LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 285 users in the forums

Garlicboy Mock #1 The mock to end all Mocks

Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Yeah -- go with Eddie Goldman instead.

Or Malcolm Brown or CB.
It sure would be interesting if it went down like that.

I think trading back and getting Eddie Goldman would make getting DGB more realistic
Would love to have those first three picks. Dockett-Shelton-Carradine would great in an attacking scheme. DGB would be amazing for our red zone and would pair well with Torrey on the outside in the future with Patton and Ellington replacing Boldin in the slot. Ogbuehi would be an excellent replacement for Boone and could swing outside in case of injury as well. I don't see it being likely to happen but I would be ecstatic if it did.
Originally posted by ESWYoung08:
Would love to have those first three picks. Dockett-Shelton-Carradine would great in an attacking scheme. DGB would be amazing for our red zone and would pair well with Torrey on the outside in the future with Patton and Ellington replacing Boldin in the slot. Ogbuehi would be an excellent replacement for Boone and could swing outside in case of injury as well. I don't see it being likely to happen but I would be ecstatic if it did.

This. I would be ecstatic if it went down like this but it's not super realistic.
Originally posted by Garlicboy:
Off field issues may drop DGB tremendously. If people were willing to ignore the off field issues, just in general, well in my eyes we would see teams going after guys like Greg Hardy, Ray Rice and trying to trade for Adrian Petersen, or Justin Blackmon (Jags have a ton of WR's).

The only off field issue guy who was immediatley signed was Jerome Simpson and the 49ers took heat for it.

Now does DGB drop all the way to the 2nd round? Probably possible w/all these 4.5/4.6 pass rushing OLB's in the draftt.

The comparisons between Simpson and DGB aren't accurate.
We took heat for Simpson because of Yorks new winning with class motto, not so much Simpsons prior. We took heat because the signing was the opposite of what York had preached.
DGB on the other hand is looked at as a kid who is learning from his mistakes, he also got a chance to redeem himself during the combine interviews (which is sounds like he did)
There is 0 chance he falls to us in the second because of his "off the field issues"
[ Edited by Quest4six on Mar 14, 2015 at 11:00 AM ]
Originally posted by Garlicboy:
1: DT- Danny Shelton
-49ers go BPA, the monster drops with a run on OLB's (if we have to we give up a 3rd and thus eliminate the 3rd rounder OT...)

Man you really know your stuff.

I have to say that I'm not a fan of Shelton though. I live in the PNW and I went to UW. I'm a UW fan just not a shelton fan, at least not for the 9ers. I've been watching him since high school. Although he has great size and athletic ability. He even make some outstanding plays. However, he seems lazy to me and takes plays off. In addition I question his work ethic. Just my arm-chair QB talk. There are plenty of others who know more than me that have him rated higher.

Go 9ers.
Shelton is the only DL player that I would be 100% on board with drafting at #15. I say this because NO WAY Leonard Williams will be there at #15.

Glenn Dorsey and Ian Williams are very average. I'm not sure why they get so much respect, neither is a difference maker, and our system and ILB's always mask our NT's. Isaac Sopoaga played the best seasons of his career under our variation of the 3-4.

The whole "NT's are devalued in the passing league NFL" is just a load of bull s**t. Vince Wilfork would beg to differ. I'm sure the Seattle Seahawks wouldn't want a young Casey Hampton or Jammal Williams playing for the 49ers.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Spending a top 15 pick on a NT who will be on the field for 30-40% of defensive snap and we have the number 1 rated NT last season until he got injured in Ian Williams. Other than that great mock!

I think some of you fellas spend too much time hanging on trending ideas in the NFL and not enough time looking at each individual player and situation.

NT's in the NFL these days play much fewer snaps on passing downs because there are not many great ones that are effective rushing the QB.

True, elite NT's are rare to come by in the NFL. Do you see Vince Wilfork only playing on 30-40% of the Pats' snaps? Do you think Casey Hampton or Jammal Williams would only be playing 30-40% of snaps if they were still in the NFL in their prime?

Shelton may not be the type of pass rushing threat that Justin Smith or Ray McDonald was, but you can't ignore 9.5 sacks in one season from a NT, or how disruptive he is at the snap. He would be more than capable of playing DT in our 4 man nickel fronts.

I would like to add that we play in a division with the Seattle Seahawks, who run the ball more than any team in the NFL, and a team in STL who has an up and coming RB in Tre Mason, and a coach who has always put a premium on running the football.

Shelton will be playing a lot of snaps for the 49ers if he comes here... just like Ian Williams or Glenn Dorsey would have on nickel downs if they were worth a lick collapsing the pocket and we didn't happen to have stud interior pass rushers like Ray Mac.
Originally posted by LowerTheBoom:
Shelton is the only DL player that I would be 100% on board with drafting at #15. I say this because NO WAY Leonard Williams will be there at #15.

Glenn Dorsey and Ian Williams are very average. I'm not sure why they get so much respect, neither is a difference maker, and our system and ILB's always mask our NT's. Isaac Sopoaga played the best seasons of his career under our variation of the 3-4.

The whole "NT's are devalued in the passing league NFL" is just a load of bull s**t. Vince Wilfork would beg to differ. I'm sure the Seattle Seahawks wouldn't want a young Casey Hampton or Jammal Williams playing for the 49ers.

Vince Wilfork is a free agent because he has a huge salary and doesn't play more than 20ish snaps a game. And to say Ian Williams is average is not accurate at all would u like home to shed his blockers so the guards/centers can get to the second level and block our ILBs? Ian Williams analytically had the best season up to his injury of any NT in the NFL. Shelton is a good player but if you think your getting a huge upgrade over Williams then I would respectfully disagree.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Can't compare all off field issues...those guys you meantioned come with higher price tags (much higher) then DGB. All these OLB? There are what 4 maybe 5 and they all have their own issues. I hope your right but I have yet to hear one analyst say DGB would drop all they way to the 15th pick in the 2nd.

Did you go off a draft big board or your own assumptions, just curious?

My apologies.

I meant to write, "Now does DGB drop all the way to the 2nd round? Probably Not. Does Shelton drop to #15 possibly, w/all these 4.5/4.6 pass rushing OLB's in the draftt."

DGB in the 2nd is highly unlikely, but there are teams that will not take a risk on DGB in the 1st round just because of the PR nightmare it may create. Much like teams that passed on Randy Moss in the 1st round, just because he liked smoking weed.

I just can't see the 49ers drafting DGB in the 1st round after all the "Winning with class b******t." Especially after the backlash and egg on the face of Jed York after the signing Jerome Simpson.

Originally posted by LowerTheBoom:

Completely agree!
Why I would trade up to pick Danny Shleton?

BEACUSE F-CK MARSHAWN LYNCH AND THE SEAHAWKS! Attack a beast with a beast!

I'm tired of Marshawn Lynch running down the gut. We need to shut that down! Seahawks got better at TE, but weaker at C, so attack that weakness! Stop their run! Shelton will command a double team or keep Lynch in to block. When he does that we have 1 on 1 w/Lynch and Smith on the outside.
I like Ian Williams and Glenn Dorsey, but I can't trust them becaus of injuries.

That Nose tackle position is brutal. Smashing every play. It's rare for Nose tackle to play at a high level for many years. (Just being 300 plus pounds and athletic for 10 years is rare.) Vince Wilfork is the exception.

Nose tackle/NT is the postion:

1.) we need upgrade and address for the future
2.) have no one young and up and coming at that position.
3.) that has the greatest gap in talent in the draft, there's Danny Shelton and then evereyone else.
Share 49ersWebzone