LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 150 users in the forums

Cooper Mock Offseason and 2015 Roster (Pre Free Agency)

Free Agency

Resign
  • Perrish Cox
  • Kyle Nelson
  • Dan Skuta

Cut
  • Ahmad Brooks
  • Marcus Cromartie
  • Craig Dahl
  • Joe Looney

Restructure
  • Patrick Willis
  • Stevie Johnson

Sign
  • Matt Moore, QB- Solid veteran backup quarterback who won't be too costly
  • Jarryd Hayne, RB- Former rugby star. Has carrying ability and natural talent, just a matter of learning American football. I think he can contribute on special teams fairly quickly which may earn him a roster spot at some point in the season.
  • Darnell Dockett, DT- Great player, who is past his prime, will be a great leader on the defense and will contribute in a big way replacing RayMac.
  • Sergio Brown, S- Great special teamer and can play multiple roles in the defensive backfield. Huge upgrade over Craig Dahl
  • Jerome Simpson, WR- Depth at the receiver position. Will take Lloyd's place in last year's offense in my opinion and be a nice deep threat if he makes the roster.

Draft

TRADE UP (1st round pick, 4th round pick, and 2016 2/3rd round pick for number 9 overall)

1 (trade). Amari Cooper, WR, Alabama, 6-1 211
We NEED this.. Last year, I had us trading up for Odell Beckham Jr. in my final mock. Baalke has stated that he thought hard about making that trade up last year but it cost too much. This is a trade that can realistically happen and won't cost as much. If Kevin White goes to the Raiders, Amari Cooper can fall to the 10th spot just based on teams' needs. We go up and trade with the Giants before he reaches that pick. Cooper is 100% the most pro-ready receiver in this draft. Kevin White is being hyped because of this past season and his combine. However, Cooper had three hugely productive seasons in the SEC and arguably as good a combine as White. He will come in and start right away.

TRADE BACK (2nd round pick for late 2nd round pick and late 3rd round pick)

2 (trade). AJ Cann, OG, South Carolina, 6-3 313
A little underrated, Cann is a very powerful guard that packs a punch in the run game. As stated in the 2015 depth chart below, I think he would win out the battle for the starting left guard position.

3. Byron Jones, CB, UConn, 6-1 199
Obviously he was one of the most talked about prospects after his world record performance at the combine, but he is much more than that. I've seen every game he's played at UConn and he was the best player in the defensive backfield as soon as he stepped on the field. This backfield included future high round picks Blidi Wreh-Wilson and Dwayne Gratz. You could also make the argument that he was the best player on the defense (minus maybe Sio Moore). He is a safety convert and reminds me a little of Chris Culliver when he came out. I think Jones might actually be more fluid than Culliver was and a more natural corner. Byron is also a stand up guy that will never have off field issues and be a leader in the locker room as soon as he gets there.

3 (trade). Ameer Abdullah, HB, Nebraska, 5-9 205
Abdullah is a great all around running back with a lot of burst and can contribute in many ways. He is a very decisive back and is patient behind his blockers. He is also an accomplished punt and kick returner who can come in and compete with Ellington for both spots. Another high character guy that Baalke and York can hang their hat on.

4 (comp). Bryce Petty, QB, Baylor, 6-3 230
If Petty falls to this spot, I think it would be wise to take him and develop him as a Logan pick. He has great arm talent, and is a big guy with pretty good movement in and out of the pocket. Another high character guy who was a great leader at Baylor.

5. Blake Bell, TE, Oklahoma, 6-6 252
Former quarterback convert, Bell has the size and athleticism to make it as a tight end and he showed it toward the end of this past season/ at the combine. Actually very underrated as a blocker and can stand to add more weight on his frame. Confident pass catcher who will only improve with more reps.

6 (Wilhoite Trade). Shaquille Riddick, OLB, West Virginia, 6-6 242
Extremely fast off the line and was a bit of a one trick pony in college (think Bruce Irvin on the same defense). However, he can definitely stand to add weight on his frame and be a nice project to add some situational pass rush.

7. Jordan Taylor, WR, Rice, 6-5 210
Tall, lanky receiver who can stand to add some muscle. Has a lot of potential as a former quarterback with a lot of speed and YAC ability. Could be a nice practice squad candidate.

7 (comp). Ellis McCarthy, NT, UCLA, 6-5 338
Former 5 star recruit who disappointed. Huge guy with 34-inch arms. We have a great record developing late round defensive line players so McCarthy could be another great candidate.

