There are 236 users in the forums

Possible replacements for Willis

Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Borland is a very good linebacker, but he's definitely a significant drop off to Patrick Willis. There are some limitations with Borland. His coverage ability isn't the best and you can't depend on him to man someone up in coverage. He lacks the speed to hang with the faster guys in coverage and the height/length to cover the bigger guys. Willis had very good length and great speed and that's why we could depend on him in guarding some of the better tight ends in the league.

Now the logical move for the 49ers defense is to move Bowman to Willis's role of taking on more of the coverage responsibilities with Borland taking over Bowman's role. But I think people would be a lot more comfortable with drafting another inside backer high in the draft that has some similarities to Patrick Willis in terms of length,athleticism, and coverage ability. Remember Jimmy Graham is in the division now. You probably want to have a backer with the athleticism/length to be able to take Graham on sometimes without having to depend on safety help every single play.

Everyone is a dropoff from Willis, if you're expecting the next Patrick Willis to show up, you're going to be sorely disappointed.

Bowman was also already the guy in on 3rd downs in coverage with Willis often winding up on the sidelines. Borland is not Willis but he did outplay him last season and is a guy who is a Pro-Bowl caliber player in his own right. Willis is not coming back and considering that he's a generational sort of player, you're not going to get an equivalent replacement. With that said, Borland is a pretty damn good one and already one of the best ILB's in the NFL. He showed he can more than hold his own as a rookie and I only expect him to get better going forward.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 11, 2015 at 7:35 PM ]
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Bowman moves into P52's spot. Borland in where Bowman was. Wilhoite a backup, unless he beats Borland for the starting spot. Skov competes for a spot with Moody and a draft pick. Looks good to me!

More like Bowman stays exactly where he was at prior to the injury and Borland takes over the other spot. Bowman was the primary cover guy at ILB and the guy most often in the game on 3rd downs.
Btw, I think Reid is a much better option to cover Graham between the 20's than any of our LBs. Ravens safety Will Hill (who's about Reid's size) did a pretty decent job of being physical with Graham last year, holding him to 6 catches/47 yards in a Baltimore win. JG did score 2 redzone TDs, but that's going to happen (I believe he's accounted for more redzone TDs in the last few years than anyone). More importantly, Graham was targeted by Brees 10 times (game high) and only came way with 6 catches for less than 8 yards per. That's a pretty damn good job overall.
Originally posted by crew:
Really like Anthony, would need to draft him in lower 2nd, early 3rd.

I think he is a second rounder. Probably in that 45-55 range.
Originally posted by ltrain:
Originally posted by dompernick53:
CHRIS BORLAND, end thread.

RUMOR is Bowman is going to be cut as well. So, might as well keep this thread going.

I sure hope this is only a rumor. Ill be okay with Bowman and Borland in the middle, but i'll always miss P. Willy
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Everyone is a dropoff from Willis, if you're expecting the next Patrick Willis to show up, you're going to be sorely disappointed.

Bowman was also already the guy in on 3rd downs in coverage with Willis often winding up on the sidelines. Borland is not Willis but he did outplay him last season and is a guy who is a Pro-Bowl caliber player in his own right. Willis is not coming back and considering that he's a generational sort of player, you're not going to get an equivalent replacement. With that said, Borland is a pretty damn good one and already one of the best ILB's in the NFL. He showed he can more than hold his own as a rookie and I only expect him to get better going forward.

Good call Phoenix.

I also have allot of faith in Boreland and having Wilhoite as a backup is fine insurance
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
I don't think Bowman's getting cut unless his knee is spaghetti
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Borland is a very good linebacker, but he's definitely a significant drop off to Patrick Willis. There are some limitations with Borland. His coverage ability isn't the best and you can't depend on him to man someone up in coverage. He lacks the speed to hang with the faster guys in coverage and the height/length to cover the bigger guys. Willis had very good length and great speed and that's why we could depend on him in guarding some of the better tight ends in the league.

Now the logical move for the 49ers defense is to move Bowman to Willis's role of taking on more of the coverage responsibilities with Borland taking over Bowman's role. But I think people would be a lot more comfortable with drafting another inside backer high in the draft that has some similarities to Patrick Willis in terms of length,athleticism, and coverage ability. Remember Jimmy Graham is in the division now. You probably want to have a backer with the athleticism/length to be able to take Graham on sometimes without having to depend on safety help every single play.

Where did I say we need to get the next Patrick Willis? I said Borland is a significant dropoff due to some of his coverage limitations Obviously, you're not going to get the next Patrick Willis. My point again is that it's important to look for someone with similar abilities in terms of athleticism/length/coverage. Again you need to consider Jimmy Graham and some of the other bigger faster guys in the league that get lined up against inside linebackers. And Bowman started coming in for coverage due to Willis's foot/toe issues in all likelihood. In their primes, Willis was better suited for lining up against tight ends in coverage. Which is why Willis was more responsible for coverage responsibilities since 2011 and this is part of the reason why his tackling totals dipped down, while Bowman got to freelance more and go out and make tackles.

I'm sure most would agree it'd be wise for the 49ers to bring in another quality inside backer that is well rounded to compete with Borland, especially when you consider Bowman is still recovering from a major injury. It wouldn't be wise to assume were set with a guy coming off a gruesome injury and a linebacker that has some difficulties in coverage. Drafting another quality ILB in the first few rounds is what's best for the team and then may the best two win the starting jobs.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I will go on record to guarantee you that the 49ers will draft another ILB in this draft. Look for the team to target one of the following: Stephone Anthony, Mike Hull, Taiwan Jones, or Jake Ryan.

This. My sleeper pick if the 49ers are going with an ILB. Has been a favorite of mine for awhile. Plus he tore his ACL in college so you know Baalke's already got him way up on his board.

Another thought I certainly had on the mind, haha.

If we went after Anthony, I think we'd have to use our second rounder. He's not a very good coverage linebacker though. At the same time, I think almost any guy in that position is going to come off the field for Bowman in passing downs. There just aren't any 4.3 - 4.4 linebackers available in this draft, or in almost any draft for that matter from year to year. Players similar to Bowman in coverage though who run in the 4.6 - 4.73 range with faster game speed would be the next best thing.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Mar 11, 2015 at 10:51 PM ]
Are there any better prospects next year?

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I will go on record to guarantee you that the 49ers will draft another ILB in this draft. Look for the team to target one of the following: Stephone Anthony, Mike Hull, Taiwan Jones, or Jake Ryan.

Like the idea of Stephone Anthony as a run and hit ILB like Willis was. Currently ranked as a 2nd round prospect who ran 4.56 in the 40 at 6'3" 243 lbs. If the Niners trade back in the first, do d-line with someone like Goldman or M. Brown and get another 2nd round pick to get Anthony, I'd be down with that.
Originally posted by jimrat:
Perryman is my guy

Is this the dude from TH U Miami? This guy can hit and tackle vs the run. Like this guys game a lot. If he can be had round 4 or lower would be a nice addition. Hits hard and has some skills/speed.
Looked into Mike Hull. Defensive leader at linebacker U. Look pretty impressive. I believe he'd provide good as or better depth than Moody.
[ Edited by ESWYoung08 on Mar 12, 2015 at 6:08 PM ]
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Originally posted by jimrat:
Perryman is my guy

Is this the dude from TH U Miami? This guy can hit and tackle vs the run. Like this guys game a lot. If he can be had round 4 or lower would be a nice addition. Hits hard and has some skills/speed.

Could be a nice backup to Borland, but like him would be a liability in coverage.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Aside from Denzel Perryman (everyone's new man crush), my two favorites are Stephone Anthony and Damien Wilson. Anthony I think can step right in and be a starter, I'd draft him as insurance to Bowman. Borland earn the right to be a starter, so I don't think Baalke takes a ILB till maybe the third day of the draft rounds 4th-7th, I doubt Stephone Anthony will be there. Which brings me to my late round favorite Damien Wilson, plays a lot like Willis just not that hard of a hitter or as great of a tackler that Willis was/is. I think with some Jason Tarver coaching Damien Wilson could be a steal like Borland was.

Share 49ersWebzone