, Perryman or Anthony would make me feel a little better. Just hope it doesn't have to be with our first cause they all ain't worth the 15th pick
2nd round
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
1st round IMO
Originally posted by Kolohe:
1st round IMO

This. I still see Kendricks as a late 1st rounder. If the 49ers went that way, they could trade down once or twice, add some picks, take him and then continue filling out the roster.

Anthony in the 2nd is another intriguing prospect. Love Anthony's athleticism and he has a nice build to be a 3-4 ILB.
Originally posted by Harbaalke:
2nd round

1st round IMO

Trade down into latw first?

Try and grab another second in order to adress lb, cb, wr, and dl in first three. Can't remember if we have more than one thirx or second rounder, if we do grab an ol to.
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
Trade down into latw first?

Try and grab another second in order to adress lb, cb, wr, and dl in first three. Can't remember if we have more than one thirx or second rounder, if we do grab an ol to.

No extra picks in the 2nd or 3rd, possibly a comp pick for Whitner in the 4th.

Just going by the standard trade value chart, here are some tradedown examples.

From PIck 15 to Pick 20=Pickup a mid 3rd round pick

From Pick 15 to Pick 25=Pickup a late 2nd round pick

From Pick 15 to Pick 30=Pickup a mid 2nd round pick OR a late 2nd round pick and a late 3rd round pick.
baalke is panicking, so he gonna pick a LB in the first round,
Originally posted by Rocket4989:
baalke is panicking, so he gonna pick a LB in the first round,

Thinking this isn't the face of a guy prone to panic.

I'm sure he'll find a way to make the best of the situation.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
1st round IMO

This. I still see Kendricks as a late 1st rounder. If the 49ers went that way, they could trade down once or twice, add some picks, take him and then continue filling out the roster.

Anthony in the 2nd is another intriguing prospect. Love Anthony's athleticism and he has a nice build to be a 3-4 ILB.

Kendricks is an explosive player, with good range, sideline to sideline player. I would love to get him if Baalke traded down and acquired another 2nd round pick, that way we can either move back up with the two 2nd rounders or get our potential starting CB and DT standing pat.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
It's unbelievable that an ILB isn't projected to go in the first round.
I think Baalke really likes Stephon Anthony...kind of fits the Niner mold. 6-2, 243, ran 4.56, which is great for an ILB. I'll be surprised if he doesn't draft him.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
1st round IMO

Anthony worries me. I see the physical gifts and instincts, but the kid plays almost out of control/overaggressive. His pursuit of the play looks like he's just running like a mad-man towards the action without using sound football intelligence to make the right fundamental play when he arrives. Very frustrating to watch him snap after snap because it left me desiring so much more. A lot like Corey Lemonier did.

I think there are some unheralded names that could be finds in this class at ILB, but guys like Anthony and McKinney will go very high due to their athletic ability and college production.

Right now, there is one late round name I'd keep an eye on. As far as the middle-rounders, I'd give consideration to Perryman, Heeney, and Hager.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Mar 16, 2015 at 11:02 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Coached by one of our old DCs and Jeff Ulbrich (49er LB / UCLA LB coach / Falcons LB coach)

"I watched a lot of Patrick Willis film in college, especially. My sophomore year when I took on the middle linebacker position and I needed help in certain areas, I would kind of throw his film on and watch a (few) cut-ups and see how he pursued the ball," Kendricks said on "NFL AM" Friday. "I think it's awesome how he plays the game. I try to emulate him to a certain extent, but also use my own style."

Kendricks won the Butkus Award as the nation's top linebacker and left UCLA as the Bruins' all-time leading tackler with 483 stops in his career. If that sounds familiar, it should -- Willis won the Butkus Award himself in 2006. And if the list of past winners is any indication of Kendricks' pro future, the team that drafts him should be pleased with the investment. Along with Willis, Luke Kuechly, Von Miller and C.J. Mosley have won the Butkus Award as well.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000474559/article/uclas-eric-kendricks-models-game-after-49ers-patrick-willis
Share 49ersWebzone