2015 Depth Chart

QB- Kaepernick, Moore, Petty
HB- Hyde, Hunter, Abdullah
FB- Miller, Millard
WR- Boldin, Cooper, S Johnson, Ellington, Patton
TE- V Davis, McDonald, Carrier
LT- Staley
LG- Cann, Thomas
C- Kilgore, M Martin
RG- Boone
RT- A Davis, J Martin
LE- Dockett, Jerod-Eddie, Dial
NT- Dorsey, Williams
RE- J Smith, Carradine, Okoye
ROLB- A Smith, Skuta
MLB- Willis, Bowman, Borland, Moody
LOLB- Lynch, Lemonier
RCB- Brock, Jones, Reaser
LCB- Cox, D Johnson
NCB- Ward
FS- Reid, McCray
SS- Bethea, Brown
K- Dawson
P- Lee
LS- Nelson

Practice Squad

HB- Jarryd Hayne
WR- Jordan Taylor
TE- Blake Bell
OL- Dillon Farrell
NT- Ellis McCarthy
DT- Kaleb Ramsey
LB- Shaquille Riddick
CB- Kenneth Acker

FEW QUICK NOTES

- I went offense heavy in the draft because that's is where our biggest need for depth is. I also have us signing Dockett and Sergio Brown who will both be contributors on defense from the get-go.

- I didn't mock us a 5-tech defensive end because we are stacked at the position. Now with Dockett and Smith starting, that leaves us with Carradine, Dial, Jerod-Eddie, Okoye, and Ramsey as depth. These are all guys who are at different stages in their development but all have great potential to become starters or part of a rotation.

- I think quarterback is a bigger need than most of us think. Don't get me wrong, I love Kaepernick, but backup quarterback and a developmental quarterback are pretty vital positions for a team's future. Petty is a guy who can be a quality starter in the league. I also don't list a qb on the practice squad because Petty will act as the practice squad qb, but if cut; will be scooped by another team.
[ Edited by Cooper22 on Mar 6, 2015 at 11:04 AM ]
I see the potential value in going up to get Cooper. I don't like going G that early, and I'd greatly prefer Buck Allen over Abdullah ( Mr. Tinyhands McFumbles).

I like signing Brown and re-signing Cox. Anyone who cuts Dahl is okay by me.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
I see the potential value in going up to get Cooper. I don't like going G that early, and I'd greatly prefer Buck Allen over Abdullah ( Mr. Tinyhands McFumbles).

I like signing Brown and re-signing Cox. Anyone who cuts Dahl is okay by me.

This running back class is very deep and I wouldn't be too upset if we got one of like 10 in this draft that I really like. Just happens at this point I'm high on Abdullah
Not bad

I'm not high on grabbing OL that early based on last years draft, and not sure how I feel about QB's in this draft. I bet if Baalke does sell next years picks for Cooper he will trade down to recoup future picks.

Other than that I like it.
I think landing Cooper would be great

Byron Jones will not be available in the third round. He's a top 60 pick or better.
- I didn't mock us a 5-tech defensive end because we are stacked at the position. Now with Dockett and Smith starting, that leaves us with Carradine, Dial, Jerod-Eddie, Okoye, and Ramsey as depth. These are all guys who are at different stages in their development but all have great potential to become starters or part of a rotation.

Uummm how are we stacked at D-line ???? Dockett will be 34yrs old by tha start of tha season and coming back frm a busted knee so who knows what he'll do ... Tha cowboy is 36yrs and may not come back at all .... Dorsey coming back frm injury 2nd straight season Williams injured 2nd straight season ...Okoye not goin there dude still learning what football is ...Dail that dude maybe bigg but he is soft IMO ... Jerod-Eddie is ok but nothing special... We need youth and talent....We need to stop ignoring our D-line ....They cant keep us in games if we dont get some real talent on that side of tha ball ...
Good idea to trade up if Cooper is there. The offense needs starters.
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:

Uummm how are we stacked at D-line ???? Dockett will be 34yrs old by tha start of tha season and coming back frm a busted knee so who knows what he'll do ... Tha cowboy is 36yrs and may not come back at all .... Dorsey coming back frm injury 2nd straight season Williams injured 2nd straight season ...Okoye not goin there dude still learning what football is ...Dail that dude maybe bigg but he is soft IMO ... Jerod-Eddie is ok but nothing special... We need youth and talent....We need to stop ignoring our D-line ....They cant keep us in games if we dont get some real talent on that side of tha ball ...

i Thync wut hees tyrna sai iz dat doez doots is gud inuf four naow, and yoo kan't havv alll-proze throo thu hole dpth churt. Okoye iz a strech 4 shoor, butt not lykeli dat Dorsey an Williams get hyrt agin in thu saym yere. Dial wuz gud wen he got repz lazt yere; Tank wuz tue.
Trading up ahead of the Rams for Cooper is a long shot.

Parker is probably a more realistic target.
Share 49ersWebzone