LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 260 users in the forums

Corey Grant

Apparently this guy just ran a 4.25 and a 4.27 40 at his pro day at Auburn.
I'm going to do some more research. But I wanted to get a thread going.
Don't know much about him, but he isn't your typical tiny/fast RBS like CJohnson or Dri Archer

This is a guy who is 5'10 210lbs
Take a look for yourself, the guy is a stud

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000476055/article/auburns-corey-grant-runs-blazing-40-times-at-pro-day
Here is a great glimpse of his speed, its a sweep left and he runs 75 yards for the TD untouched (to be honest the blocking wasn't even that great)
The first TD is Tre Mason, fast forward to 43 seconds for Grant

[ Edited by Quest4six on Mar 3, 2015 at 12:31 PM ]
Here are some clips from the highlight day, I'll list his plays
:57 = run to right, 35 yard run
2:08 = one thing I wanted to look for was how he ran between the tackles, this clip shows that. He demonstrates some great patience, then cuts up through the hole and gets around 12 yards taking 3 guys with him on the last 2.
2:31 = looks to be a jet sweep. He comes around the left side and absorbed (didn't even throw him off balance) a hit from a CB. 13 yard run
VERY NEXT PLAY= I actually found some tape on how he does in pass protection! I didn't look that great, his body was very upright and the defender clearly wasn't giving it his all... But Grant made a block allowing the QB to hit a fade route for a TD
3:43 = you can't tell but the beginning of the play was a simple pitch. Look at the separation he already has after taking his first couple steps, its unreal. Breaks a tackle and goes 50+ yards for a TD

[ Edited by Quest4six on Mar 3, 2015 at 12:50 PM ]
http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2014/10/why_is_corey_grants_role_decre.html

Coaches often reminded fans and reporters Grant was the "1A" option at running back, but something has changed and the senior speedster's reps at tailback have taken a considerable hit.

"You know, with Corey, he's like a lightning rod," Lashlee said. "He gets in the game, and everybody knows how explosive he is. Defenses almost have specific plans when they see 20 on the field. They know, bam, they're going to do certain things. We've got to get creative and find ways to get him touches."

Auburn has attempted to change his role within the offense. In fact, the jet-sweep threat in the previous three seasons is running the ball between the tackles more than ever with 22 runs inside the tackles and 18 outside. He's averaging 4.9 yards per carry between the tackles and an explosive 8.1 yards outside.

"Obviously they're worried about perimeter," Malzahn said of defenses. "He's one of the fastest guys in college football. We run him between the tackles more than we have on the perimeter this year."

If you read the comments from Auburn fans, you can tell they were excited about this kid getting more time. It didn't look like it turned out that way, but I think this kid might end up being a steal for a team.
[ Edited by Quest4six on Mar 3, 2015 at 12:18 PM ]
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Corey Grant Running Over LSU Defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxwoU-dC2PU

Auburn Fast - Corey Grant Goes 40 Yards In 4.02 Seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_ODf8ED7ls
He looked very good from what I saw of him on the Pro Day coverage. Caught the football with his hands. Fast and quick. Looks very strong. Possibly a Darren Sproles type based on the comments of the announcers.
Originally posted by socal9er42:
He looked very good from what I saw of him on the Pro Day coverage. Caught the football with his hands. Fast and quick. Looks very strong. Possibly a Darren Sproles type based on the comments of the announcers.

This is what I thought, except Grant has 5 inches on Sproles and about 50 pounds
Originally posted by DeUh:
Corey Grant Running Over LSU Defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxwoU-dC2PU

Auburn Fast - Corey Grant Goes 40 Yards In 4.02 Seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_ODf8ED7ls

lol
Kids going to be a stud because he ran really fast?
Had only 1040 career yards rushing. Next Darren Sproles? He had 14 career catches.

Let's ease up on crowning this kid because of a good pro day. Facts are he couldn't get on the field til his Jr year, and still wasn't a starter his last 2 years.
Was he at the combine? Did he choose to not run? Just wondering if someone knows. I didn't get to watch much of combine this year unfortunately

Originally posted by tmpluff:
Was he at the combine? Did he choose to not run? Just wondering if someone knows. I didn't get to watch much of combine this year unfortunately

He wasn't anything special, so no he wasn't invited to the combine. No one would care about him if he hadn't just ran fast.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Kids going to be a stud because he ran really fast?
Had only 1040 career yards rushing. Next Darren Sproles? He had 14 career catches.

Let's ease up on crowning this kid because of a good pro day. Facts are he couldn't get on the field til his Jr year, and still wasn't a starter his last 2 years.

I didn't say he was going to be an NFL stud. I just said a guy that big running that fast makes him a stud.
Being compared to another player doesn't mean I am saying he is going to have the same success Sproles is having, I'm just trying to give an idea of what kind of player he is like.

I'm not so sure those are the reasons why he couldn't, I posted some info saying that Mahlzan himself said he needs to find more ways to get Grant on the field.
I can't help you if you don't read all the posts
Originally posted by tmpluff:

He wasn't anything special, so no he wasn't invited to the combine. No one would care about him if he hadn't just ran fast.

Again, its not all about the fact he has the after burners on high. Its the speed/size combo for an RB.
Chris Johnson 195lbs ran a 4.24
Dri Archer 173lbs ran a 4.26
Marquise Goodwin 183 ran a 4.27
Jamarcus Nelson 175lbs ran a 4.28
Jerome Mathis 181lbs ran a 4.29
Jacoby Ford 185lbs ran a 4.29

Corey Grant 210lbs ran a 4.27

The thing that's special about this guy isn't the speed, clearly there are some names up there who didn't pan out.
The thing that is special to me is that he has 20-30 pounds on all these guys and can still do what he does, that speed/power combo is something that is NOT common and is highly touted as an RB. There isn't much tape on him, so I'm not too sure yet how he does in-between the tackles and in pass blocking. But with what I saw at his spring-game for Auburn I'm still trying to figure out why he wasn't used. He looked better to me than Artis-Payne
[ Edited by Quest4six on Mar 3, 2015 at 1:01 PM ]
Originally posted by Quest4six:
I didn't say he was going to be an NFL stud. I just said a guy that big running that fast makes him a stud.
Being compared to another player doesn't mean I am saying he is going to have the same success Sproles is having, I'm just trying to give an idea of what kind of player he is like.

I'm not so sure those are the reasons why he couldn't, I posted some info saying that Mahlzan himself said he needs to find more ways to get Grant on the field.
I can't help you if you don't read all the posts

I read the posts, thank you. But just cause a guy runs fast means nothing.

Terrell Sinkfield ran a 4.19 in 2013 at his pro day. He's 6'0/198. Know what he's done in the NFL? Had a cup a coffee before they told him to leave. Now he's in the CFL doing nothing.
I read the posts, thank you. But just cause a guy runs fast means nothing.

Terrell Sinkfield ran a 4.19 in 2013 at his pro day. He's 6'0/198. Know what he's done in the NFL? Had a cup a coffee before they told him to leave. Now he's in the CFL doing nothing.

Sinkfield is also a WR who can't catch, and runs horrible routes.
I'm not 100% certain on issues with Grant's game yet, but I can tell he is already a more developed player than Sinkfield was.
To be clear, I'm not saying this guy will or should go in the 1st-5th rounds.

If he even gets picked up, I'm willing to say it would be as a UDFA or in the 6-7th.
I started this thread because I wanted to find out why a guy with this talent level is so low on every ones boards. I haven't found the reason yet
[ Edited by Quest4six on Mar 3, 2015 at 1:07 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone