LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 404 users in the forums

Trading down is better than trading up in this draft for us.

Originally posted by slowriot:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
So I've been thinking about this a lot. It wouldn't be a bad idea to trade out of the 15 spot and contiue to trade back until we can gather at least 20 picks in the 7th round. Imagine the fire power we would have? A whole team of Bruce Millers or Cam Johnsons. Championship!!!

Finally, a fellow outside the box thinker.
The last two times Baalke has traded up in the first round, A. Davis and Reid, it worked out really well for us I'd say! If you like a player, GO GET HIM! How would that trade have worked out had Trent pulled the trigger on the Beckham trade last year? It's nice to have lots of picks but if someone is elite and you can move up 5-7 spots, why not. Last year's jump understandly would have cost an arm and a leg moving to #12 or better. This jump won't cost that much compared to that.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by slowriot:
So I've been thinking about this a lot. It wouldn't be a bad idea to trade out of the 15 spot and contiue to trade back until we can gather at least 20 picks in the 7th round. Imagine the fire power we would have? A whole team of Bruce Millers or Cam Johnsons. Championship!!!

Do you all now see my point??

With all the extra picks we had, Baalke could have used them to move up after targeting a player.. instead, he kept on lookin at Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick of how to keep drafting players who MAY ONE DAY BE A TOM BRADY... and waste all the extra picks on players that no more than a project.
Originally posted by mutant-man49:
The last two times Baalke has traded up in the first round, A. Davis and Reid, it worked out really well for us I'd say! If you like a player, GO GET HIM! How would that trade have worked out had Trent pulled the trigger on the Beckham trade last year? It's nice to have lots of picks but if someone is elite and you can move up 5-7 spots, why not. Last year's jump understandly would have cost an arm and a leg moving to #12 or better. This jump won't cost that much compared to that.

That's a good point, but remember, Baalke talked about the Beckham situation. He said it didn't really matter because the Giants weren't going to move - they were dead set on taking him and I don't blame them. I totally wanted that guy to be a Niner but they had no realistic chance.

It depends on the team you're trading with. We hosed the Cowboys in the Reid trade. Other teams like the Pats would probably never give us something that good.
Originally posted by crake49:

That's a good point, but remember, Baalke talked about the Beckham situation. He said it didn't really matter because the Giants weren't going to move - they were dead set on taking him and I don't blame them. I totally wanted that guy to be a Niner but they had no realistic chance.

He looked damn good last year. Hindsight sucks but if he continues to play like that then no price would have been too steep to jump the giants. That's why being at 15 wouldn't cost as much had we made a move up last year from 29 to 11 or 12

Only twenty? Come on now, you know Trent has his eyes set on all thirty two......wth man?
Originally posted by elguapo:
Not if Parker is still there at 12 or so. Moving up 3 spots may be a good thing, if we want a wr. If we trade back I hope it's not a give up on wilfolk for rashaun woods situation!

Just reading that makes me queasy
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by socal9er42:
Also have to find a willing Trade partner that makes a reasonable offer for the #15.

Question: If there are only "10 Elite Difference makers" in this draft, why would another Team want to give up something for #15?

Just trying to point out that even if the 49ers really do want to trade out because of the situation in how the Draft goes, it may not be able to do so because they couldn't get a good offer. It takes 2 to Tango.

I agree. You need somebody to make an offer. Maybe somebody will want Melvin Gordon and he will be gone by 20 something or whatever. So they want to trade up to 15. It has to fall your way too. You need a trade partner. It can't be made up of thin air.

The way things are going with Adrian Peterson, I don't think he will get by the Vikings
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
IMO the drafts elite difference makers are about 10 deep. If you have a top 5 to top 10 pick I think it makes sense to stay put and pick. If you are at 15 I don't believe any player there will massively transform this team. No one player at 15 will put us over the top. Trading up is also very, very expensive from a points standpoint if you look at the trade chart they have developed. It's just too expensive to trade up in the 1st round. If you trade up in the 2nd or 3rd round that is more manageable especially if you have obtained more picks by trading back. I think that is the way for us to go.

You must consider Justin Smith is older and may retire or drop off anytime. Ray McDonald is gone. Iupati is likely gone. Crabtree is likely gone. Gore may not return. Our NT gets hurt every single year. Sometimes more than one of them. We have big needs at DE, RB, OG, WR, NT and we could use a CB but I think the best one in the draft will likely be gone by #15. I just think trading back for us makes more sense. Fill more needs. We won't get an elite player anyway. Now if we were sitting at the Raiders spot I would say stay put and pick. I think they can get a difference maker there.

I think Kevin White, Danny Shelton and Trae Waynes are all likely gone at #15. Some top players at WR, NT/DT and CB. Some need positions that we could fill. I think those are difference makers. Perhaps one is in play for us. I would be very happy to grab any of the 3. If we can get one stay and pick. If not I would rather trade down. Of course you need somebody to trade down with. That is an opportunity that must present it self. Sometimes it does and sometimes it does not.

Dude I agree, I actually hope the 49ers trade down from 15 and pick up a 2nd or a 3rd. This draft is deep at WR and other positions. 49ers need Quality+ quantity this draft.

It depends on the team you're trading with. We hosed the Cowboys in the Reid trade. Other teams like the Pats would probably never give us something that good.

I really don't think the 49ers "hosed" dallas on the Reid pick.

49ers get Reid a Solid nice Safety and the Cowgirls got a STUDD center and a SOLID #2 WR in Terrance Williams. Both teams came out very good if you ask me.
I have no problem with trading back. However if Devante Parker is on the board I'm a fan of his. They need a WR and he is there take the guy. Im not a fan of Jalen Strong if the top 3 WR are gone and they draft Strong at 15 I will be a little bummed. If the top players on there board are gone I think they should trade down. It would be a great move. maybe trade back two time great get an extra second and third round picks sound great just don't draft an injured player before the 6th round please. I would like to have Devin Funchess as a TE if he will be OK Playing TE . They can trade down take him at end of the first get an extra second then draft a DE and WR in round 2 would work out nice.
We can be sure Baalke will be listening to whatever offers come up...and pick the best one. He's had double-digit picks in the past several drafts...it's kind of become his MO. It makes sense to get more picks, particularly 2nd & 3rd rounders...even 4th rounders. There are lots of good players later in just about every draft. There's so much media hype about the 1st rd it becomes nauseating. The draft is all about quality and finding players who'll help your team...they don't have to be marquee names. So, unless there's a player Baalke and Tomsula just love to death at #15, trading down is likely. I'm looking forward to this draft because even when picking at/near the end, Baalke's wheeling & dealing has yielded some really good players. Working at #15 should be even more interesting.
White is worth trading up for. Other than that I'd prefer we stayed put.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:

I really don't think the 49ers "hosed" dallas on the Reid pick.

49ers get Reid a Solid nice Safety and the Cowgirls got a STUDD center and a SOLID #2 WR in Terrance Williams. Both teams came out very good if you ask me.

When I say "hosed," its not about how each player turned out, but how much was given versus how much was gotten. We jumped a stupid number of spots in the first round and only had to give up a 3rd or 4th, I think. Rarely would you ever get that trade again.
Share 49ersWebzone