LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 212 users in the forums

Trading down is better than trading up in this draft for us.

Originally posted by 4everFaithful:
White is worth trading up for. Other than that I'd prefer we stayed put.

It all depends on where players fall to. If Cooper is there at 9-10 (unlikely, but still), I'd rather trade up for him than try to trade up to 3-4 to get White. Without knowing where players will be picked, it's impossible to say who is worth trading for right now. I like Leonard Williams a lot too, but I don't think we can trade for him unless he drops out of the top 5 somehow. We have a lot of needs, so I wouldn't be surprised if we sit put at 15 and grab one of the BPA's even if it isn't a WR or DL. There has to be a player teams rate highly at 15 for other teams to want to trade up and we'd be just as likely to rate that player highly.

Worst case scenario, CBS's current top 15 are gone except for Peat, who we don't really need since he is strictly an OT. Then, I think we would have to trade back or take La'el Collins as an OT/OG

CBS rankings: 1 Leonard Williams 2 Jameis Winston 3 Marcus Mariota 4 Dante Fowler Jr. 5 Amari Cooper 6 Vic Beasley 7 Danny Shelton 8 Kevin White 9 Randy Gregory 10 Shane Ray 11 Brandon Scherff 12 DeVante Parker 13 Andrus Peat 14 Alvin Dupree 15 Trae Waynes
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
It depends on the team you're trading with. We hosed the Cowboys in the Reid trade. Other teams like the Pats would probably never give us something that good.

I really don't think the 49ers "hosed" dallas on the Reid pick.

49ers get Reid a Solid nice Safety and the Cowgirls got a STUDD center and a SOLID #2 WR in Terrance Williams. Both teams came out very good if you ask me.

When I say "hosed," its not about how each player turned out, but how much was given versus how much was gotten. We jumped a stupid number of spots in the first round and only had to give up a 3rd or 4th, I think. Rarely would you ever get that trade again.

I agree, we got great pick value out of that trade. Uncharacteristically, Dallas drafted well with the two picks.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
IMO the drafts elite difference makers are about 10 deep. If you have a top 5 to top 10 pick I think it makes sense to stay put and pick. If you are at 15 I don't believe any player there will massively transform this team. No one player at 15 will put us over the top. Trading up is also very, very expensive from a points standpoint if you look at the trade chart they have developed. It's just too expensive to trade up in the 1st round. If you trade up in the 2nd or 3rd round that is more manageable especially if you have obtained more picks by trading back. I think that is the way for us to go.

You must consider Justin Smith is older and may retire or drop off anytime. Ray McDonald is gone. Iupati is likely gone. Crabtree is likely gone. Gore may not return. Our NT gets hurt every single year. Sometimes more than one of them. We have big needs at DE, RB, OG, WR, NT and we could use a CB but I think the best one in the draft will likely be gone by #15. I just think trading back for us makes more sense. Fill more needs. We won't get an elite player anyway. Now if we were sitting at the Raiders spot I would say stay put and pick. I think they can get a difference maker there.

I think Kevin White, Danny Shelton and Trae Waynes are all likely gone at #15. Some top players at WR, NT/DT and CB. Some need positions that we could fill. I think those are difference makers. Perhaps one is in play for us. I would be very happy to grab any of the 3. If we can get one stay and pick. If not I would rather trade down. Of course you need somebody to trade down with. That is an opportunity that must present it self. Sometimes it does and sometimes it does not.

SquareBiz, Dog!!! The #1 pick wouldn't help us accomplish SB#6!!! We need to trade down for multiple picks (someone's #1 for next year thrown in would be nice) and fill those needs we have with at least two WR's, two CB's, two DT's, an OL or two and, at least one TE, IMO. This is something that should have been done last year (Jimmy Ward???). Quantity AND quality are very important now. This team is in a reloading mode and the other teams in our division are on an upward swing. What happens in this draft is going to be very important as we are losing some good players to FA, retirement and bad choices (stupidity?). I hope the FO has a good grasp about what needs to be done. Just gotta find someone willing to dance.
Impossible to know at moment how the top 14 picks will go. In two weeks time we will have a better idea, after opening week of free agency, where there are a number of WRs available, and some other very good players too.

I don't expect us to go for any big signing, but some teams drafting ahead of us will have different needs once free agency is out of the way.

Trading up or down really does depend on trade partners, and the value or cost involved. Always got to love people that say trade back and select player x. That is a move that is a recipe for disaster. If we want someone specific you have to take him, unless you get a ridiculous offer for the pick.
Williams is the only player id be happy trading into top 4 for. He wont make it past 3. If white or cooper fall a little id be ok trading up.
I think the logic will be:

* If there isn't one of the top three WR's available (White, Parker or Cooper) or an elite OL/DL (Shelton, Williams, Scherff), I think they move down and try to grab another pick.

Rd 1 - Pick some beef, which may be an Armstead, Davis or the next best OL
Rd 2 - WR, would love Strong, but the next best might be up
Rd 3 - RB, I think there will plenty available and if they get a 2nd pick, this could be the 2nd of the 2
Rd 4 - CB depth
Rd 4 - more likely add for trading down, back up OT/OG
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
IMO the drafts elite difference makers are about 10 deep. If you have a top 5 to top 10 pick I think it makes sense to stay put and pick. If you are at 15 I don't believe any player there will massively transform this team. No one player at 15 will put us over the top. Trading up is also very, very expensive from a points standpoint if you look at the trade chart they have developed. It's just too expensive to trade up in the 1st round. If you trade up in the 2nd or 3rd round that is more manageable especially if you have obtained more picks by trading back. I think that is the way for us to go.

You must consider Justin Smith is older and may retire or drop off anytime. Ray McDonald is gone. Iupati is likely gone. Crabtree is likely gone. Gore may not return. Our NT gets hurt every single year. Sometimes more than one of them. We have big needs at DE, RB, OG, WR, NT and we could use a CB but I think the best one in the draft will likely be gone by #15. I just think trading back for us makes more sense. Fill more needs. We won't get an elite player anyway. Now if we were sitting at the Raiders spot I would say stay put and pick. I think they can get a difference maker there.

I think Kevin White, Danny Shelton and Trae Waynes are all likely gone at #15. Some top players at WR, NT/DT and CB. Some need positions that we could fill. I think those are difference makers. Perhaps one is in play for us. I would be very happy to grab any of the 3. If we can get one stay and pick. If not I would rather trade down. Of course you need somebody to trade down with. That is an opportunity that must present it self. Sometimes it does and sometimes it does not.

By your theory, the 49ers should trade their 1st (15th overall, points value of 1,050) and 2nd (47th overall, points value of 430) for the 7th pick (1,500 points overall) or 8th pick (1,400 points overall) to get one of the 10 players that actually will make an immediate impact on this team versus staying put and grabbing two players that may pan out filling needs. It is basically swapping two players for one, where the one you're acquiring is more of a "sure thing" than the two you're trading away.
Share 49ersWebzone