• VDSF
  • Veteran
From what I've seen my top 5 would be.
1. Marcus Peters
2. Ronald Darby
3. Trae Waynes
4. Jalen Collins
5. Kevin Johnson

Just my opinion I'm super high on Darby I think he may not have the highest ceiling but as a cover guy he trumps them all.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
1. Marcus Peters
2. Ronald Darby
3. Trae Waynes
4. Jalen Collins
5. Kevin Johnson

Just my opinion I'm super high on Darby I think he may not have the highest ceiling but as a cover guy he trumps them all.

I agree with your top 5 100%. At 15, I'd probably rather take Darby over Peters just because of character concerns
Originally posted by Cooper22:
1. Marcus Peters
2. Ronald Darby
3. Trae Waynes
4. Jalen Collins
5. Kevin Johnson

I agree with your top 5 100%. At 15, I'd probably rather take Darby over Peters just because of character concerns

I like Peters...as far as character concerns it seem more like passion than anything else. SF could use a little of his passion lol
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Cooper22:
1. Marcus Peters
2. Ronald Darby
3. Trae Waynes
4. Jalen Collins
5. Kevin Johnson

I like Peters...as far as character concerns it seem more like passion than anything else. SF could use a little of his passion lol

That's true. I just read that his coaches at Washington (where he got kicked off the team) are vouching for him with NFL teams, so that's a good sign.. I think for me it's him and Darby 1a and 1b depending on what style of corner the team is looking at
I really like Kevin Johnson. His 40 was a tick slow, but the rest of his measurables were really good.
I say if Marcus Peters is there at 15 I would call steelers and try and get a 3rd and their first for the 15 and then draft Darby at 22
Peters fire for the game remindes me a lot of Sherman
If he is there at 15 I highly doubt we pass on a player like that, especially if his coaches are vouching for him.

This kid would be the top corner in this draft if not for his "incident"
And unlike DGB, his game isn't undeveloped, he was playing at a very high level before he got suspended
  • HERN
  • Veteran
I'd be okay walking away with Tray Waynes with the 15th pick, then picking up Ifro or Josh Shaw in the later rounds.
I'd like to see Baalke stick with tradition and draft Ifo Ekpre-Olomu with a mid-round pick, and let him sit out for a year. Everyone was saying he was one of the top corners, and a sure 1st round pick till his injury.

I'd also like to see us take a corner with our 1st pick if one of the top 2 fall to us. I think it's more important at this point than WR. I'm really not that enamoured with any of the WRs as a 1st round pick except for Kevin White, but he'll be long gone.
[ Edited by Trath44 on Mar 14, 2015 at 7:43 PM ]

• All22
  • Veteran
The Baalke thing to do would be to draft based on who we are going to lose next off-season not who we lost this off-season. That's why he drafted so many corners last year.

Our free agents next year are:
Ian Williams, Justin Smith, Boldin, Looney, Boone, J. Martin, Dahl, V. Davis, Dawson, Holliday, Hunter, Aldon Smith

So I'd expect that he's going to draft a lot of offensive line and defensive line/pass rushers along with a TE to replace Vernon.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
My personal favorite is Kevin Johnson Wake Forest.
[ Edited by DeUh on Mar 15, 2015 at 12:12 PM ]
I pray the Niners do not draft another DB in round 1. Every year teams get high draft grades for taking the top cb and the pick rarely works out. See Cleveland Browns. I would be more comfortable drafting WR, the class is ranked as an A, and you could get a true #1 at pick 15.
1. Davante Parker WR
2. Michael Bennet DT
3. Alex Carter CB Stamfprd/
Is there any corner that would beat out Johnson for a starting job? If we don't go corner in the 1st 2 rounds are there any year 1 starting corners in the later rounds?
  • thl408
I posted this in NT, but wanted to get some thoughts from the draftniks.

It seems kind of odd to go defensive back in the first round for three consecutive drafts. I understand Reid and Ward were drafted for need, but for what I think Baalke's "template" is for building a defense, it seems like high draft capital and cap space should go to the front 7. The DBs are the plug and play positions that benefit from the excellent front7, which should consist of high draft picks that take up the bigger chunk of the salary cap.

To go DB in the 1st round, for three straight drafts might mean a shift in cap space allotment to the defensive backfield. Afterall, a GM should draft first rounders because they think they'll be studs, and building blocks for the long term. So assuming Baalke thinks he is hitting with the picks of Reid, Ward, and a 2015 first round CB, he should be prepared to shell out money to keep them past their rookie deals. Thus signaling a shift in how the team's cap space it divvied up on the defensive side of the ball.

I would not want to see a first round CB taken, especially one at #15, unless it's astronomical value.
Share 49ersWebzone