There are 228 users in the forums

Forget your WR dream.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Justin Smith and Patrick Willis both retiring means defense rises to the top of the list. Our 1st round pick should be defensive front 7. Maybe our 2nd round pick too. We have a hole at Guard now too with Iupati leaving. Gore is gone and Hyde has not proven he can be an every down back. We need D line, LB, OG, RB to name a few. We could use a CB also. WR is especially NOW a luxury pick early. We don''t need that early. Plus I think we are unlikely to pick it early.

I bet your a blast to be around. The fact you said that Hyde hasn't proven to be an every down back is comical.
Originally posted by JDMathews49ers:
Justin Smith and Patrick Willis both retiring means defense rises to the top of the list. Our 1st round pick should be defensive front 7. Maybe our 2nd round pick too. We have a hole at Guard now too with Iupati leaving. Gore is gone and Hyde has not proven he can be an every down back. We need D line, LB, OG, RB to name a few. We could use a CB also. WR is especially NOW a luxury pick early. We don''t need that early. Plus I think we are unlikely to pick it early.

I bet your a blast to be around. The fact you said that Hyde hasn't proven to be an every down back is comical.

He is not proven as an every down back in the NFL.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Mar 10, 2015 at 5:51 PM ]
Yes I am a guaranteed blast to be around.......
You are not going to get a WR early. Torrey Smith all but guarantees that.

He is not proven as an every down back in the NFL.

Not sure why he thinks that's comical. Hyde showed some flashes, but he didn't exactly tear it up his rookie year and still has much to prove. He only averaged 4.0 yards per carry, while the 31 year old Frank Gore averaged 4.3. Hyde's vision definitely can improve significantly.

Highly doubt that Smith is a good #2 Wr and the speedster we have lacked, Boldin is great out of the slot we are missing the big WR outside DGB

Baalke drafts bpa a ton. Look at borland and hyde last year. Maybe martin to. All taken before our biggest need at wr. So i won't put anything past him.
[ Edited by gold49er2183 on Mar 12, 2015 at 1:10 AM ]
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Two pieces of stud meat @15:

Usda prime: gurley

Usda choice+: peters
Yes, for the 1st round but I still think you have to be open to it if the right prospect comes along in the 2nd round. Torrey Smith is not a #1 receiver. You want to run with him as your #1 be prepared for most inconsistent passing attack there is. He's too much of a deep ball threat to fill that role. Anquan Boldin has 1 or 2 years left. We do need to develop his replacement and just about all teams who have built a good receiver core have down it by consistently drafting receivers in the 2-3rd rounds.

So if there's an Alshon Jeffery there you got to pull the trigger.
I promise you, the 49ers will still take a WR early in this draft. I know you guys think Boldin can play forever, but he won't. I would suspect that this is his last season with us. We are in a great position to get a #1 WR for the future sitting at 15. What you guys are suggesting is that, we go ahead without positioning out WRs for the future, and just grab one in the later rounds. Then what happens next season? Torrey Smith is great, but he is not going to be our number 1 guy. We need to be smart and get a DeVante Parker or Dorial Green-Beckham now so they can be groomed for a season and ready to take over for Boldin.

WR is still a HUGE need. Torrey Smith is at best a #2, Boldin is a year or two away from being done, Jerome Simpson has massive off-field questions, Ellington/Patton could develop into solid role-players, but they aren't Randall Cobb.

I could easily see a WR picked at #15 and its completely justifiable. People want Kaep to be successful, well he needs weapons - signing Torrey Smith is a good start, but we still need a young guy to groom behind Boldin.

I think people are overreacting on the DL, we have some depth there and bringing Dockett over along with hopefully healthy seasons from Williams/Dorsey/Dial/Tank should be just fine. Use a 3rd/4th on another guy, but we aren't in dire straights there. Deep draft for running backs, no need for a 1st round pick there.

CB is obviously a big need, would love Waynes if he fell, but sounds like he's probably in the top-10. If he's not there, grab an impact WR.
Originally posted by Preacherpj:
WR is still a HUGE need. Torrey Smith is at best a #2, Boldin is a year or two away from being done, Jerome Simpson has massive off-field questions, Ellington/Patton could develop into solid role-players, but they aren't Randall Cobb.

I could easily see a WR picked at #15 and its completely justifiable. People want Kaep to be successful, well he needs weapons - signing Torrey Smith is a good start, but we still need a young guy to groom behind Boldin.

I think people are overreacting on the DL, we have some depth there and bringing Dockett over along with hopefully healthy seasons from Williams/Dorsey/Dial/Tank should be just fine. Use a 3rd/4th on another guy, but we aren't in dire straights there. Deep draft for running backs, no need for a 1st round pick there.

DL is far more important when it comes to this team's success than WR IMO. Dockett is 34 coming off an ACL injury, he was already regressing to begin with. Williams is coming off of his second season ending injury in as many seasons, Dorsey is coming in after a season ending injury, neither of those guys have long term contracts. Its also kind of funny how you discount Patton and Ellington at depth but then turn around and claim that the team will be fine with Carradine and Dial, both who are largely unproven.

I think without Justin Smith, DL is the top priority by far, followed by CB, then followed by OLB and then followed by WR. This is still a team that is going to run the ball a lot and you'll rarely see more than 3 WR sets, not to mention the TE's that will be getting snaps. This will never be a high octane passing offense so overloading the roster with receivers never made much sense to me.

A dominant front seven is what will get this team to the playoffs, not hoping and wishing that they turn into the Run and Shoot Oilers. The importance of the loss of Justin Smith cannot be overstated and I don't see anyway that they don't add a premier blue chip DL, either through free agency or the draft. Above all else they need to make sure that the DL is well stocked with plenty of talent.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 12, 2015 at 9:11 AM ]
  • VDSF
  • Veteran
At this point now with the Torrey signing, Draft a CB or DL
Share 49ersWebzone