There are 201 users in the forums

Post Free-Agency Mock

Now that most of the 49er signings have been made, i feel this following mock would finish supplying the roster we need to compete in the division.

Round 1

Baalke's top choices aren't there and he trades back a few spots, acquiring an extra 3rd.

The pick: DL - Arik Armstead - Oregon

I think everyone is seeing Seattle's O-line take a hit, and I believe that there's where they can be beat. Whether it's Armstead or Goldman, or Dupree. Beefing up the DL is a priority, especially if Cowboy retires. I think Armstead has the highest ceiling of any of the defensive linemen, and that's what you look for in the 1st round.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKnBUX-SBNE

Round 2

The pick: CB Kevin Johnson - Wake Forest

We need a CB for the future. This guy looks to be a great press corner in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6J2TrDKLNE

Round 3

The pick: WR Devin Funchess - Michigan

I like this guy a lot. As a WR, not a TE. This guy can become the equivalent to A Jimmy Graham in Sea. I mean, when I see the way they play, I do not see a world of difference between him and DGB. He doesn't come with all the baggage either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nQNpYdfA4M

Now i think that Baalke uses one of his 4's and trades back into the third to take a RB that's dropped.

The pick: RB - Duke Johnson - The U

Guy's explosive. Perfect compliment to Hyde in the future.

Round 4 -

The Pick: OT - Donovan Smith - Penn State

Solid o-line depth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJt0eBbeRng

Round 5

The Pick: ILB - Taiwan Jones - Michigan State

Another athletic linebacker to compete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGd6-kSub_U

Round 6

The Pick: OG - Jamil Douglas - Arizona State

Depth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXPKRz4aZWk

Round 7

The Pick: QB - Bryan Bennett - Southeastern Louisiana

QB competition. Knows the read option. Can run. Not a bad arm. Better than BJ Daniels in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzZ3Wg6gG4s

Pick 2: TE - Rory Anderson - South Carolina

If it weren't for his injuries, he would be taken a lot higher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQj1k13IJKE
If these players all fall like this I'd be ecstatic. However, both Johnson's and Funchess may be gone a round earlier
I'm glad you don't have Humphries in the 7th this time
Originally posted by stonecold590:
I'm glad you don't have Humphries in the 7th this time

Haha yeah man. Thing was.. I mistook him for Trenton Brown. Florida's other OT. Don't know what i was thinking.
Not bad
is free agency over--should this not be a mid free agency mock draft?
Dupree over Arik , I'm guessing we aren't done FA yet, K Johnson and Devin most likely aren't there in those rounds...Like the Jones and Duke pick.
Originally posted by hofer36:
is free agency over--should this not be a mid free agency mock draft?

I meant in the sense that most of the signings the Niners were going to make have been made... Not in the technical sense.

Obviously, w the recent news I expect Baalke to look for.some more lb help.. maybe Rolando McClain?
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Dupree over Arik , I'm guessing we aren't done FA yet, K Johnson and Devin most likely aren't there in those rounds...Like the Jones and Duke pick.

Yeah I hear you.on Dupree.. I really had a hard.time choosing over the two, those were the two players I was looking at.. the only reason.I would hesitate on Dupree is that he.has.to.play standing up.. like Aldon and Lynch... He would be.behind them... He would.not get as much playing time as an Armstead.who would.right away become a.fixture on.the dline
Originally posted by ivanm05:

Yeah I hear you.on Dupree.. I really had a hard.time choosing over the two, those were the two players I was looking at.. the only reason.I would hesitate on Dupree is that he.has.to.play standing up.. like Aldon and Lynch... He would be.behind them... He would.not get as much playing time as an Armstead.who would.right away become a.fixture on.the dline

Yeah I just don't see a DE/DT that will be at 15 that's worth the 15th pick...Arik is pretty raw and would be a stretch at 15. Carl Davis is a better player at this point that Armstead in my opinion.

Yeah I just don't see a DE/DT that will be at 15 that's worth the 15th pick...Arik is pretty raw and would be a stretch at 15. Carl Davis is a better player at this point that Armstead in my opinion.

Yeah not at 15. That's why indicated a trade down in the 1st. Dupree had a good pro-day and her could warrant the selction there at 15.

Yeah not at 15. That's why indicated a trade down in the 1st. Dupree had a good pro-day and her could warrant the selction there at 15.

I missed the trade down I'm just not sold on him as a first year starter and that's what we are looking for in the 1st.
Round 3

The pick: WR Devin Funchess - Michigan

I like this guy a lot. As a WR, not a TE. This guy can become the equivalent to A Jimmy Graham in Sea. I mean, when I see the way they play, I do not see a world of difference between him and DGB. He doesn't come with all the baggage either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nQNpYdfA4M

Jimmy Graham dwarfs Funchess. He's a full 2 inches taller (6'6 1/4 compared to 6'4 1/4), outweighs him by about 30 pounds, has 35" arms (compared to 33 1/2"), and has absolutely massive hands (10 5/8" compared to 9 3/4"). And despite outweighing him by about 30 pounds, Graham still ran a much faster 40 (4.56 which is is significantly faster than Funchess despite the fast pro day time). He's an absolute freak and Funchess's potential isn't even in the same stratosphere. Graham fell to the third round because he was extremely raw, but he was one of my draft crushes that year because of his unique size and speed.

If you see similarities between Funchess and Graham, keep in mind that Graham is a much bigger target and Funchess will fall even further behind in terms of athleticism if he puts on weight to play TE. DGB is much faster and a more fluid/coordinated athlete. I'm not sure there's a single thing on the field that Funchess does better than DGB (neither is a great blocker). Funchess may be safer because he doesn't have off-field issues like DGB, but he doesn't have close to the ceiling of Graham or DGB.
I see Armstead's name at the top of many Niners' mock drafts.
I'm not sold on Armstead...great size, quickness, etc. but where's the production? Just don't see him as a guy who'll come in and make an impact right away.

Guys like Malcolm Brown, Eddie Goldman, Danny Shelton & Jordan Phillips excite me a lot more. I get these guys may be NT's in the NFL, but I like their production a lot more than Armstead's.

Funchess over DGB...seriously? The latter ran a 4.70 vs DGB's 4.49 at the combine...I know he ran faster at his pro day, but scouts won't forget his combine time. I get the character issues of DGB...and Baalke may not draft him because of it...but I doubt that means he'd turn to Funchess. On the Niners, as a TE you have to be able to block and that's another area he lacks. As a WR, he really doesn't use his size as well as he could.

I like Duke Johnson & Donavan Smith.

I know you did this before Borland announced his retirement...so I'd move ILB up a few slots. I think Anthony's the guy to take. Not taking a TE 'til the 7th rd could be too late...Vernon's in his contract season and only Carrier's shown much receiving talent behind him.
Share 49ersWebzone