LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 396 users in the forums

MBA's mock draft ver 3.0 Post Free Agent Frenzy

This will be my third stab at a mock draft based on CBS Sports NFL Draft scouts prospect rankings as of 3/12/15 and the first crazy week of free agency. I will not recap all the comings and goings from the Niners roster in this post. It is too painful to even think about. So, here we go.........

Round 1 Trade down with Cincy #21 and their 2nd round pick Arik Armstead DE 6'7" 292 lbs Oregon - need pick with huge potential
Round 2 Stephone Anthony LB 6'3" 243 lbs Clemson- run and hit LB to take over for PWilly and Borland
Round 2B Jalen Collins CB 6'1" 203 lbs LSU - big CB to take over for Culliver's loss
Round 3 Trey Flowers EDGE 6'2" 266 lbs - outside pass rusher to add to Aldon and Lynch
Round 4 Dezmin Lewis 6'4" 214 lbs Central Arkansas - small school gem to add to our WR corps
Round 4 comp Kurtis Drummond FS 6'1" 208 lbs - need someone better than Dahl to backup Reid and Bethea
Round 5 Taiwan Jones ILB 6'3" 245 lbs Michigan St - big, downhill thumper who can play inside in a 3-4 defense
Round 6 Trey Williams RB 5'7" 195 lbs Texas A&M - Backup RB and KR
Round 7 Bryan Bennett QB 6'2" 211 lbs SE Louisiana - developmental QB is sorely needed
Round 7 comp Chaz Green OT 6'5" 314 lbs Florida - 3 year starter coming off of injury

Priority UDFA's
Connor Halliday QB 6'3" 196 lbs Washington St - was having a career year prior to getting injured
Darren Weller WR 6'6" 238 lbs Georgia Tech - big WR who can block but has shown potential as a pass catcher
Julian Wilson CB 6'2" 205 lbs Oklahoma - big CB with decent speed
Miles Dieffenbach OG 6'3" 305 lbs Penn State - Baalke injury special
Tyeler Davison NT 6'2" 316 lbs Fresno State - NT with long arms
Kyle Brindza K 6'1" 236 lbs Notre Dame - insurance for Old Man Dawson

Your thoughts...............
[ Edited by m_brockalexander on Mar 19, 2015 at 1:27 PM ]
As they've picked up FA's, some of the needs have gone away or moved down the list.

I really like the first three picks, and maybe favor a Langford as the back picked in the 4th. You can never tell with TB, but it's time to repair the trenches.
Like the first 3 picks still not on board for OL in the 1st I don't see him as BPA at 15 and a top need. I don't see cox as a Niner with his off the field stuff. I really like Lockett
Will Phillip dorsett be there in the 3rd round?
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
This will be my third stab at a mock draft based on CBS Sports NFL Draft scouts prospect rankings as of 3/12/15 and the first crazy week of free agency. I will not recap all the comings and goings from the Niners roster in this post. It is too painful to even think about. So, here we go.........

Round 1 La'el Collins OL 6'4" 305 lbs LSU - a mean spirited offensive lineman who can play RT or both guards positions; need to rebuild in the trenches
Round 2 Carl Davis DT 6'5" 321 lbs Iowa - had great Senior Bowl week and would be a great run stopping end in the 3-4
Round 3 Tyler Lockett WR 5'10" 182 lbs - with T. Smith in the fold, could still use some additional speed on the outside; also can help as a KR
Round 4 Buck Allen RB 6'0" 221 lbs USC - Baalke always drafts one RB; good runner, receiver and pass blocker
Round 4 comp Justin Cox DB 6'1" 191 lbs Mississippi State - combo FS/CB to add to the secondary
Round 5 Taiwan Jones ILB 6'3" 245 lbs Michigan St - big, downhill thumper who can play inside in a 3-4 defense
Round 6 Deion Barnes EDGE 6'4" 260 lbs - developmental OLB/pass rusher to train behind Smith, Brooks and Lynch
Round 7 Connor Halliday QB 6'3" 196 lbs Washington State - was having a career season prior to being injured; developmental QB that is sorely needed
Round 7 comp Chaz Green OT 6'5" 314 lbs Florida - 3 year starter coming off of injury

Priority UDFA's
Bryan Bennett QB 6'2" 211 lbs SE Louisiana - former Oregon QB
Darren Weller WR 6'6" 238 lbs Georgia Tech - big WR who can block but has shown potential as a pass catcher
Julian Wilson CB 6'2" 205 lbs Oklahoma - big CB with decent speed
Miles Dieffenbach OG 6'3" 305 lbs Penn State - Baalke injury special
Tyeler Davison NT 6'2" 316 lbs Fresno State - NT with long arms

Your thoughts...............

Curious about the Lael Collins pick.

I just think the 49ers have a lot of young guards, but are worried about the tackles spots, next year.

I think the 2 year deal for Pears signifies that they have the swing tackle position occupied by Alex Boone covered, but if possibly plan on using, J.Martin, M. Martin, Looney, or Thomas as the 2 replacements for the departed Iupati and Boone this and next year. Also seems like they are pretty confident about UDFA Farrell.

However I just fully expect them to draft injured OT's Cedric Ogbuehi or Corey Robinson later in the draft, thus freeing up their 1st round pick to counter Seahawks and the divisions, moves.

Of course I'm just a spectator at the circus just like you.
Like the first three picks, but I think Davis being there in the mid second is a pretty good stretch. It would be quite a steal/surprise for him to fall that far.

I also don't think we are likely to go that long before addressing the secondary.

I agree Collins could make a very likely Baalke pick. Since I don't expect the Davis pick to be possible, I'd rather see us go CB in round 2 if we take Collins in round 1 and someone like Henry Anderson or Xavier Cooper in round 3 on DL. With CB, G, and DE handled in the first 3 picks, it gives us the luxury to use the two 4th round picks on areas of less need for steals/values at areas like WR/RB/TE where more talent would be great, but it isn't our biggest need. Or we have the freedom to use one of those picks if needed to move up slightly to grab the guy we really want in one of those first few rounds.
Well, Borland just retired so there goes my mock draft. Going to have to re do this whole thing.
Revised.........................
Share 49ersWebzone